Many users with names like world_xxxxxxxx

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Many users with names like world_xxxxxxxx

Postby dallardyce » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:37 pm

davipt wrote:If you used facebook, try the following:
- remove the app
- reinstall the app
- on start, click on login and then login with Facebook
- double check it's your account on wazer->my wazer -> age of your account for example
- follow the faq instructions: settings->waze account-> register -> enter new username, pass, nickname and the email address, which can be the one from Facebook, of if you get an error, any other email.
- login into the client with that username
- on the forum, click on the footer on the "clear all cookies" and login with the new account.

The trick is to start from scratch, login with Facebook to regain the world_account, and *then* create the real account.

I can confirm that the above steps worked for me too - I have managed to "convert" my world_ username into a proper one :)

Thanks davipt!
dallardyce

Postby davipt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:04 pm

I've been seeing users in my Country that somehow got the world_xxx account working on the website and forum and now they can't change it. It does seem somehow related to logging in with facebook first, but the issue is that they are now locked into the world_xxx account and can't change them. I've suggested them to ask support to change the account, but never got an answer if there was any feedback from waze or not. But they are a lot now! IMHO those users should be forced to pick a username before entering the forum or even the editor, or in other words, not be allowed to use the forum and editor with a temporary account. It's a mess on the map!
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:40 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The nanorep tool on the Support page has instructions on getting a real userid.

The nanorep mentions deleting the account, which most people with enough point don't want to do.

What I need to find out is how can they get a password and the world account to login into the wme. This is where I think the bug is. I'll reinstall my client to test it out.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:50 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The nanorep tool on the Support page has instructions on getting a real userid.

I don't see that the link says anything about deleting anything.

Code: Select all
Change username
If you have a temporary username (usa_xxx or world_xxx) and you want to change it please read here: Change temporary user

Temporary due to servers upgrade there is no option to change a username.

For now the only option is to delete the account and create a new one (send us a request to delete the account).

Give me some minutes to try it out. I need to fight with my device to convince it to have a new facebook account and reinstall the client and all those things, because now I'm really curious about the issue - and I want to give a proper answer to my world_xxx climbing guys on my country's scoreboard. :)
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:05 pm

Alan, I see what you mean because I honestly can't find a way to keep a world_xxx account at all. All my attempts forces me to either have the temporary account but no way to get a password to access the editor and the forum, or forces me to enter a new username and password. And I'm sure people are not picking up world_xxx by themselves. I've asked one of my world_xxx guys to try to explain exactly what he did to get that account and password.

Any idea what happened here?

Just a clarification that there is an expected case of people that just drive with waze and never create an account (or use facebook), and may climb the scoreboard just by driving and reporting, and there may be reports and cameras on the map with world_xxx accounts. This is all ok IMHO.

The issue I see is world_xxx accounts logging in into the forum and into the editor, meaning if you see any post from such account, or any segment edited from such account, this IMHO should never happen and I'm really curious how can one get a password for such account...
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:49 pm

mssusa wrote:I believe that the last updated date on the editor does not necessarily mean that someone has actually logged on and edited the segment. Somehow the system has made a change to the segment because of an action by that user. It *could be * cookies munched, drives causing geometry changes, drives causing a node to be created on an intersection, confirming a client paved road,... Anything!

Disclaimer : how the system behaves in your server/country is different from how it behaves in other servers/countries.

True, true. Also I'm pretty sure I saw world_xxx users posting on the forum, but right now I can't find anyone, nor PM any user, so either I was drunk or there was a cleanup.

Either way I've asked my guy about more details. Unfortunately it's not his account, but a friend of his, and the only info I have on the forum is that he can login into the website and see the dashboard link and see the world_xxx on the username field, so somehow he did manage to get a password whilst keep the world_xxx username. Maybe it was a glitch on the system at that time? Let me wait for his comment
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:08 pm

Ok here we go, I was sure I was not crazy. Tell me how can a user create an account world_xxx and have a password to enter the forum and the editor?

Here's one guy that answered me on the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=41463&p=378291#p378291
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13475376

And one that closed one of my reports, hence has WME access:
world_4kb0yo5p

What could this have happened? And, coming back to my point, how can these guys now change their username to a proper one without deleting the account and loosing all the points?
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davipt wrote:And, coming back to my point, how can these guys now change their username to a proper one without deleting the account and loosing all the points?

The process in the self-help tool involves deleting the original account? I'm pretty sure people have changed their temporary name without losing points before....

The username can't be changed on the /dashboard website since the migration to the new architecture. It was announced by waze.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:32 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davipt wrote:The username can't be changed on the /dashboard website since the migration to the new architecture. It was announced by waze.

The instructions for changing the temporary username really just involves creating a regular Waze account. No points should be lost as the facebook link keeps that intact.

We really need someone to verify this actually works before we state it can't be done. The only thing nanorep says is that a username cannot be changed, but that is different than the temporary account, supposedly.

We are definitively talking about different things, albeit with the same result at the end, so I'm gonna go and create a new thread with my specific case.

To terminate my "hijack" here, let me just clarify the following:
- the usage of waze without authentication is working perfectly (some glitches with facebook later, but that's another story)
- usa_xxx and world_xxx users climbing on the scoreboard, by driving and reporting stuff is great, that is the objective
- the process to create a proper account, as described on the support nanorep should be working

but

there are usa_xxx and world_xxx users accessing the forum and the editor, and now they seem to not know or be able to change their usernames anymore without loosing the points.

So I'm gonna expose this case now that I understand how it happens...
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:09 am

world_b85zy5cs wrote:Hi

I can confirm that it's, at the moment, impossible for me to change my username to a proper one without loosing my current points.

I'm now on world_b85zy5cs, I would like Sweo, which I use as nick.

When I first installed the app, I connected via Facebook which caused Waze to create this temporary username for me.

If you used facebook, try the following:
- remove the app
- reinstall the app
- on start, click on login and then login with Facebook
- double check it's your account on wazer->my wazer -> age of your account for example
- follow the faq instructions: settings->waze account-> register -> enter new username, pass, nickname and the email address, which can be the one from Facebook, of if you get an error, any other email.
- login into the client with that username
- on the forum, click on the footer on the "clear all cookies" and login with the new account.

The trick is to start from scratch, login with Facebook to regain the world_account, and *then* create the real account.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Ranks and Points