[Discussion] LG handling for continue straight override

Post by tsemanhei
Can we align the best practise for continue straight override in LG?

I suggest
1. for multiple lane junctions with long stretch of road, we could override by default with "View only" continue straight.

2. for complex multiple lane junctions, we could override by default with "View and hear" continue straight.

I believe in doing so the LG behave similar to Google Map, at least on visual instruction

Wazeopedia: When to use the lanes continue straight override

Please let us know your views

tsemanhei

POSTER_ID:16984711

Send a message

Post by chengkeith
If all lanes can go straight, keep it "waze default" and no need to show?  If my next action is long way ahead (e.g. in 3km, turn left), I would rather to know my next action is 3km and then I can focus on the road and forget about checking the app every 5 seconds.

If all I'm getting is "in 300m, continue straight in any lanes" x 10 times, I'd be super annoyed.

Maybe you can test it out in your area first and you'll know what I mean. Having a junction being set as "View only" or "View and hear" in the middle, your next action will not be showed until you've passed this junction.  The real instruction (the one you need to turn) will be "hidden".

So I suggest we should only set the "View only" or "View and hear" when there is at least one lane cannot go straight. 

chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 11
Send a message

Post by chengkeith
By the way, @tsemanhei, I found that you might have misunderstood the continue straight override in LG.  Such as 
this junction, the driver cannot go straight, but you still override it to "View and hear".  This is unnecessary.

In most cases, you don't need to override them, because leaving it "Waze default" will give the same effect  (LG still shown anyway).

First you need to understand when lanes are/are not being shown in "Waze default" case.

If an instruction is displayed in that node (whether it is a keep left or turn right) (in other words, JAI indicator is anything but white colour), then lanes will always be shown. The shape of lane arrow is totally independent from the turn arrow instruction, so you can override the shape of the lane arrow to point "straight up", but it will not change the JAI indicator colour. For example, you can have a left-most lane pointing straight but the spoken instruction still tells the driver to "keep left". In that case, leaving it "Waze default" is enough. Lanes will always be displayed, because the turn arrow is a "keep left".

You only need to change the LG continue override to "View only/View and hear" when an instruction is not normally displayed (JAI indicator is white) but you still want to show LG at that junction to highlight the "continue straight" lanes.

chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 11
Send a message

Post by tsemanhei
A rule of thumb:

If not all lanes can continue straight, use "View and hear" continue straight.
https://i.postimg.cc/hPKLdNFD/image.png

If all lanes can continue straight, use "View only" continue straight.
https://i.postimg.cc/KvVY2gD6/image.png

tsemanhei
Send a message

Post by tsemanhei
https://chat.google.com/api/get_hangout ... 0&size=512

For situation similar to leading road 1 and 3, I will use "View and hear", because the driver could be on the lane cannot continue straight.

For situation similar to leading road 2, I will use "Waze default" or "View only".
If this happen to be a traffic light junction, I will use "View only".
tsemanhei
Send a message