Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Bunger78
By clicking their avatar on the map on my phone. Is there a place where you can see how many users there are in your region? Thanks!!!
Bunger78
Send a message

Post by Bunger78
Ahhhhh!!!!

So then... I would assume that my rank on the "Me" tab of the scoreboard is from my region, while my rank on the "Friends" tab is for my country.

That makes a LOT more sense!
Bunger78
Send a message

Post by Bunger78
Kinda on topic....

So looking at the US ranking page, I see people that have jumped 9000k'ish positions, suggesting that there are 9 million'ish users at very least on Waze, in the US. If memory serves, there are about 100 million smartphone users in the US, so is Waze really installed on and used by 10% of smartphones owners?

I'm starting to think the percentage tiers are skewed by non-active users. Any ideas?
Bunger78
Send a message

Post by Bunger78
AndyPoms wrote:Based on data from July 5th, 2012:
Waze has 20 millions users world wide... They added 10 million of those users in the first 6 months of 2012... In June 2012, they added just under 2 million users... (http://www.waze.com/blog/waze-hits-20-million-users/)

You're over-thinking this whole ranking thing...
I just think the titles are a little meaningless if they are based on non-active users. You dilute the significance of the ranks when you factor in people who have signed up, used the app once, and never used it again. I frequently see nothing but "Kings" on the map while driving, why bother giving the title at all?
Bunger78
Send a message

Post by Bunger78
daknife wrote:On the other hand, being able to make some quick jumps early on can certainly help people stay interested in Waze due to the social game aspect.
That's what Blizzard thought too in 2009 when they made their billion dollar game, WoW, more "casual player friendly", they then watched their subscriber base fall every year after.

Waze touts itself as the best free rapidly updated navigation, and depends entirely on its users to maintain its mapping database. I actually prefer Google's navigation offering, it just works better, but I like the fun factor that Waze has to offer. Titles are a big part of the reward (for me) for maintaining that database, and it's just my opinion that Waze should take into consideration my input if it wants to keep its users happy.

I'm currently in the top 10 for my state (weekly), and would love to see my name rise to one of the top 3 positions (though I don't have that much spare time), so I'm sure you can understand my frustration when I see so many other kings on the road. If I was to be dethroned, I think I would try just that much harder to regain my title....

Just my $0.02.
Bunger78
Send a message

Post by Bunger78
dmcconachie wrote:Points required to "rank up" are updated on the 1st of the month.
Does the same operation "rank down" users if applicable?
Bunger78
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Bunger78 wrote:My point exactly. I saw a wazer who was a "King" with the rank of 11300 (or so).

11300 / .01 = 1,130,000

That is, for that person to be a "King" there would have to be at least 1.1 million wazers in the state.
Isn't the rank shown the serverwide rank?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Daknife
On the other hand, being able to make some quick jumps early on can certainly help people stay interested in Waze due to the social game aspect.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
I want something unique for being top in my state for the last six+ months without a break. Nobody gets my gold mood. NOBODY!!! :evil: 8-) :lol: Someone did come close last week (I was busy and didn't get near my normal amount of editing in), but I found a couple untouched cities to clean up and pulled ahead the last couple days for the win. :mrgreen:

But Mapcat should get a Miter and a Light-saber(or something neato and unique) for a weapon for all he's done for the maps.

And as to
That's what Blizzard thought too in 2009 when they made their billion dollar game, WoW, more "casual player friendly", they then watched their subscriber base fall every year after.
Yeah that was the cause, not the fact that the game was five years old and tablets, smart phones and other newer games were starting to steal gamers. Evercrack (aka Evercraft) used to dominate the MMORPG realm but then something new came out (called WoW) and it faded, before that it was Ultima Online. WoW has done a far better job of remaining atop the mountain, and making it more friendly to the casual gamer actually helped it stay alive as the PC game market has basically come to a near screeching halt when it comes to new stuff. Especially as the hardcorps gamer generation aged into family and job requirements.

The jumps I was referring to in my post would actually only really come at the beginning of a user's experience and provide motivation to keep em coming, but once they climbed past the thousands of tried it once and done dead-weight's they would find climbing the ranks a much slower process. Just as it's been almost half a month since I moved from #16 to #15 on the US charts. :P 14 should happen in the next couple days though.

But enough with that OT stuff, back to getting Mapcat a Miter and a throne and a herd of purple one-eyed monsters with crowns bowing before him, or maybe since the mega-wazer moods bounce he could be bouncing on a herd of purple monsters. :lol:
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by dmcconachie
I tend to agree, ranks should also be more granular even if it means having ranks within each grade, eg Shield 1,2,3, Sword 1,2,3 etc.

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status