National Parks

Post by Chriseleven
What is the feeling about National Parks.

I see some of the smaller ones have been marked using a landmark. Do we want to do this for larger ones.

I recently spent a few days in the Mountain Zebra National Park and did all the roads. I have used the city designator on the roads which has then created the "City". I did the same for Addo Elephant.

Which should we be using and will that apply for a large park like KNP
Chriseleven

POSTER_ID:6301053

Send a message

Post by elphix
Kuhlkatz wrote:I have no problem if a landmark or multiple side-by-side landmarks of manageble size are generated, like the coastal layers in some places. Creating just one would likely be a nightmare to tweak if needed. The campsites can also likely be landmarked using our Suburb, City method, which would also clearly differentiate their locations. The surfaced roads are mainly point-to-point and the road layout is fairly straightforward there, so I'm not sure if a proper 'Major City' and Campsites using 'Suburb, City' would be properly established using the one or two main roads inside the Campsites. It's likely better to keep it simple.
I'm with Carel on this one, pretty much only a CM would be able to map our larger parks. Not ideal in my eyes. In fact if I look at Kruger anyone is going to need some serious editing rights to avoid having areas that are exluded as part of the landmark.
elphix
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by elphix
Kuhlkatz wrote:This is likely the better idea for roads in the parks, as that should create a natural "city layer" for it. When traffic reports are generated, it should also clearly define and differeniate it from any other reports.
I just had a go at this and was met with a "The highlighted road is too far from the city it was added to" Error. My thoughts are a section of the park is labelled as a city and would need to be expanded from there out. Ideas?
elphix
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
Chris,

This is likely the better idea for roads in the parks, as that should create a natural "city layer" for it. When traffic reports are generated, it should also clearly define and differeniate it from any other reports.

I have no problem if a landmark or multiple side-by-side landmarks of manageble size are generated, like the coastal layers in some places. Creating just one would likely be a nightmare to tweak if needed. The campsites can also likely be landmarked using our Suburb, City method, which would also clearly differentiate their locations. The surfaced roads are mainly point-to-point and the road layout is fairly straightforward there, so I'm not sure if a proper 'Major City' and Campsites using 'Suburb, City' would be properly established using the one or two main roads inside the Campsites. It's likely better to keep it simple.

Landmarks based on the official sections might be easier to create and 'maintain' than the larger Regions, or the full Park.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by txemt
I did the same for Big Bend National Park. I'm still working on some of the roads, but there's been a city layer created because I put the name in the city column. I've also marked it using the landmark layer. If
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.