English voice packs starts pronouncing the Chinese text

Moderators: MapSir, Editot, leocylau

Re: English voice packs starts pronouncing the Chinese text

Postby chengkeith » Wed May 22, 2019 5:16 pm

leocylau wrote:Tested. Very strange. It says "出口到出口6往9號幹線深井屯門 ". I think I need to change the translation in Transifex for the first "Exit" to 離開 instead of 出口
I just tested it. Strangely, there was no pause between 出口6 and 往, but for English, both English (UK) and English (US) managed to pause for the colon.

Out of curiosity, I also tested Putonghua (Mandarin) (如意), it also didn't pause, and it also pronounces ">" as a mathematics "greater than" sign (大於), so it becomes
Code: Select all
"出口到出口6大於往9號幹線深井,屯門 "
I guess you might have to tell Waze to add ">" shorthand for Putonghua as well.

I asked the app to speak a few times, now I think that the pause is not needed in Cantonese? :? It still sounds smooth to me. :roll: What do you think?
chengkeith

Postby chengkeith » Wed May 22, 2019 5:56 pm

I have another question regarding the ">" sign. When you put ">" at the beginning of the segment name, would it be spoken as
Exit left to toward some_destination
instead of simply
Exit left toward some_destination
?

Is there special handling in Waze about the ">" at the beginning of the segment name?

I'm wondering, if we use "> 往" as a pair in HK, can the Cantonese language pack be able to handle it in a similar way and say "離開往 XXX" instead of "離開到往XXX"?
chengkeith

Postby chengkeith » Wed May 22, 2019 6:12 pm

chengkeith wrote:I guess you might have to tell Waze to add ">" shorthand for Putonghua as well.
Actually can you simply tell Waze to set ">" as a shorthand for 往 in Chinese (both Cantonese and Putonghua, in which case it can save ourselves having to type the literal "往" in every single ramp?

if ">" is a shorthand for "toward 往" instead of just "toward", the TTS may be able to distinguish the English part from Chinese part already.
chengkeith

Postby leocylau » Thu May 23, 2019 4:53 pm

chengkeith wrote:Out of curiosity, I also tested Putonghua (Mandarin) (如意), it also didn't pause, and it also pronounces ">" as a mathematics "greater than" sign (大於), so it becomes
CODE: SELECT ALL
"出口到出口6大於往9號幹線深井,屯門 "
I guess you might have to tell Waze to add ">" shorthand for Putonghua as well.

I asked Waze to fix it. Waiting for reply.
UK WikiWaze StatusUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

Newcastle upon Tyne AM, HK CM
Motorola Razr i
[ img ]
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Hong Kong