Post by qwaletee
doctorkb wrote:If you want a reason that really impacts you, then let's say the more geonodes on the screen, the more intensive it is for TB or WMECH to provide highlights in the editor.
I mention this one specifically, because I remember a thread where someone had spoken to Dev, and claimed that Waze said not to worry about it.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by SCP1906
SkiDooGuy wrote: The tool has been re-enabled and will be back in the next TB release.
Good to hear.
Any word on the two discussed items from our TbCC(s)?
SCP1906
Send a message

Post by sketch
Thortok2000 wrote: This may just be a semantics thing, because exactly what you just said, I have also heard referred to as 'hardening' the soft turns. It loses the ability to automatically adjust direction or turn restrictions based on drives, and if those directions or turn restrictions haven't been adjusted and confirmed for accuracy, they are now 'hardened' or locked in until manually edited in the future.
Right about directions, wrong about turn restrictions. It's not just semantics, it's misinformation. There's a difference between the two.

Never-edited segments are "soft" in direction, meaning that drivers can automatically cause adjustments to them. Once the segment is edited, it is no longer "soft". This includes edits done by the simplify tool, of course. Therein lies the problem.

Automatically-adjustable turn restrictions are soft turns. Once a turn is no longer soft, it is hard. Turns also become hard when they are edited. Because turns don't have history data displayed, there is a separate indicator for softness – the question mark. But I digress. The simplifier does not edit turns, so it cannot affect their hardness or softness.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by SkiDooGuy
My only input here is this.

When I clean an area I used to use it as a "final touch" if you will, was nice to have roads without a googl of geo nodes attached to it. Rather than clearing all geo nodes and re-aligning manually.

Other than that I couldn't care less if it's there. However, if it's not going to be included can we please remove the highlight. It's kinda bugging the crap outta me. :)

If it is re-enabled. I am in support for CM and above, sadly I think some R5 even use it without thinking, there are far fewer CM's around. If only to discourage point farming from those few that do it. Or rather messing with otherwise incorrect segments as throttling prevents point farming nowadays.
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 1
Send a message
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor

https://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png

Post by SkiDooGuy
Edit: Upon looking into the matter, the below is the current standing:

The tool was removed more or less by accident. The individual who removed it wasn't aware it required both AM AND R3. They thought it only required AM.

The tool has been re-enabled and will be back in the next TB release.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Last edited by SkiDooGuy on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rank 6 editor

Post by SkiDooGuy
taco909 wrote:
BellHouse wrote:I'm not sure if you're talking of the same thing. The TbCCs re-enabled the function 'suppress unneeded geometry' for the next release (for AMs with R3+)
What happened with this?
"suppress unneeded junctions" was restored but we still do not have "suppress unneeded geometry"
Nope, and to ease any confusion I'll put it this way.

Don't expect it back ever in the US. Pretend it never existed. :D
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Rank 6 editor

Post by SkiDooGuy
taco909 wrote: So 5 pages of discussion, most aimed at this specific tool, that is available in the UK and most of the rest of the world, with no solid argument of why it should NOT be restored....

And it's gone? :roll:
No solid argument on why it should be here either.

Don't get me wrong, I am impartial and used it as well. But let's face facts, due to the few (and there were more "few" than most know) that tool got used for a lot of point farming, and splashing "updated by" names everywhere.

Long story short, it wasn't providing enough benefit for all the BS it was causing, and still is apparently.

We didn't miss it when it wasn't known, no reason to make a fuss about it now. :)
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Rank 6 editor

Post by SkiDooGuy
There wasn't any recent discussion to "bring to light". It was a decision made a long time ago when it was an issue, before I was in the position I am now.

But seeing some of the issues that can't be publicly discussed due to privacy. It was a bigger deal than you know and more wide spread.

Entire states gone over.

When it's that wide spread, there is no choice than to limit everyone.

I don't have access to it either, nor do any editor while in the United States, with the exception of the TB devs.

If it did come back, it would more than likely be a R5/CM tool only anyway, on selected segments. But I have been getting along fine in basemap even without it. It may take a few extra minutes, but that gives me more time to check things like naming, elevations, etc.

I (obviously) find a lot less that I missed when I am not scripting through an area.
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Rank 6 editor

Post by SkiDooGuy
taco909 wrote:
SkiDooGuy wrote:Entire states gone over.
Yes. We saw that here too... done by some L6s before the mapraid.

But we're not talking about bringing back EVERYTHING as it was a year ago.

Take "Simplify all on screen" and leave it, as well as the highlight in the bit bucket.

Give back "Simplify Selected" and limit it so that it can only be used on a SINGLE selected segment...
That's how Clear All Geometry works and how Simplify could work.

As for entire states having been gone over... that was obviously done by one of the Champs... nobody else would have that level of editing rights, and we didn't have State Managers until more recently.
Why do they retain that rank when they have shown irresponsibility in editing?

Punish hundreds of responsible _____ because of the irresponsible actions of a few?
Sounds familiar.

Punish? I find that to be a very inappropriate word.... In what way does not having that option detrimental to your editing?

Again, before it was around no one thought about it or cared. It was never a L6 that caused all the issues, even if one did so in LA, although I never heard it was simseg.... Just because you aren't privy to all incidences, don't assume you know how many or how wide spread it was. You don't need to be AM or CM to cause statewide issues. Plenty of people have huge multi state editing areas from driving for various reasons.

TBH, I don't know why I am arguing this... I don't care if the option is here or not. I never used it.
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Rank 6 editor

Post by ssl-3
Suppress Unneeded Junctions should come back to life.

In parts of rural Ohio, the basemap has every driveway and cowpath mapped as a driveable street. This leads to chaotic routing in ways that I don't need to explain here.

And I'm not talking about 50 nodes here or there, but entire counties wherein nearly every single property has at least one junction node that does not belong on the map. Thousands upon thousands of them.

I can nuke the unnamed road segments easily enough with careful application of the "Select segments" tool, but I'm invariably left with a sea of soft-turn junctions that just need to go away. (And if ever there were a dangerous tool, "Select segments" is it. But I don't dare say that out-loud in polite company.)

I recognize that there are important features which can only be conveyed by an otherwise-extraneous junction node, such as special U-turn areas on a roadway which for some reason or other is not split.

As a solution, I propose that it should operate only on junctions where all connected segments are set to "Automatic" lock, and that it again be available to all area managers.

Done in this way, all one would need to do to insulate a lonely and functional junction node from automatic and accidental deletion would be to set a lock (any lock) on any connected segment.

This solves the corner-case issue while allowing the efficient bulk-editing that we used to be able to do when faced with basemap.

I welcome any well-reasoned argument for or against this.

edit: The extraneous junction node remover bookmarklet in the Wiki is also presently nerfed and not-working.
ssl-3
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
ssl-3