Naming standard for same named cities in different provinces

Post by LeighGr
What are the South African naming standards where two cities, with the same name, exist in more than one province? I don't see anything in the South African standards wiki page.

Case in point, Middelburg. There is a Middelburg in the Eastern Cape, which is currently labelled 'Middelburg, EC', and a Middelburg in Mpumalanga, labelled as just "Middelburg", though I have started renaming the city centre to 'Middelburg, MP'

My problem is that even with the editor centered Middelburg, Mpumalanga, and I search for Middelburg, I'm taken directly, with no search results offered, to Middelburg, Netherlands! Why?

Even weirder, from Middelburg, Netherlands, if I then search for 'Middelburg, EC', I'm offered 7 results, the top two both being different locations in Middelburg, EC and the third being 'Middelburg, Netherlands'. Why don't I see any 'Middelburg, South Africa' options. Come to think of it, I've never seen any 'City, South Africa' search result.

If I search for 'Middelburg, MP', one of the results is 'Middelburg - MP', which takes me to the Mpumalanga Middelburg, though I haven't seen any segment with a city name of 'Middelburg - MP', so I suspect that is an old city name, when a dash was used.

If there are no standards. I'd suggest using the city name, followed by a comma and space, and then the two letter province abbreviation, as is the case for Middelburg, EC.

Your comments are welcome. What are other countries using?

Leigh.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

POSTER_ID:7725087

Send a message
Leigh Greyling
Redmi 8, Android 10.0.0, Waze: Whatever the latest beta is!
LC: South Africa
CM: Southern Africa

Post by elphix
LeighGr wrote:Come to think of it, I've never seen any 'City, South Africa' search result.
I don't think I have either. You;d think there would be some kind of "dominant" city based on say area or something but I don't see it.

From what I can tell other map providers label the MP Middelburg with the suffix and the EC one without. I don't see why though.

I'm happy with the formatting you've suggested but this may have to be a case by case thing.

Kyle
elphix
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message