Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This forum is a place to discuss new ideas and also new wiki updates will be placed here.
Post by petervdveen
Alles wat je zegt klopt. ;-)

De definitie die Waze hangt aan 'driveable' zegt niets over de routing server, maar over de fysieke staat van de weg.

Er zijn trouwens de laatste tijd nogal wat dingen veranderd als het gaat om de routing server en daardoor gedragen wegtypes zich anders als ten tijde van het moment dat de regels bedacht zijn. Momenteel lopen we achter op de praktijk. We zijn vollop aan het testen en willen daarop nieuwe regels gaan baseren.

Wel is het zo dat dit in overleg met Waze zal moeten. Ten eerste zijn we nog niet tevreden over alle eigenschappen van de routing / wegtypes en ten tweede moet het ook niet zo zijn dat over een week weer alles veranderd.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux

Post by stelling28
Moweez and myself have rewritten the page about Pedestrian Boardwalks, based on the discussion in Oosterhout and in the forum.

Please give us your comments.
stelling28
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Nokia 6.1 | Android 8.1 | Android Auto | Wazer since November 2013 | RM: Noord-Holland, The Netherlands | AM: Texel, Mijdrecht, Vinkeveen, Wilnis en Waverveen
https://s.waze.tools/beta.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/s0100.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c4s.png
E-mail: simon@waze-editors.nl

Post by steveningelbrecht
WimVandierendonck wrote:The multitude of PBs on the map is exactly the reason, more and more get drawn. It seems that there is nothing wrong with drawing these, everyone does.
It is also the reason I did not read the wiki about PB.
Editors are drawing the PB's more and more, because it's almost the only obvious thing left to be drawn...
WimVandierendonck wrote:I think that the first thing that has to be done is a better promotion if these guidelines. By doing this, at least regulatory PBs wil be correct. I have made PBs based on a MP, but did not request to lock it. So no one can be sure if a PB is regulatory or not, when they want to delete it.

Maybe new editors could get a (short) list of talks to do and not to do. So that they won't be tempted to do the thing that is easiest, like drawing PBs.
So the welcoming text every new editor gets, with a link to the editing starting guide is not enough? What would you suggest to do more or change?
I am thinking on maybe give some extra hints via social media, but then again, only a small group of wazers is editing the map and thus only some followers on social media would be interested...
steveningelbrecht
Send a message

Post by wimvandierendonck
The multitude of PBs on the map is exactly the reason, more and more get drawn. It seems that there is nothing wrong with drawing these, everyone does.
It is also the reason I did not read the wiki about PB.
I think that the first thing that has to be done is a better promotion if these guidelines. By doing this, at least regulatory PBs wil be correct. I have made PBs based on a MP, but did not request to lock it. So no one can be sure if a PB is regulatory or not, when they want to delete it.

Maybe new editors could get a (short) list of talks to do and not to do. So that they won't be tempted to do the thing that is easiest, like drawing PBs.
wimvandierendonck
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Maybe this discussion should be moved out of this discussion.
steveningelbrecht wrote:So the welcoming text every new editor gets, with a link to the editing starting guide is not enough? What would you suggest to do more or change?
The link to the editing starting guide (https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Benelux_Beginner_Guide ?) describes how to edit. What I was suggesting was a separate list about what can be done and should not be done. This list should only contain what can be done for beginning editors not how to do it. (Or what the higher level editors would like to be done ;)). This list should be voluntary.
steveningelbrecht wrote: I am thinking on maybe give some extra hints via social media, but then again, only a small group of wazers is editing the map and thus only some followers on social media would be interested...
Hints could have a place in a separate channel on slack. Or in the editing channel with a special hash-tag.
wimvandierendonck
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

I would like to suggest to put more emphasis on the 'driving direction unknown' setting for unconnected segments in the PB page.
I have noticed that this is rarely set correctly.

I have done testing and based on this I
have learned that setting the direction to unknown for unconnected PB's is important for the quality of waze.
If not set to unknown Waze will, in certain circumstances, fix on a PB segment. Due to the fact that the segment is unconnected, Waze struggles to find a route. The user experiences frequent route recalculations and 'unable to find a route' errors. My testcase was designed so that the circumstances would be ideal to generate errors. But in the real world there must be a lot of comparable situations.
In one case Waze jumped to my test segments while I was driving nearby and lost its route completely.
wimvandierendonck
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Punt één is sowieso dat heel wat van die unconnected PB's niet moeten bestaan.
De gebruiker hoeft zelfs niet op die PB te rijden. Als die de auto op een oprit geparkeerd heeft en dichter bij een PB staat wat volgens mij vaak kan voorkomen, dan is die gebruiker niet gelukkig met waze.
wimvandierendonck
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

There could be more emphasis indeed.

But Peter's comments got me thinking about other scenarios. Now I have started some more testing.
I will return to this discussion in a few days (or weeks, depending on the update schedule).
wimvandierendonck
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

PBs are listed as non-drivable.
But from what I see in my tests, PBs are drivable, but 'excluded from routing'. Would that be correct?
I have screenshots to explain what I see (I will add them later)
P.S. my definition for drivable is: 'Waze snaps to segment when the direction is known'.
wimvandierendonck
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message