Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by mithrandi
Kuhlkatz wrote:
mithrandi wrote:aha, found it in my IRC logs. Unfortunately the image quality is poor, but you can see the pentagon R29 N shield as well as the rectangular signs for M1 N and M27 N.
I was looking for some of these on the non-freeway major & minor routes using the green coloring scheme and couldn't find any. It seems they disappeared overnight, or it's just because I was looking for them.
You posted a link to a green one for the R24. I think I'm confused about what you mean? :) Did you mean a blue pentagon for a non-freeway section of an N route?
mithrandi
Send a message
Tristan Seligmann
AM: Johannesburg, South Africa
Community expert: South Africa (client / Android / editing / routing)
Android 4.1 / HTC One X

Post by ValerionWolf
I've got a bit of a question, after reading the wiki. The following is currently there:
Major Highway
These roads generally have multiple lanes and have very little or no stop signs or traffic lights regulating its flow through intersections. Access to major highways are not via special ramps, but via normal intersections with other road types. They are generally alternate routes leading from one major city to another, and may go through the center of smaller towns. They are generally the regional roads (R roads) (R21, R23, R24, R29).
Minor Highway
These are similar to major highways, except that they have traffic lights or stop signs that regulate the flow of traffic on both the Minor Highway itself and on the intersecting roads. They will generally be R roads which are single lane and where 3- or 4-way stops are often found at intersections.
There also seems to be a split between the Rxx and Rxxx routes, in the wording. However, my question is about the following scenario:

Consider the R57 and the R714. Both are a single lane in each direction, both have a wide shoulder, and a 120km/h speed limit. The only stops on the R714 between the N3 near Warden and where it meets the R26 near Bethlehem are the one-way stop street on the T-junction with the R26 and the 4-way stop where it crosses the R57.

Now, the R714 meets the definition of a Minor Highway perfectly, as does the R57. They also both seem to meet the Major Highway definition, with the exception of multiple lanes. The road surface in both cases are almost identical (barring potholes due to lack of maintenance). Therefore the only criteria that differentiates them is the route number (Rxx vs Rxxx). I was wondering, if instead of focusing on the Rxx vs Rxxx naming to determine the type, we should rather focus on the road condition as well.

I am not too sure what criteria the government used to number the roads initially, but to me the above differences feel a little arbitrary. It's probably been hashed out between the older Waze users before, but I can't find much on the forum to explain the difference between the two types, so if someone would be kind enough to explain the reasoning here, I'd much appreciate it.
ValerionWolf
Send a message

Post by ValerionWolf
Thanks, that makes sense.

I agree that we should make all R roads minor highways, unless they actually deserve to be upgraded to major highways, or get another designation (perhaps primary street in a city).
ValerionWolf
Send a message