Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Suburb Naming Standards

Post by LeighGr
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I feel I've missed something.

I've been under the impression that the naming standard, was Street, (Suburb, City), Country, as per the wiki

Country is obvious. Since suburbs can cover a large areas, these are broken down into smaller areas, the correct term for it I can't recall now. For instance, I stay in Proteaville, which is an area within the Durbanville suburb, so in Waze the City field for my road is Proteaville, Cape Town.

For someone who knows I stay in Durbanville, searching for my street address in Waze won't return any Durbanville results, which is a concern I have with the current convention used in Cape Town, and that I've been using elsewhere when mapping new areas.

I know the megacity add an extra level of complexicity, but looking in Kempton Park this evening, I see a street labeled Aandblom Rd, Kempton Park, Ekurhuleni, Edleen, South Africa. :o

Now is is very different to my understanding of the naming standard, as here there are three entries in the City field, and in the reverse order. While I don't disagree with there being three fields, with the suburb being the additional field, why the reversal of the order?

Unfortunately my name is against most of these roads as the last editor, as I went around correcting all the suffixes last month. :oops:

Can anyone shed some light on the history of this standard, which in the Area, Suburb, City order makes perfect sense to me? But not the reverse.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

POSTER_ID:7725087

Send a message
Leigh Greyling
Redmi 8, Android 10.0.0, Waze: Whatever the latest beta is!
LC: South Africa
CM: Southern Africa

Post by Kuhlkatz
The agreed current standard is Suburb, City or even Suburb, Town that an area is commonly named or commonly known as. That is also what the Wiki states.

Unless everybody discusses this again and a new one is adopted, nothing else should fly. It's just City or Town where it applies, or Suburb, City / Suburb, Town where that applies.

The idea was that if Waze ever supported suburbs, a mass rename could be done with ease. If each editor follows his own standards, a mass rename would be virtually impossible.

Waze added state (province) support for the NA & Canada server, likely to alleviate duplicate city names,. Unfortunately it's not going to be a huge help for us or other smaller countries where duplicates is less of a problem. We have a couple, but that is not a major problem.
SA, and likely many other countries would have benefited more from support for suburb naming first.

US names a complete city top to bottom with just the city name. For us, an address or even a traffic report for Waterkloof, Pretoria or Morningside, Sandton or Norkem Park, Kempton Park narrows down an area or location far better than just Cape Town, Pretoria or Johannesburg for that matter.

Also, if I tell people that I live in the Ekurhuleni metropolitan area, 80% + would likely not know where that is. East Rand might still ring a bell. Tshwane most should know, but only due to the controversy around that. The city is still named Pretoria though, and Centurion is also part of the municipal area.

So, Ekurhuleni is the name of the greater municipal area, and not the name of the 'town' and should not come into play at all.
It comprises amongst other, Alberton, Benoni, Boksburg, Brakpan, Daveyton, Duduza, Edenvale, Etwatwa, Germiston, Katlehong, Kempton Park, Kwa Thema, Nigel, Springs, Tembisa, Thokoza, Tsakane and Vosloorus.
Each of these are towns in their own right with multiple suburbs and that is what should be in the City name.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by LeighGr
Having a look outside the area where I could lay my grubby paws, I see this naming convention, and some variations thereof, has been around for well over a year, such as this street, though the order is different, being Suburb, City, Area.

WMECH is indicating there are streets with a city label of Area, Suburb, City, (Pomona, Kempton Park, Ekurhuleni), making things even more puzzling this late at night.

Let me sleep over this.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling
Redmi 8, Android 10.0.0, Waze: Whatever the latest beta is!
LC: South Africa
CM: Southern Africa