N12 W route incorrectly allows turn

Post by JPD66SA
Morning all

As a newbie, I am not going to attempt to edit the map, so am posting this for the attention of those more expert than me.

Waze is incorrectly providing routes that assume it is possible to turn off the N12 W highway in Johannesburg at a point other than an off-ramp. The specific example I found involved a route to the Builders Warehouse in Lois Avenue, Gleneagles. The suggested route went via the Comaro Road on-ramp onto the N12 West, then said "arriving at destination" as the Builders Warehouse was passed on the left - where, of course, it is impossible to turn left off the highway.

I'm not sure how much of the N12 this effects, but it certainly applied between Comaro Road and Kliprivier Drive offramps.

Regards
JPD66SA

POSTER_ID:17360456

Send a message

Post by elphix
JPD66SA wrote:Am I missing something, or should the N12 not also be flagged as a road that does not have turn-offs or stopping points, to avoid this sort of thing entirely?
Unfortunately, that isn't how Waze works. From my understanding, you'll be routed on the closest road to the destination then instructed to turn off. This is valid for certain instances, a road side stall for example.

In any case the routing problem you described seems to have been solved in both directions.
elphix
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by JPD66SA
Hello Leigh

Certainly - see https://www.waze.com/livemap?zoom=14&la ... on=28.0783

The permalink does not show the routes, unfortunately. If, however, you search and enter "Mall of the South" for the origin and "Builders Warehouse Lois Avenue" as the destination, you will see that all 3 proposed routes take you onto the N12 West, which runs past the destination. There is no access from the national highway (N12) to the destination, nor should that road permit any turnings other than at the offramps.

Regards
James
JPD66SA
Send a message

Post by JPD66SA
Thanks everyone

Am I missing something, or should the N12 not also be flagged as a road that does not have turn-offs or stopping points, to avoid this sort of thing entirely?

I had checked the same routing with Google Maps, BTW, and it gave the the correct route.

Regards
JPD66SA
Send a message

Post by LeighGr
Hello JPD66SA

Can you please give us a permanlink to the area. At times you may have overseas senior editors responding to your queries, and they aren't going to hunt around to find the area in question.

Leigh
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling
Redmi 8, Android 10.0.0, Waze: Whatever the latest beta is!
LC: South Africa
CM: Southern Africa

Post by LeighGr
Hi James

While the Waze stop point for Builders Warehouse is closer to Skukusa Ave, and drivers should be routed that way, the Google Maps Builder Warehouse POI on the other side of the building, and then the N12 W is the closet road to that POI, hence the weird routing.

I'll request that Google Maps move that POI closer to Skukusa Ave, but this isn't the first time I've seen the Google POI's take precedence of the Waze POIs, and it's creating this weird routing all over the show.

Leigh.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling

Post by LeighGr
Google Maps have moved the marker for Builder Warehouse, but it usually takes 24 hours to take effect, so see if things are better tomorrow afternoon.

Leigh.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling

Post by LeighGr
You may seen that elphix has added Parking lot road (PLR) inside the Builders Warehouse parking lot. While I don't think this in itself will solve the inbound routing issue, what it will do is give the driver a correct route out the parking lot, especially if they are parked on the far side of the lot, closet to the N12, as without that PLR, Waze will place them on the N12, and they'll get very weird routing instructions.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling