City names withing metropolitan municipalities

Post by MoHaG
Hi,

How should the City names be determined within metropolitan municipalities? (Durban (eThekwini), Tshwane (Pretoria, Centurion, etc), Cape Town, Johannesburg (Johannesburg, Midrand, Sandton), PE, Ekurhuleni (Germiston, Boksburg, Springs, etc))

Possible formats:
Suburb, Former municipality
  • Seem to be most common currently (in Gauteng at least)
  • How people mostly speak
  • Hard to find borders on new maps
  • Wikipedia seem to have some of it documented... (Johannesburg at least...)
  • Naming new developments with this scheme can be problematic
Suburb, Metro municipality
  • Easy to map
  • Can be confusing (There will be no Centurion, Midrand)
  • Naming wars (e.g. Waterkloof, (City of)Tshwane)
Suburb, Former municipality, Metro municipality
  • Long
  • Former municipal borders are hard to find on modern maps
  • Possible naming wars...
There might be some way to work the region in the Metro in as well, although "Region 5" won't help anyone...
MoHaG

POSTER_ID:728050

Send a message
Former Area Manager for Centurion / Southern Pretoria

Post by mithrandi
Ultimately I think this doesn't matter too much until Waze provide more extensive fields for suburb/city/etc. The current situation of stuffing everything into the city field is just inherently fuzzy.
mithrandi
Send a message
Tristan Seligmann
AM: Johannesburg, South Africa
Community expert: South Africa (client / Android / editing / routing)
Android 4.1 / HTC One X

Post by MoHaG
It might be somewhat problematic in "City of Tshwane"? (I don't really care what they call the place, but I'm quite sure that it will be constantly changed by other users not reading this) (The regions might need to be kept into account to try and prevent naming clashes as well)

In many cases the signage refers to the former municipality as well (Centurion, Pretoria, Sandton, Midrand, Roodepoort, Boksburg, Germiston, Springs) (And people searching for Oak Ave, Centurion won't find it if it is labeled "Oak Ave, Highveld, Tshwane")

In the City of Tshwane area, no current maps seem to indicate which suburbs are classified into which town and wards for election purposes might cross those borders (Monument Park, which falls in Pretoria, is in the same ward as Lyttelton Manor, which is in Centurion)

This might be where the UK's naming standard's Postal vs. Actual addresses might help, especially if the Post Office has a lookup/map... http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... _Addresses

I currently label streets with Suburb, Former municipality and Freeways and highways with former municipality. (Suburbs often change between off-ramps and additional junctions just make life difficult...)
MoHaG
Send a message
Former Area Manager for Centurion / Southern Pretoria

Post by spxza
I'd suggest a mixed format:

Streets and minor roads named Suburb, Metro Municipality.

Major roads named Suburb, Former Municipality [, Metro Municipality].

This affords finer granularity for streets - which are of course a lot shorter than major roads. IMHO, it's the logical thing to do.

For example, we talk about Malibongwe in Randburg and Central Road in Linden. When referring to a major road, we are less precise, and more precise when referring to a street.
spxza
Send a message