Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

My points Iphone 4S problem

Post by starscr3am
I travel 5000 miles per month, if normal driving is calculated as 5 points per mile i should have some insane points per month but thats not the case what gives? :geek:

I use the iphone 4S with this app, normally i just leave the app on so it tracks me where im going.

1. Can i txt, call , use the phone normally yet still gather points on waze although its not loaded on my screen but up on the right corner of my phone i see the > symbol showing its still running.

2. Or should i map my directions so it remembers my routes and tracks my mileage better?

:roll: soooooo lost lol help.
starscr3am

POSTER_ID:8414936

Send a message

Post by RallyChris
Waze was built with the daily commute in mind. Therefore it relies heavily on being able to talk to the servers. It can survive short data outages, but I suspect that with this many miles you are looking at long haul routes, and maybe going through coverage change areas.

The points are all calculated from the route analysis on the server. So if the routes are not showing up in the "My Places -> Drives" part of the editors left hand panel, then there is nothing to give you points for.

I know personally that if you leave network for more than an hour, it will not reconnect. The software will continue to run, but it will not reconnect to the server and any data collected since the outage start is lost. I'm trying to impart on Waze that out of area usage needs to be more robust, but at this point, making sure the servers don't melt down, and map updates start getting processed again, is definitely a higher (and I agree) priority.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by RallyChris
In the current editor (not the old cartouche one), when you first log in, with nothing selected, you should see "My Places <show>" about half way down on the left hand panel (not the pull out panel where details about selected items show)

Click on Show.
Then just below that, click on Drives (show defaults to showing you the areas you can edit)

As far as being minimized, yes you should get points still (as long as you have good network connectivity). The application, unless you purposely turn it off or it crashes, should continue updating your "route" in the server as long as you don't stop moving for an extended period of time. The application does have a safety feature of turning itself off to preserve battery if you stop moving for a while.

Of course this all hinges on then the backend processing gets the data correctly, and analyzes it. Which has been an off and on issue. Most of the times it has to do with loss of network connectivity. As long as the routes get to the server okay, they normally show up, within an hour, unless there are issues, which is a possibility these days.

Check status.waze.com for maybe helpful information on delays or system issues.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by starscr3am
"My Places -> Drives <--- I do not see this menu anywhere?

But with all that said can i still use my phone regularly and still gather points while the app is minimized per say?
starscr3am
Send a message