Lost Points

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Lost Points

Postby cobra » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 pm

Maybe you'll need to plan your trips with waze and a cell phone tower map? :twisted:

I read somewhere that the newer clients save points even when network disconnected, so hopefully you'll see less of this.
cobra

Postby krankyd » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:33 am

Have a safe drive!
wazing like a hurricane
krankyd
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby Lemon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:57 pm

I'm starting to think that i've lost a bunch of my points. Over the weekend I was up to 1500 or so points on the client and yet as of today on the client it shows that I have now accumulated just over 1100.
Nexus One | Waze 1.8.99.104 | 2007 Volkswagen GTI | Twin Cities Metro Area Manager | Northeast Iowa Area Manager
Lemon

Postby mitchejj » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:37 pm

eg09 wrote:I'm starting to think that i've lost a bunch of my points. Over the weekend I was up to 1500 or so points on the client and yet as of today on the client it shows that I have now accumulated just over 1100.

I had that problem over the weekend... then they all appeared back again. All my data for those dates took a few days to appear on the server... so maybe your data hasn't been processed yet.
Wiki all knowledge!
Metro Detroit Area Manger servicing central Macomb County
mitchejj

Postby phreakwenci » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:13 pm

I've driven well over 4000 points.. yet my ranking is still at 2700+ I should be nearing 5000 by now. Last time I used waze before today was yesterday, before then almost a week. Fail...
phreakwenci

Postby RallyChris » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:40 pm

Points are really calculated on the server side. The client is side is purely approximate, and may give you points in places where you might not be eligible. So corrections and delays in processing might cause up and down swings.

IE: I've had roads that I've driven on in the past, show up with dots again. The client gives me the points because of the dots, but the server when it calculates my true points, may not give me the points because it remembers I have driven that road already.

IE #2: Or the client thought I was on one road but when analyzed by the server which use a more exact algorithm it shows I was on a road that I already got points for.

I won't admit there are scenarios which cause points to be lost. Most of them seem to be related to connection issues, and the client not connected back to the servers correctly. The devs are actively working this (I know, I've been sending them logs, and chatting to them about it).

The other issue is popularity. The product is in start up mode. A good thing, they have gained a lot of popularity. The bad thing, the servers are having a problem keeping up. The points are suppose to be calculated daily, but the amount of data coming in, is making it so that process is falling behind.

Also note that Rank is not directly related to point total. There are a lot of people running the application so even if you run a lot points up, so could everybody else.

The whole points/rank thing is being reworked behind the scenes, so for the time being. Just go with the flow. The goal here is to make the best maps/traffic/social network.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby The Fej » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:20 pm

I will have this checked. I double checked the calculations in the database when I made them (and picked some 30 users to see nothing was lost) but I will reinvestigate what the client calculates and whether there is some correlation problem. Being a packers/bucks/brewers (and badgers) fan, I will have that fixed.
The Fej
Waze Management
Waze Management

Lost Points

Postby usmarinesjz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:03 am

I am a wazer in Chicago and I made a trip on August 22, 2009 to Green Bay, Wisconsin. On my way there I amassed a total of 54K points from having 32K points. When I left Green Bay later that night, as I was just there for the Green Bay Packers football game, I was really disappointed in the fact that it only showed 38K points! It was pretty shocking but I figured that it was just delaying putting the points in. On the way back to Chicago I got back up to 44K but considering that in total I should have had in the area of 62K to 63K i am really disappointed. Due to the driving I have been doing even after that I am back up to 51K (not even what I got on the way to Green Bay) this is really upsetting. I love waze but i'm also a bit competitive and I want my points back. Mathematically I should be at about 89-90K but above all it's kind of the principal of the matter. I understand that it's still in alpha and that there will be bugs but this would be the type of thing that could cause someone to not want to use it. Not me though cause I actually love the application but still...I want my points back!
usmarinesjz

Postby usmarinesjz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:47 pm

Hey Fej. Thanks for looking into it. I hope my post didn't sound harsh. I was trying to sound lighthearted but in rereading it, it could have sounding a bit like I was trying to be mean. I basically am curious as to why my points are gone since it gave me so many on the way there and on the way back and then took them away. Like I said I'm a bit competitive and haven't forgiven myself for dropping from at my peak being ranked around 40 to now being around 100. Keep up the good work guys and to The Fej...Go Pack Go!
usmarinesjz

Postby usmarinesjz » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:34 pm

Just wanted to let you know that my points are going to increase a lot today since I am driving from Chicago to Moline IL. I am at 52K right now and I'll try to post when I get to Moline. If not I'll post when I get back to Chicago and let you know if I lose anymore points.
usmarinesjz

Next

Return to Ranks and Points