Missing points

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Missing points

Postby alash2k » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Couple of days before I drove 700+ miles. I received the candy for driving more than 500 miles in a week. I expected to see 700 * 5 points per mile = 3500 points(approx) added to my points. But my total points is still less than 3500(I had 700+ points even before starting the 700+ mile journey).

Also even yesterday I drove almost 200 miles. I didnt see equivalent points added to my account.

Either I understood the point system incorrectly or not sure if I should wait for a week or something else. can someone help?

Edit : also I checked the map editor. expect for small gaps in the route, all my 700 mile trip is marked as editable. Also I am not sure why there would be small gaps in the route.
alash2k

Re: Missing points

Postby alash2k » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Can some one from waze check this?
alash2k

Postby alash2k » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:42 am

From the help site, I read the drive is uploaded only when the app is shutdown. I am not sure why would intermittent data connections would be a problem.

Also will support care to look at point correctness for the issue that I highlighted above? Starting to think why even worry if it's not going to be correct.
alash2k

Postby Haydenray » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:06 pm

When you are just starting out, it will be very frustrating at times! Have patience !
Please know that this topic is very high up on the list of FAQ's.
Take the time to dig into the "Read this First" at the top of this forum page. Your answer is there.
As precaution against "not getting all the points you deserve" while traveling over long distances;
Keep an eye on the gps signal strength of your device. If it drops to one bar, or "no signal" then Waze has no way to determine the distance you have driven, and no points will be given.
When the signal and the bars return, waze may have not reactivated the logging of your miles.
This is my opinion only, I found out the hard way, after receiving No points and No editable area, over the next 220 miles of very strong gps signal !! This area had never been edited or updated, and unfortunately I could not help! Waze support could not help resolve this.
From my lesson learned, now I perform a quick power off reboot of the the device and then re-open Waze navigation ap, After the signal strength returns.
This insures that Waze ap is getting a "fresh start" !
This has worked well for me and have never experienced any more "missing miles or points" since.

A second bit of advice is to check out the "signal strength of your phone carrier" before you travel, especially in "rural" areas.
Every carrier has a "signal coverage map" on their web site. This valuable information will help you to anticipate where the "signal data lapses" will be, if any.
Hope your issue gets resolved :)
Welcome to Waze !
Area Mgr:SW Idaho, Boise, Id; & Spokane, Washington USA
Waze 3.7.8 I-phone 5 (I.O.S. ver 7.0.6), (Chrome ver 34.0.1847.116) Windows 7, 64bit
Haydenray
Haydenray

Postby Haydenray » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:14 pm

Living in Virginia , one would not think cellular coverage would be much of an issue.
Evidently you have "wild-west" areas in your state as well !
Waze Support informed me that there is little they can do you help recover any "unrecorded data" from the "drives" the Wazer has taken. The best thing I can do to help prevent this from happening to others, is to inform them here in the forum.
I believe this subject deserves to be addressed in the Wiki.
Appreciate your response.
Area Mgr:SW Idaho, Boise, Id; & Spokane, Washington USA
Waze 3.7.8 I-phone 5 (I.O.S. ver 7.0.6), (Chrome ver 34.0.1847.116) Windows 7, 64bit
Haydenray
Haydenray

Postby kadtamir » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:44 pm

Check your waze dashbord you can see there when was the last time your score waze updated to the map. It's possible that yesterday there was no update and therefore you can't see you points.
But if you have already posted a topic about missing points I have a question - How much time before the dashbord update does the points count for that day?
Yesterday I drove very late and collected many cookies (waze coockie eater) and the dashbord updated about 1 or 2 hours after i got home but what I've done didn't count and i think it because it was to close to the update.
kadtamir

Postby ScottyVDF » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:12 pm

I drove over 500 miles on Sunday and only 180 of them posted. Also I drove over 200 yesterday and the map editor show that I drove them but the the map still show that whole are shaded in as if I have not been there yet. This includes drives that I did 8 hours or more prior to the last update ~15hrs ago.
ScottyVDF

Postby slandrum » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:14 am

alash2k wrote:Also I am not sure why there would be small gaps in the route.

If you are without network connection for a period of time, then your drive data will not be uploaded for that period. Waze doesn't cache very much of your drive data. If you have short gaps in network connection, you may have all of your drive shown as a single drive, but larger gaps will break up the drive into pieces and you will be missing some mileage. This is very common on long distance drives.

Loss of GPS lock will also cause gaps in your drives.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Postby slandrum » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:33 pm

alash2k wrote:From the help site, I read the drive is uploaded only when the app is shutdown. I am not sure why would intermittent data connections would be a problem.

Also will support care to look at point correctness for the issue that I highlighted above? Starting to think why even worry if it's not going to be correct.

I have many drives uploaded when the app did not shut down properly, when it crashed, or when I was out of cell range when the app shut down. Your drives update automatically when you are driving if you have network connection. You do not need to shut down the app to get the drive information to the servers, but you do need to have a network connection to get the drive data to the servers.

The app would not be useful for real time traffic data if the information were only uploaded when you shut down the app. It needs to be sending the data all the time so that it knows what's going on out there.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Return to Ranks and Points