Naming Standards

Post by
Can we document some naming standards for South African users?

Street names
Street suffixes
City name (Suburb names?)

That sort of thing. So far I'm working off the UK standard in the Wiki, but perhaps we should create our own for South Africa?

POSTER_ID:267061

Send a message

Post by andre-m
Hi there,

I see there is now a wiki page for South Africa editing standards:

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/South_Africa

But this conflicts with some information presented here. For example, the wiki page says " Always write out the suffix in full, i.e. Road instead of rd, Highway instead of Hwy, Avenue instead of Ave. " But this thread says to use abbreviations.

Similarly for primary road numbers. Wiki page says to use the number in brackets "Road Name (M31)", but the standard on this thread says to use "Road Name - M31"

I did not know about this thread, and have been following the standards set out in the Wiki page.

Is there a consensus about which method to apply? I can go back and rename all my roads again.
andre-m
Send a message

Post by blyzz
I believe zarf is busy working on a standard ZA naming convention, and I'm sure he'll post something here shortly on that topic.

In the mean time...

What we're doing in Cape Town is using the "City" field to enter the suburb name as well, so basically something like this:

City: Newlands, Cape Town

We are not naming the little 'suburblets' (or sub-suburbs) like "Barbarossa" in Constantia and "Hiddingh" in Newlands Because that is just way too much detail.

And naturally, not using the Suffix, because that will make "Road Main" out of "Main" for main road. Instead just use the "Rd" (for road) in the Street name. Other types:

• Way
• Ave (avenue)
• Cr (crescent)
• Cl (close)
• St (street)
• Ln (lane)
• Wk (walk)
• Dr (drive)
• Blvd (Boulevard)

- All I can think of right now
blyzz
Send a message
Area Manager - Cape Town, ZA

Post by blyzz
• Pl (place)
blyzz
Send a message
Area Manager - Cape Town, ZA

Post by Chriseleven
Just to get back to the suburb issue (a few random thoughts).

I don't think the priority is going back to streets that are already there - there are too many blank areas that need filling

It is difficult to know where suburb boundaries are. In fact I do not know how you determine the suburb boundaries without very good local knowledge or stealing some copyright info. I have lived in PE for 30 years and there are still some surprises when I see some suburb names boards or in postal addresses that include the suburb
Chriseleven
Send a message

Post by Chriseleven
mithrandi wrote: I would vote for "Joe Slovo Dr (M31)" over "Joe Slovo Dr - M31"; or in the case where you want to write the route number first, I think "R24 (Albertina Sisulu Fwy)" works better than "R24 - Albertina Sisulu Fwy" or "(R24) Albertina Sisulu Fwy". These are all just workarounds for Waze not presenting alternate road names in a usable fashion, unfortunately.
I don't like the route number first - no-one knows the route number in PE. We go by street names
Chriseleven
Send a message

Post by Discus
Wish I'd stumbled upon this previously - was wondering why South Africa wasn't present on the Wiki with naming standards. :)

I'll go about renaming all the roads in Grahamstown with abbreviations for Street etc, and also the road name - Rnnn instead of having the Rnnn as an alias soon, as soon as the thing stops giving me blasted error messages.

I'm in a more rural part of South Africa than perhaps zarf & Blyzz, and it doesn't really make sense to me to make, for example, the N2 a "Freeway" between Grahamstown and Port Elizabeth. Yes, there are certainly sections of the N2 that are what are internationally classed as "Freeways" near and in PE, but in between here and there, even calling it a "Major Highway" is a stretch in international terms! I note your concern about such roads disappearing when you zoom out, but "Major Highway" seems to stay prominent on the Live Map display even when you zoom out pretty far - sure if you can see the whole country on your phone, they disappear, but you'd probably zoom in a bit anyway? On my E71, I can get PE and Grahamstown in one screen and the N2 shows up as a line when designated Major Highway. To me, a Freeway categorically must have ramps as the only way of getting on and off them - if there's a road that just meets them, or a traffic light or even a stop street, they're not Freeways!

Whilst there is certainly an argument to be made for adapting the Waze road types to a country, when we're looking at hosting something like the World Cup with many international visitors (and the big tourism sector in any case), calling a piddly little road a Freeway will probably lead to confusion (You can almost picture it: "I'm on the wrong @#$&*^# road, this thing is too small for a Freeway! Where the heck *is* the Freeway?" etc.). I'd certainly advocate we keep the major N roads as Major Highways even if they go through towns and have traffic lights, or are just a single lane with no hard shoulder in each direction, promoting them to freeways when they meet the definition?

I like the idea of preferring the "real" name of roads over their numbers in South Africa - we generally don't refer to or even often signpost very well the M etc numbers of roads. You know you have to go down a particular street to get somewhere, and if you ask for directions, you'll get street names more often than not. The M etc is quite handy for comparing it to a map book or working out what the big roads might be that get you around quickly.

The other interesting thing in South Africa is road (and town/city) name changes. I like what Durban has done, having the old names below the new ones on signs - you still get a lot of people referencing the old road name in JNB with no sign of that road existing any more if you read the signs and painted road names these days. Perhaps the Alias field would be good for these cases? Having "New Name Rd (Old Name Rd) - M47" would be quite unwieldy. We should definitely think about ways of handling these issues, I think.

