Map editing should NOT get you the most points!

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Map editing should NOT get you the most points!

Postby floppyrod84 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:04 pm

dmcconachie wrote:
maantje76 wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:I'm definitely a Champ that bucks the trend, I think editors are over-rewarded in terms of points.

Since wme, yes!

Oh definitely. 7500pt candies wouldn't have been enough to compensate for time in cartouche! Remember when 50 hour weeks on Waze only just got you through 10k points? :-\

All too well. Mainly the reason why I'm so far behind. That and I have a life ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby mpawlicki » Fri May 31, 2013 3:06 pm

TruckOttr wrote:The point scheme needs to be overhauled and split between editing and driving in my opinion and changed so it's just rank or level.

I couldn't agree more, however, I already see the new threads titled "Professional truck driving should NOT get you the most points!".
I think Waze could make the experience more rewarding with badges and extra points for achievements. Just like the editors get extra candies, perhaps the drivers could have repeatable candies for achievements.
mpawlicki

Postby harling » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:20 am

I think it would be very revealing to turn the statement around and ask the plaintiff, "Who do you think should get the most points?" I wonder how often the answer will boil down to the guy in the mirror.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby Daknife » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:54 am

harling wrote:I think it would be very revealing to turn the statement around and ask the plaintiff, "Who do you think should get the most points?" I wonder how often the answer will boil down to the guy in the mirror.
ME ME ME, oh, oops, just proved your point. :lol: ;)
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby razor2k » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:14 am

harling wrote:I think it would be very revealing to turn the statement around and ask the plaintiff, "Who do you think should get the most points?" I wonder how often the answer will boil down to the guy in the mirror.

Maybe not as often as you would think...not everyone has an agenda;)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual
razor2k

Postby harling » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:58 am

razor2k wrote:

Maybe not as often as you would think...not everyone has an agenda;)

My guess would have been 9 out of 10 complainants. And I don't mean their response would be a blantant "I should get the most points", but whoever they describe as the most deserving, I'd bet at least 90% would fall into that category themselves.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby iainhouse » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm sure you're right. Look back up this thread and you'll see most of the comments are from "editors", justifying why editing is worth the most points (including me).

If "drivers" frequented the forums more, there would be much less of a one-sided debate (but a useful debate nonetheless).

Then again, there are never going to be many "drivers" on the forums. Once they come here, we have a bad habit of getting them addicted and converting them into "editors", who will then believe editing should get the most points. :lol:
UK Country Administrator
AM: London (DELETED), S Wales
Waze 3.7.3 • iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3) • Chrome/W7x64
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby nnote » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:12 pm

If RoadPaPa comes through AZ which he does once and awhile he makes a killer score just driving, beats my editing.
USA Territories Regional Coordinator : USA Champ : L6 State Manager Arizona
G+ Waze Arizona
Waze Arizona Twitter
nnote
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Dave2084 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:38 pm

I sit in both camps, I've done 427k edits and 73k miles and I find both sides of the Waze coin equally rewarding.

I drop URs all over the UK and then like nothing more than finding them and fixing them ... I wish Waze had a tool where I could find all MY URs, often I have to rely on other editors closing them so I can either a) check their work, b) solve it myself (marked "not identified") or c) PM them for closing the UR and doing nothing (marked "solved" and not fixed).

As for drivers? The current UK #6 is a driver who does a little editing, back in the cartouche days he was #1 and neither of us has changed our Waze habits much. I think this shows that points wise WME rewards editors more than Cartouche did, but that incentive is to make the maps better and having been here since the pre basemap days where we had a blank map it certainly needed it.

Going slightly off topic, it's sad that new users (in the base-mapped countries at least) will never experience the thrill of spending all day paving roads and then a few days later munching miles of cookies on the same roads, that's what got me hooked!
iPhone 6S Plus (Jailed) • iOS 9.2.1 • Waze 4.2
Level 6 Editor • Lincolnshire Area Manager • UK Country Administrator • iOS Beta Tester
UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status
Dave2084
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby Twister-UK » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:35 am

Dave2084 wrote:I wish Waze had a tool where I could find all MY URs

If you get into the habit of tagging your URs with your username or some other unique bit of text, you could at least use the keyword filter in LMUR to fairly quickly scan across the country and find all your open URs. It's not an ideal solution I grant you, and I too would love it if the UR data contained some way to reliably determine if the UR is one of yours or not - wouldn't need to be a user ID with all the potential privacy implications Waze are so concerned about, just a simple "submittedByMe" boolean flag would suffice - but until that happens it's about the best we've got.

Dave2084 wrote:I think this shows that points wise WME rewards editors more than Cartouche did, but that incentive is to make the maps better and having been here since the pre basemap days where we had a blank map it certainly needed it.

Coming back onto topic, I'm personally not that bothered about how many points I do or don't earn from editing, so I don't think I'd actually care one bit if the only way to earn points was by driving. What I DO care about as an editor is the number of edits I've got, because that's what's important when it comes to determining editor levels and thus how effective you can be as an editor. Not too happy about the recent increase in edits required for L5 status - I'm now further away from becoming a L5 than I was when I got my L4 promotion despite several months of editing since then :x

Dave2084 wrote:Going slightly off topic, it's sad that new users (in the base-mapped countries at least) will never experience the thrill of spending all day paving roads and then a few days later munching miles of cookies on the same roads, that's what got me hooked!

Quite. Even a year and a big ago when I started, SE England still had enough unmapped or mapped but yet to be driven roads to make finding one not too difficult, whereas these days the only paving action to be had is on new build estates (and having now driven around a few of those this past year, I'm bloody pleased I don't have to drive in and out of one every day - narrow twisty access roads, blind corners/junctions, barely enough space to get past cars parked in the few allocated spaces...) and even the cul-de-sacs that always used to be the last preserve of pacman action have mostly been nibbled away leaving barely anything to do.
L4 AM for NW London and Shetland Islands - HTC One M8/Android 5.0.1
Waze App 3.9.9.0, not about to switch to 4.x any time soon...
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork and Chrome Web Store
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Ranks and Points