Post by taco909
qwaletee wrote:I would also prefer to see some massaging of the code that leaves tolerances at the endpoints. There is already some code for that, but I would prefer some additional logic. Perhaps require some minimum straight length before it considers reductions. I have seen it blow away a few carefully managed points at the end - combinations of doglegs and avoiding overlapping segments at densely mapped areas.
Ignore any "first" geometry node, whether within 5m or not, to preserve the turn angles (we don't always use doglegs to establish our <45< status), and avoid any geometry node within 10m of a junction, whether it is the first or 5th.
5m is likely okay, but it's possible that on some complex intersections there could be something between 5m and 10m to help prevent overlaps.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Lost "Suppress Unneeded Junctions" on the 6-26 update.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
ssl-3 wrote:Suppress Unneeded Junctions should come back to life.
SkiDooGuy wrote:Edit: Upon looking into the matter, the below is the current standing:

The tool was removed more or less by accident. The individual who removed it wasn't aware it required both AM AND R3. They thought it only required AM.

The tool has been re-enabled and will be back in the next TB release.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.
It will be back... we just have not had a TB update since the end of June.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
BellHouse wrote:
taco909 wrote:
ssl-3 wrote:Suppress Unneeded Junctions should come back to life.
SkiDooGuy wrote:Edit: Upon looking into the matter, the below is the current standing:

The tool was removed more or less by accident. The individual who removed it wasn't aware it required both AM AND R3. They thought it only required AM.

The tool has been re-enabled and will be back in the next TB release.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.
It will be back... we just have not had a TB update since the end of June.
I'm not sure if you're talking of the same thing. The TbCCs re-enabled the function 'suppress unneeded geometry' for the next release (for AMs with R3+), but not so for the function 'suppress unneeded junctions'.
If suppress unneeded junctions was removed by mistake, then why is it not being reactivated?
I find it potentially even more useful than unneeded geometry when cleaning up BBQs created by new editors.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
PesachZ wrote:Because permission changes only take effect during the following Toolbox update. There has not yet been a Toolbox update since the mistake was made/corrected. It is already set correctly in the settings and will take effect with the next Toolbox update .

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
I recognize that, but Bellhouse's comment seems to indicate that only "simplify selected" is being brought back on the next release, not "Remove unneeded junctions" which Skidoo indicated was removed by mistake on the last release.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
bart99gt wrote:In addition to bringing it back for the lower level editors/AMs, it also needs its old functionality restored. Having it skip over nodes with "forbidden" turns set really limits its usefulness.
I would disagree with this, simply because there are locations where a single node may have the through arrow restricted, but the u-turn(s) enabled, and the next segment is not tagged as a 1-way... perhaps due to a gate that is normally closed, but with driveways is such close proximity so as to make actual separation of the segments impractical due to smoothing in the app making them appear to still be connected (been more than once that I've been "free driving" and turned down a road only to find a 5m landscaped area severing a street, and the segments are separated in WME)

I would feel better if the script had some way to warn that turns were restricted and offer the option to bypass or approve.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
BellHouse wrote:I'm not sure if you're talking of the same thing. The TbCCs re-enabled the function 'suppress unneeded geometry' for the next release (for AMs with R3+)
What happened with this?
"suppress unneeded junctions" was restored but we still do not have "suppress unneeded geometry"
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
SkiDooGuy wrote:
taco909 wrote:
BellHouse wrote:I'm not sure if you're talking of the same thing. The TbCCs re-enabled the function 'suppress unneeded geometry' for the next release (for AMs with R3+)
What happened with this?
"suppress unneeded junctions" was restored but we still do not have "suppress unneeded geometry"
Nope, and to ease any confusion I'll put it this way.

Don't expect it back ever in the US. Pretend it never existed. :D
So 5 pages of discussion, most aimed at this specific tool, that is available in the UK and most of the rest of the world, with no solid argument of why it should NOT be restored....

And it's gone? :roll:
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
bart99gt wrote:But there is/was discussion on allowing it to be used only on selected segments, correct? It was much more useful than the "clear road geometry" tool, when trying to clean up base map in an area where all of the roads are badly misaligned in some spots, but OK in others.
Exactly.
Much easier to simplify and then move the remaining few dozen remaining geonodes than to move 100+, or clear the whole thing and start from scratch.

I don't have ANY issue with the "simplify everything on the screen" being limited to L6 or even eliminated entirely.
I don't have a problem with the "Simplifiable Segments" highlight being limited to L6 or even removed (since it serves to point out where one could farm points)

Yes, it could still be abused by someone selecting all in area... so fine... Modify it so "Simplify Selected" will not activate if more than one segment is selected, same as "remove geometry" works now.
That will allow the tool to still be useful but make it much less of a farming tool.
At that point, it would be no more of a farming tool than someone simply selecting segments and bumping geometry nodes.

Cheaters and farmers will always find ways. There was evidence in the LA Mapraid that mass-editing scripts other than Simseg, and scripts that I have still not seen, were used (late in the raid).
The use of Simseg early in the raid was obvious because it updated the basemap segments in the hills... but I saw "squares" down in the mature areas where hundreds of segments had all been "touched" within seconds of each other.

The addition of "throttling" shortly after the raid pretty much removed any "value" in mass edits.

So instead of dealing with the problem editors, we limit every car to 40mph?
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
SkiDooGuy wrote:Entire states gone over.
Yes. We saw that here too... done by some L6s before the mapraid.

But we're not talking about bringing back EVERYTHING as it was a year ago.

Take "Simplify all on screen" and leave it, as well as the highlight in the bit bucket.

Give back "Simplify Selected" and limit it so that it can only be used on a SINGLE selected segment...
That's how Clear All Geometry works and how Simplify could work.

As for entire states having been gone over... that was obviously done by one of the Champs... nobody else would have that level of editing rights, and we didn't have State Managers until more recently.
Why do they retain that rank when they have shown irresponsibility in editing?

Punish hundreds of responsible _____ because of the irresponsible actions of a few?
Sounds familiar.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich