City Naming Discussion

This is the place to discuss mapping convention, street/ roads naming methods, when to approve places etc.
Please have a look at Waze's Wiki page - http://goo.gl/35q9OT

Moderators: MapSir, Unholy, Arnoniem, shmupi

Re: City Naming Discussion

Postby HandofMadness » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Right now, it looks like the guidance will be:

"City Name, Province"
With the province fully spelled out, until such time as Waze adds state support in WME.
This only applies to duplicate cities where the name is already in use.

We have decided against using abbreviations for a few reasons:
- We can't find an official government sanctioned list (in the roman alphabet). Rizalrz, the link you provided is great. However those abbreviations were made up by the owner of the website and he sells their use to schools/businesses.
- Even if there is an official government list somewhere, it is clear most people (Thai or visitor) wouldn't be able to easily figure out what they mean, and would lead to greater confusion.

Other thoughts/comments/arguments are welcome.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
[ img ]
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:54 am

If no objections, I will update the Wiki to:

<City>, <Province>
[ img ]
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby prosql » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Sorry for chiming in late on this one - I've been having issues over the last month or more with the forum not sorting on time properly (even sorted by time, the most recent are often several items down the list), and I did not see this one before it popped up in a notification earlier this morning.

This one has actually been high on my list of things to bring up. The duplicate issue is something I noticed during the MMR. I'm a fairly strong proponent of turning states on with it having the Province. If at all possible, we should work towards the WME having a country localization that calls the Province a provide and the city something that will also speak to locals (not as easy since you're proposing, and I agree with, the notion of mixing whether it's a Tambon or Ban).
prosql
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby benandjerry » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:07 pm

I'm a fairly strong proponent of turning states on with it having the Province.

Can you explain your reasoning on this?
benandjerry
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby prosql » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Province is what is called a "domain list" - it's set and known. Users don't get to freelance what should be in it. By having it in that form, you avoid typoes or mixes of abbreviation versus long form when people are trying to reference it. Waze also will treat it as something of a scope - a namespace if you will - regarding the names of cities.

The risk, of course, is that Province is too high up the administrative chain, and that we might still have duplicates, but that is no less of a problem with the more freeform "Tanbon/Ban, Province" notion.

Basically, Province puts more structure on it, which strikes me as *much* better in a country where virtually all new editors are going to be just that - new to editing.
prosql
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:19 pm

Yes, the ideal solution would be to have Waze turn on states for the country. But at the moment that doesn't seem like something that will happen any time soon, so we need to have some official policy to help editors now.
[ img ]
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby prosql » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:00 pm

I have no frame of reference for what it takes to get Waze to make a change like this - can you elaborate on that?
prosql
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:19 pm

I don't know the inner workings. But this is something that's been requested, but I've been told not to get our hopes up for a quick implementation.

On a related note, Australia has been waiting on states to be enabled for several years, despite having a quite active user population and only 8 states in the country.
[ img ]
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Previous

Return to Guidelines