Map editing should NOT get you the most points!

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Map editing should NOT get you the most points!

Postby enhket » Mon May 27, 2013 5:45 am

:?: if i edit 15 hours, it is certainly not fair to get the same amount of points as someone who edits 3 hours.
Christopher Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby enhket » Thu May 30, 2013 4:58 pm

You want us to do your homework?
Christopher Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby Ericular » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:27 pm

Can't we all just be on the same team, working towards the same end result of producing the best navigation app out there?

I imagine a world where every driver used Waze. The ultimate realization of "perfected" navigation. Every road has accurate, live speed data, routing is efficient, destination arrival times are dead-on. So then I think - how can we get there? How can Waze improve to appeal to more drivers? Are we lacking more in road & turn accuracy, or lack of real-time data and road reports? In my very limited frame of reference, I think new users in my area will experience (and be turned off by) map issues more often than lack of live data and incident reports. Perhaps this is why the points scales are tilted a bit towards editors vs. drivers.

That said, we all need each other, right? Drivers would be lost (literally) without the millions of edits made by dedicated editors over the years. Editors benefit from user reports, automatically identified map errors, GPS tracks, road paving, etc. Drivers also provide incentive. I edit roads I've never driven and never will, in the hopes that I can help someone else have a good experience. If I was the only driver using the data, I wouldn't bother with those roads.

Can't we all just get along? :mrgreen:
Refining Minnesota's 86,939 square miles, one at a time!
Google Nexus 4 | Android 4.2.2
Ericular

Postby foxitrot » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:45 pm

My off-topic thought:
Ericular wrote:... how can we get there? How can Waze improve to appeal to more drivers? Are we lacking more in road & turn accuracy, or lack of real-time data and road reports?

Since my beginning with Waze, my opinion was always that Waze will never be able to make a real breakthrough, until the client will be able to calculate a decent route in offline mode, off course including the knowledge of such trivialities like house numbers and POIs. While being a useful and appealing navi, it could convince high percentage of its users or testers to make use of its wonderful online features. Otherwise, it will possibly never spread itself out of the most populated metropolitan areas.
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new crashing Android 3.7.xx.yyy (SG-A2 JealousBin).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fvwazing » Mon May 27, 2013 7:13 am

Given that there are 99 drivers to 1 editor, given that all editors work in their spare time and half the drivers are paid (by their boss) to drive 8h per day anyway, there can be no doubt who contributes most to the Waze ecosystem.

Oh, and the internets provide ample opportunity for EXTRAVERTS to compete for attention. Leave Waze-editing to the rest, please. Still, I wished that drivers could get their own scoreboard so that they can compare their measly gains among themselves.

Sheesh.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby harling » Tue May 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Frankly, I don't get what the big deal is about points.

What do points do for drivers: Bragging rights about who has driven the most miles with Waze? Hazard reports and "not there" feedback given more credence than those of a brand-new Wazer?

For editors, it is related to the size of the area in which they are allowed to do (unpaid) work for Waze. As for credibility among other editors (e.g., on the forums): one's points score is a less reliable indicator than it used to be. These days an editor's reputation is established in the forum, not on the scoreboard.

As for experienced editors "racking up points": many of us earned our stripes on the previous editor, which allowed only one edit per save. These days, racking up points very quickly gets you extra scrutiny by CMs, to make sure you aren't making useless edits for points.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Thu May 30, 2013 11:46 am

razor2k wrote:From what I see, only CM's say "I don't get what the big deal is about points". When someone can be a member (and I use that term loosely) of the 700k club in 10 months (not you), obviously extra scrutiny is not part of that equation...

Oh yes, if you are a relatively unknown editor cranking out 100K points per week, you absolutely do get extra scrutiny. On more than one occasion, editors have been demoted or even banned from editing because we found that they were making thousands upon thousands of useless (or damaging) edits to drive up their scores. In other cases, their work has turned out to be genuine, and they evidently have a lot of time to devote to the task.
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:20 am

I think it would be very revealing to turn the statement around and ask the plaintiff, "Who do you think should get the most points?" I wonder how often the answer will boil down to the guy in the mirror.
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:58 am

razor2k wrote:
harling wrote:I think it would be very revealing to turn the statement around and ask the plaintiff, "Who do you think should get the most points?" I wonder how often the answer will boil down to the guy in the mirror.

Maybe not as often as you would think...not everyone has an agenda;)

My guess would have been 9 out of 10 complainants. And I don't mean their response would be a blantant "I should get the most points", but whoever they describe as the most deserving, I'd bet at least 90% would fall into that category themselves.
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Map editing should NOT get you the most points!

Postby Haydenray » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:49 pm

CBenson wrote:Well as you noted this was a previously dead topic so I thought I'd be brief.

But as far as substance goes, the point is that you don't need to rise in points to advance as an editor. The argument would go something like this. Editors get to show their progress though their editing rank. This is unaffected by how many points/edit you get. Thus you could let those that are driving and reporting get rewarded by rising in the points scoreboard and let editors get rewarded through their editing rank. You would do this by map editing not getting the most points.

As a veteran Waze US Champ, please tell us what is the (most current ruling), regarding "editors getting rewarded through their editing rank" ? Example... what is the reward earned for achieving the rank of level 6? Also what if any are the rewards for achieving more than 500,000 Edits? Waze documents that the editor is then qualified for CM and also "country-wide" editing rights.
This is the pathway that most of you senior editors took, correct?

[mod: fixed quotation]
Area Mgr:SW Idaho, Boise, Id; & Spokane, Washington USA
Waze 3.7.8 I-phone 5 (I.O.S. ver 7.0.6), (Chrome ver 34.0.1847.116) Windows 7, 64bit
Haydenray
Haydenray

PreviousNext

Return to Ranks and Points