Map editing should NOT get you the most points!

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Map editing should NOT get you the most points!

Postby harling » Tue May 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Frankly, I don't get what the big deal is about points.

What do points do for drivers: Bragging rights about who has driven the most miles with Waze? Hazard reports and "not there" feedback given more credence than those of a brand-new Wazer?

For editors, it is related to the size of the area in which they are allowed to do (unpaid) work for Waze. As for credibility among other editors (e.g., on the forums): one's points score is a less reliable indicator than it used to be. These days an editor's reputation is established in the forum, not on the scoreboard.

As for experienced editors "racking up points": many of us earned our stripes on the previous editor, which allowed only one edit per save. These days, racking up points very quickly gets you extra scrutiny by CMs, to make sure you aren't making useless edits for points.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby TruckOttr » Tue May 28, 2013 7:55 pm

The point scheme needs to be overhauled and split between editing and driving in my opinion and changed so it's just rank or level.

The vast majority of Wazers are casual Wazers, A small subset of the Waze community are "power users", known as whales in the social media world. The whales typically keep a social media company afloat (no pun intended). For example, It's commonly believed that Facebook and Zynga get 70% of their revenue from only 2% of their active user base.

Facebook, Zynga and other social media companies go through great pains to coddle their whales with special gatherings that are only available to them, fast tracks on "insider knowledge", extra perks and abilities that nobody else can have. Compare this to what Waze does and you will see the parallels right down the line.

The difference though, is that most social media companies like to hide this dirty little secret and who the whales are. Instead of points, you have "badges" and extra things such as different avatars, buildings etc. The illusion is kept that anybody will be able to get these, so that the casual user keeps interested and pursuing something they will most likely never get.

The whales are visible if you look, but most casual users don't piece it together and see the proverbial "man behind the curtain" pulling the strings. Waze's current point system however lays that all bare for all to see. You know exactly who the whales are and how far you will need to go to get there. Unfortunately, this ends up discouraging casual and new users in the long run. You need to keep a steady churn of new users so that the occasional whale will surface (pun intended) to add to your revenue stream.

If Facebook purchases Waze, I expect that the point system will get revamped with a lot more "special badges" and "special moods", etc. and most likely more obscurity as to who is a whale and who is not.
ImageImage
Hayward, CA, Reno/Sparks, NV, Elko/Spring Creek, NV and apparently the N. NV section of Portola Valley, CA. :-)
TruckOttr

Postby razor2k » Tue May 28, 2013 11:43 pm

harling wrote:Frankly, I don't get what the big deal is about points.

As for experienced editors "racking up points": many of us earned our stripes on the previous editor, which allowed only one edit per save. These days, racking up points very quickly gets you extra scrutiny by CMs, to make sure you aren't making useless edits for points.

From what I see, only CM's say "I don't get what the big deal is about points". When someone can be a member (and I use that term loosely) of the 700k club in 10 months (not you), obviously extra scrutiny is not part of that equation.

Not trying to be argumentative...but my head isn't buried in the sand either. Just calling a spade a spade.
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual
razor2k
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby harling » Thu May 30, 2013 11:46 am

razor2k wrote:From what I see, only CM's say "I don't get what the big deal is about points". When someone can be a member (and I use that term loosely) of the 700k club in 10 months (not you), obviously extra scrutiny is not part of that equation...

Oh yes, if you are a relatively unknown editor cranking out 100K points per week, you absolutely do get extra scrutiny. On more than one occasion, editors have been demoted or even banned from editing because we found that they were making thousands upon thousands of useless (or damaging) edits to drive up their scores. In other cases, their work has turned out to be genuine, and they evidently have a lot of time to devote to the task.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Thu May 30, 2013 12:58 pm

I'm definitely a Champ that bucks the trend, I think editors are over-rewarded in terms of points.
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby petervdveen » Thu May 30, 2013 1:11 pm

maybe a 750pt candy for every 1000KM? ;-)
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby maantje76 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:33 pm

dmcconachie wrote:I'm definitely a Champ that bucks the trend, I think editors are over-rewarded in terms of points.

Since wme, yes!
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby mwburn » Thu May 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Let me make an attempt at an analogy, we'll call it the analogy of 2 restaurants. :-)

You have 2 restaurants, A & B, they charge a single flat fee to eat there, and it's the same price at both.

Restaurant A:
- There are less food options to choose from, and the menu never changes.
- The food isn't all that good, prepared ahead of time, and no special orders.
- The wait staff is excellent, very attentive, ensures your drink is always full, they're friendly, etc.
- The atmosphere is very pleasant and fun.

Restaurant B:
- There are a lot more food options to choose from, and new items appear regularly (i.e. seasonal).
- The food is excellent, prepared fresh, and special orders are accommodated.
- The wait staff is average, don't spend a lot of time being overly attentive, may not always keep you drink full, but you do get your food on time.
- The atmosphere is nothing special, but is not unpleasant either.

Which is likely to have more customers?
Which would you rather eat at?
Which would you recommend?
I'd be ranked higher if I drove more than 5 miles to work. :-(
But I only have to drive 5 miles to work. :-)

mwburn

Postby enhket » Thu May 30, 2013 4:58 pm

You want us to do your homework?
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby dmcconachie » Thu May 30, 2013 7:26 pm

maantje76 wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:I'm definitely a Champ that bucks the trend, I think editors are over-rewarded in terms of points.

Since wme, yes!

Oh definitely. 7500pt candies wouldn't have been enough to compensate for time in cartouche! Remember when 50 hour weeks on Waze only just got you through 10k points? :-\
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

PreviousNext

Return to Ranks and Points