Map editing should NOT get you the most points!

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Map editing should NOT get you the most points!

Postby mwburn » Thu May 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Let me make an attempt at an analogy, we'll call it the analogy of 2 restaurants. :-)

You have 2 restaurants, A & B, they charge a single flat fee to eat there, and it's the same price at both.

Restaurant A:
- There are less food options to choose from, and the menu never changes.
- The food isn't all that good, prepared ahead of time, and no special orders.
- The wait staff is excellent, very attentive, ensures your drink is always full, they're friendly, etc.
- The atmosphere is very pleasant and fun.

Restaurant B:
- There are a lot more food options to choose from, and new items appear regularly (i.e. seasonal).
- The food is excellent, prepared fresh, and special orders are accommodated.
- The wait staff is average, don't spend a lot of time being overly attentive, may not always keep you drink full, but you do get your food on time.
- The atmosphere is nothing special, but is not unpleasant either.

Which is likely to have more customers?
Which would you rather eat at?
Which would you recommend?
I'd be ranked higher if I drove more than 5 miles to work. :-(
But I only have to drive 5 miles to work. :-)

mwburn

Postby mpawlicki » Fri May 31, 2013 3:06 pm

TruckOttr wrote:The point scheme needs to be overhauled and split between editing and driving in my opinion and changed so it's just rank or level.

I couldn't agree more, however, I already see the new threads titled "Professional truck driving should NOT get you the most points!".
I think Waze could make the experience more rewarding with badges and extra points for achievements. Just like the editors get extra candies, perhaps the drivers could have repeatable candies for achievements.
mpawlicki

Postby maantje76 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:33 pm

dmcconachie wrote:I'm definitely a Champ that bucks the trend, I think editors are over-rewarded in terms of points.

Since wme, yes!
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:38 pm

DragonDon wrote:I don't think just putting the most hours in means you should get most points, really. That's a truly flawed thinking!

As I repeatedly said, it's a matter of LIFESTYLE more than anything. Some people's lifestyle wish to rather spent it on socialing activities, or adventures outdoors than spending time on a computer editing maps.

If an Olympic athlete wants to achieve the metal round, don't they have to put in the time and effort training and building up for that? I am not saying editing is the only source of contribution, but your comment that a person's lifestyle permitting major contributions to Waze should not be taken into account seems flawed to me.

Time and effort that is given to Waze to make it better should be some gauge of contribution and therefore points. Time is money. All the time spent by editors has a dollar value. If Waze was spending their cash to get people to do all this effort, how much would they pay each activity? I don't have the answer, but I'm just pointing out the differences.
USA: California (Northern, SF/SJ)

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:53 am

It is not always about the points. Some of us spent hundreds of hours working on the Wiki for the betterment of the community without a single earned point. :mrgreen:

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:16 am

Without the maps there would be no driving. There is so much that needs to be done to the maps to get them fully functional around the world, Waze determined that they wanted more points to go that way. Certainly at some point most of the maps will be more or less complete, and you will no longer see so many points for editing the map.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby karantechie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:36 pm

i completely agree with what has been posted, Priority should be given to the people who are on the road driving and reporting, Map editors should be given on some other category and they can have ranking among map editors and not in common, This will make people to show less interest if they cannot see their name on the top after driving and reporting so much :) just my view and not offending any one in particular
karantechie

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 pm

sahls72 wrote:It would have saved me from an editor, with a sick sense of humor, that tried to route me through nothing but gas station parking lots and alleys. Of course I understand how difficult it would be to implement a system like this while keeping vandalism under control.

This sort of thing should be reported to your Regional Coordinator immediately with a permalink. Vandalism of the map is taken very seriously.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby jasonh300 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:31 am

Your logic is flawed. You have to realize that the top map editors have each put in thousands of hours into providing the maps that you use for free.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby iainhouse » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:41 pm

harling wrote:I think it would be very revealing to turn the statement around and ask the plaintiff, "Who do you think should get the most points?" I wonder how often the answer will boil down to the guy in the mirror.

I'm sure you're right. Look back up this thread and you'll see most of the comments are from "editors", justifying why editing is worth the most points (including me).

If "drivers" frequented the forums more, there would be much less of a one-sided debate (but a useful debate nonetheless).

Then again, there are never going to be many "drivers" on the forums. Once they come here, we have a bad habit of getting them addicted and converting them into "editors", who will then believe editing should get the most points. :lol:
ImageImageImage
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

PreviousNext

Return to Ranks and Points