I'd also like clarification on another issue. Grahamstown has a lot of very, very wide streets with a central area that isn't road; I've taken to splitting these into 2 one way streets, but am not sure about the best way of getting them to intersect with other narrower two way single roads and with each other. The most "important" roads in Grahamstown are probably High Street, Bathurst Street and Somerset Street, and all of these are (at least in considerable sections) like this. Some of them are even wide enough to have multiple lanes in each direction in places. I'm still tweaking it to get it looking right and actually following where the roads go irl, but you can see what I'm playing with quite easily. Any thoughts? I've taken to un-naming short "link" roads where you can cross through "islands" in them.

Here's a good example: http://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=9 ... FFFFFFTTTT
Of course, the whole area in the box wedged in between the intersection of the 4 lines is actually road - you can drive on it, and you'll get GPS tracks though there over time.
Discus
Send a message
Grahamstown Area Manager

Post by Discus
Thanks pevans_om!

I've used "ramps" as on/off ramps on the N2 - you can see examples along the N2 where they're working on that flyover near Coega (Hougham Park road, if memory serves - I was wondering WTF they were doing having such a minor road randomly crossing the N2 there!), and just outside Grahamstown, where the N2 intersects the R67. I'm pretty sure that's what they're intended for.

Yes, the OSM road types seems better from your description. I'm also somewhat wary of Waze's "Dirt/4x4" classification - there are lots of really good dirt roads in South Africa - and there are 4x4 trails (and/or really bad dirt roads) you'd get stuck on in a "normal car" too - I really feel those two should be split up. I've once come across a road that suggested 4x4 only (there was a road sign) - other than some fairly impressive dongas in a few places (which you could have gotten through in a Citi, if you knew what you were doing), it was "just a dirt road" to me. But take a low-slung car along there, and you'd have gotten stuck...

Perhaps we could open a ticket on UserVoice suggesting some changes to road classifications? (my votes are all currently used up on other things already :( )

The POI types could use some work too - there aren't enough, and there are some really obscure ones when things that make much more sense are absent - what the heck is a "Crew of Vessel Location" when it's missing Supermarket, Pharmacy (insert common shop type)...? They've also spelt "Place of Buisness" wrong.

I think we should definitely decide on what to do with the national highways outside of towns and places they're not (internationally obviously) freeways before we wiki-ise the suggested road "taxonomy" - does it make sense to call/designate for example the N2 as it winds its way through the former Transkei a "freeway", what will all the cattle and pedestrians in the road, and the times it simply becomes a major road through a small town?

Perhaps the "easiest" change would be to have the roads designates as "major highways" stick out about as much on the maps as freeways do? This would obviously be something the Waze admins would have to change - we can't do much about that!

I'll have to have a look at what it does with navigation turned on - GHT is so small I don't really use the navigation feature! (And there's nowhere really convenient to be able to "see" my Nokia in my car whilst I drive along).

It's great that this system can be more up-to-date that even Google Maps, who did the whole street view thing through here just a few months ago - and there have been road changes since then that don't reflect. OK, so I don't have as many roads mapped in GHT as they do, but they're more "right" :)

Thanks!
Discus
Send a message
Grahamstown Area Manager

Post by mithrandi
Hmm, I think the wiki needs some editing.

Regarding "suffix in full", this conflicts with the general Waze editing standards, so I don't think we should go down that road (tee hee); on the other hand, there's no real need to go back and edit all of your roads just for that.

I would vote for "Joe Slovo Dr (M31)" over "Joe Slovo Dr - M31"; or in the case where you want to write the route number first, I think "R24 (Albertina Sisulu Fwy)" works better than "R24 - Albertina Sisulu Fwy" or "(R24) Albertina Sisulu Fwy". These are all just workarounds for Waze not presenting alternate road names in a usable fashion, unfortunately.
mithrandi
Send a message
Tristan Seligmann
AM: Johannesburg, South Africa
Community expert: South Africa (client / Android / editing / routing)
Android 4.1 / HTC One X

Post by mithrandi
I don't like the route number first - no-one knows the route number in PE. We go by street names
I would only propose route number first in the cases where the street name is relatively unknown; this usually only happens when dealing with highways where all of the overhead signage uses the route number (eg. R24 or N1 in Johannesburg) and there are just a few markers along the highway that mention the actual street name. In fact, in these cases, maybe we should just use the route number and forget about the street name, since it's probably not helping anyone find the actual road.
mithrandi
Send a message
Tristan Seligmann
AM: Johannesburg, South Africa
Community expert: South Africa (client / Android / editing / routing)
Android 4.1 / HTC One X

Post by MoHaG
zarf wrote:Demotion: Roads don't get demoted below the status they inherit from their prefix or naming structure at any point in their length. So, just as the N2 remains a national road (and hence a freeway in Waze classification) where it runs through that intolerable stretch of traffic lights in the Somerset West/Strand area, so the R27 is always a major highway even in the sections where it's interrupted by lots of traffic lights.
This seem to make sense in urban areas, but large parts of N roads in North West and even the Northern Cape are quite small and often full of potholes.

http://goo.gl/maps/FHTh is an example of a smaller N road.

At parts the N14 between Krugersdorp and Ventersdorp is even closed http://goo.gl/maps/2oA8 due to sinkholes and the detour have a dirt section. (here's the turn off: http://goo.gl/maps/LB4z, the road itself is not on streetview, the satellite view is here: http://goo.gl/maps/H5Jm )
MoHaG
Send a message
Former Area Manager for Centurion / Southern Pretoria