Proposal - Remove all mini-circles

Post by lorrettab
Hi all,
Not sure if this has ever been raised but I propose we remove all mini circles. If they are not significantly bigger than a normal intersection or will damage your vehicle if you drive over them then they should not be on the map.
  • They add limit benefit to people's routing experience
  • When you drive down a long road with mini circles instead of telling you turn left in 2km you get multiple: in 100m take the 2nd exit.
  • they make routing more complex by adding multiple irrelevant segments to test.
Waze is about fast efficient routing. If you want pretty maps that map the real world exactly then use Google Maps.
lorrettab

POSTER_ID:16245114

Send a message

Post by adrianvrsa
Hi

I don't agree with removing all mini roundabouts, but I do think that there is some value in this discussion. I have also been frustrated by the multiple instructions at roundabouts and I realise now that these are most likely due to the editors creating them not understanding how Waze determines the voice instructions at a round about. If these where to be corrected then routing will be a lot simpler and the voice instructions will make more sense.

However, I did find this interesting in the wiki, that in some cases that it might be better to not create a roundabout. This seems to be unique to South Africa.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/South_Africa ... 9_segments

Info on Roundabout angles: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Creating_and ... bout_Angle

Regards
Adrian
adrianvrsa
Send a message
Regards
Adrian
L5 Editor - South Africa

Post by elphix
I agree with this... though how would you discern a mini-circle with an actual circle?
elphix
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by lorrettab
And mini circles are generally added as "traffic calming" rather than better traffic flow.
lorrettab
Send a message

Post by Neuk
elphix wrote:I agree with this... though how would you discern a mini-circle with an actual circle?
In general, mini circles are small, single lane circles while traffic circles are larger, multi lane circles as I understand it.
Neuk
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message