Cardinal directions / TTS

Post by
Hi all,

Just a heads-up, Waze have applied a fix to the TTS engine to solve the "N1" -> "North One" issue. "N1" is now correctly pronounced as "Enn One". However, as a result of this change, "N1 (N)" is now pronounced as "Enn One Enn"; in order to achieve the correct pronunciation, we need to use the style the other countries use: "N1 N". I'm not really sure if there's anything to discuss here, but I guess this needs to be included in the new wiki page or whatever the result of the currently-ongoing standards discussion is.

POSTER_ID:362912

Send a message

Post by Chriseleven
SO must we be renaming the roads - Most have the direction spelled out in full
Chriseleven
Send a message

Post by elphix
mithrandi wrote:I've pushed quite strongly for the latter to be standardized
Is there any update on this? My opinion is that "N1 North" is more visually appealing than the alternatives.
elphix
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Ours in the UK was specifically agreed upon to not violate any other possible combinations for TTS, hence the brackets.
No idea who requested the change that messed it up. I do agree SA is a lot closer to UK (proper) English than US ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
But it has a bracket next to it. Perhaps Waze don't know about the TTS system or it can't accept certain rules?

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Indeed. Perhaps if Waze allowed some kind of testing platform on their Vocalizer or access to some kind of rules file, we'd all be able to sit down and work it out.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
I'll flush the TTS folder and test tomorrow.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Didn't know there was a difference except dual/motorway vs other roads.
Cheers for the code Tim :-)

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
I think they might revert it again, as requested in the Your Help,UK Text to Speech (TTS) thread.

I still had the old cached announcements, and tested it after Timbones commented the the "(N)" broken for UK by clearing cache. So, as I suspected, it broke other functionality. As discussed in the general Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients thread in map editing, the 'N' naming convention using single quotes seems to correctly pronounce it as 'Enn', but I hardly think renaming 7000km+ of mostly dualed roads is a good solution.
Glad you confirmed this, as I have no (N) named roads near me, and would only be able to test with the segments near Woodmead and surrounds.

Do we have any localization experts that can confirm if SA English is closest to UK English or US English ? I have always thought that UK English is most appropriate.
Waze defaults to English, but I always set mine to UK English, so I'm not sure this will be visbile to everyone or affect everyone.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by Kuhlkatz
Agreed on the TTS, but the General Language should actually match that, as it likely affects searches etc. I'm not sure how Waze uses the primary language settings. Android does support SA English.

There is currently a mix of naming conventions, using 'N1 (N)', 'N1 North' and 'N1 N'. The space occupied by N vs North on the N roads should not affect client visiblity, so it might be an option to name them using the full cardinal direction. At least this way 'tweaks' in future should not break that part, but still, it's a fair stretch to rename.
I'd prefer that they fix this in code without breaking anything else for us or the rest of the UK.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius

Post by Kuhlkatz
Compare that to something like 'Albertina Sisulu Freeway (Direction)' and I'd say it's not that long.

Still, I agree to wait and see what happens wrt to the fix. We are advocating to use the shorter naming conventions overall.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius