Map editing should NOT get you the most points!

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Map editing should NOT get you the most points!

Postby razor2k » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:58 pm

sahls72 wrote: It would have saved me from an editor, with a sick sense of humor, that tried to route me through nothing but gas station parking lots and alleys. Of course I understand how difficult it would be to implement a system like this while keeping vandalism under control.

Can you permalink some examples?
razor2k

Postby sahls72 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:08 pm

I use Waze to navigate across the country. User reports are very important to me.

Most of my destinations drop me into very rural areas so I tend to find many unedited communities. Or even worse, partially edited communities. Therefore editors are very important to me.

I drive all day then edit in the hotel room. My reward is a selfish one and does not include points or gold stars. I can now use Waze when I revisit those communities. Without a doubt, the most important areas to keep in order are the major population centers but there are plenty of opportunities for points if you look outside of them.

I think a nice feature, to have would be allowing people to edit along routes before they drive off. Plan a trip on the live map, look for problems, then fix them before you hit the road. It would have saved me from an editor, with a sick sense of humor, that tried to route me through nothing but gas station parking lots and alleys. Of course I understand how difficult it would be to implement a system like this while keeping vandalism under control.
sahls72
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby foxitrot » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:45 pm

My off-topic thought:
Ericular wrote:... how can we get there? How can Waze improve to appeal to more drivers? Are we lacking more in road & turn accuracy, or lack of real-time data and road reports?

Since my beginning with Waze, my opinion was always that Waze will never be able to make a real breakthrough, until the client will be able to calculate a decent route in offline mode, off course including the knowledge of such trivialities like house numbers and POIs. While being a useful and appealing navi, it could convince high percentage of its users or testers to make use of its wonderful online features. Otherwise, it will possibly never spread itself out of the most populated metropolitan areas.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Ericular » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:27 pm

Can't we all just be on the same team, working towards the same end result of producing the best navigation app out there?

I imagine a world where every driver used Waze. The ultimate realization of "perfected" navigation. Every road has accurate, live speed data, routing is efficient, destination arrival times are dead-on. So then I think - how can we get there? How can Waze improve to appeal to more drivers? Are we lacking more in road & turn accuracy, or lack of real-time data and road reports? In my very limited frame of reference, I think new users in my area will experience (and be turned off by) map issues more often than lack of live data and incident reports. Perhaps this is why the points scales are tilted a bit towards editors vs. drivers.

That said, we all need each other, right? Drivers would be lost (literally) without the millions of edits made by dedicated editors over the years. Editors benefit from user reports, automatically identified map errors, GPS tracks, road paving, etc. Drivers also provide incentive. I edit roads I've never driven and never will, in the hopes that I can help someone else have a good experience. If I was the only driver using the data, I wouldn't bother with those roads.

Can't we all just get along? :mrgreen:
Ericular

Postby Twister-UK » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:35 am

Dave2084 wrote:I wish Waze had a tool where I could find all MY URs

If you get into the habit of tagging your URs with your username or some other unique bit of text, you could at least use the keyword filter in LMUR to fairly quickly scan across the country and find all your open URs. It's not an ideal solution I grant you, and I too would love it if the UR data contained some way to reliably determine if the UR is one of yours or not - wouldn't need to be a user ID with all the potential privacy implications Waze are so concerned about, just a simple "submittedByMe" boolean flag would suffice - but until that happens it's about the best we've got.

Dave2084 wrote:I think this shows that points wise WME rewards editors more than Cartouche did, but that incentive is to make the maps better and having been here since the pre basemap days where we had a blank map it certainly needed it.

Coming back onto topic, I'm personally not that bothered about how many points I do or don't earn from editing, so I don't think I'd actually care one bit if the only way to earn points was by driving. What I DO care about as an editor is the number of edits I've got, because that's what's important when it comes to determining editor levels and thus how effective you can be as an editor. Not too happy about the recent increase in edits required for L5 status - I'm now further away from becoming a L5 than I was when I got my L4 promotion despite several months of editing since then :x

Dave2084 wrote:Going slightly off topic, it's sad that new users (in the base-mapped countries at least) will never experience the thrill of spending all day paving roads and then a few days later munching miles of cookies on the same roads, that's what got me hooked!

Quite. Even a year and a big ago when I started, SE England still had enough unmapped or mapped but yet to be driven roads to make finding one not too difficult, whereas these days the only paving action to be had is on new build estates (and having now driven around a few of those this past year, I'm bloody pleased I don't have to drive in and out of one every day - narrow twisty access roads, blind corners/junctions, barely enough space to get past cars parked in the few allocated spaces...) and even the cul-de-sacs that always used to be the last preserve of pacman action have mostly been nibbled away leaving barely anything to do.
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Dave2084 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:38 pm

I sit in both camps, I've done 427k edits and 73k miles and I find both sides of the Waze coin equally rewarding.

I drop URs all over the UK and then like nothing more than finding them and fixing them ... I wish Waze had a tool where I could find all MY URs, often I have to rely on other editors closing them so I can either a) check their work, b) solve it myself (marked "not identified") or c) PM them for closing the UR and doing nothing (marked "solved" and not fixed).

As for drivers? The current UK #6 is a driver who does a little editing, back in the cartouche days he was #1 and neither of us has changed our Waze habits much. I think this shows that points wise WME rewards editors more than Cartouche did, but that incentive is to make the maps better and having been here since the pre basemap days where we had a blank map it certainly needed it.

Going slightly off topic, it's sad that new users (in the base-mapped countries at least) will never experience the thrill of spending all day paving roads and then a few days later munching miles of cookies on the same roads, that's what got me hooked!
Dave2084
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby nnote » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:12 pm

If RoadPaPa comes through AZ which he does once and awhile he makes a killer score just driving, beats my editing.
nnote
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby iainhouse » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:41 pm

harling wrote:I think it would be very revealing to turn the statement around and ask the plaintiff, "Who do you think should get the most points?" I wonder how often the answer will boil down to the guy in the mirror.

I'm sure you're right. Look back up this thread and you'll see most of the comments are from "editors", justifying why editing is worth the most points (including me).

If "drivers" frequented the forums more, there would be much less of a one-sided debate (but a useful debate nonetheless).

Then again, there are never going to be many "drivers" on the forums. Once they come here, we have a bad habit of getting them addicted and converting them into "editors", who will then believe editing should get the most points. :lol:
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby harling » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:58 am

razor2k wrote:
harling wrote:I think it would be very revealing to turn the statement around and ask the plaintiff, "Who do you think should get the most points?" I wonder how often the answer will boil down to the guy in the mirror.

Maybe not as often as you would think...not everyone has an agenda;)

My guess would have been 9 out of 10 complainants. And I don't mean their response would be a blantant "I should get the most points", but whoever they describe as the most deserving, I'd bet at least 90% would fall into that category themselves.
harling

Postby razor2k » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:14 am

Maybe not as often as you would think...not everyone has an agenda;)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
razor2k

PreviousNext

Return to Ranks and Points