Please don't divide 2-way road

Post by VictorKwok
Please don't divide 2-way road. Please see this map:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... 933&zoom=6

The Tin Wah Road does not allow U-Turn but dividing it makes U-Turn possible. Even Google Map shows it is a divided 2-way road, I don't think it is good for routing.

Here is a reference from Waze's wiki:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Best_map_edi ... _not_to.29

I think we can follow the above guide line to update Hong Kong map
VictorKwok

POSTER_ID:5958390

Send a message

Post by chengkeith
and yet to mention that at-grade connectors should be mapped to lowest segment type it is connected to, so an AGC from "Street" to "Primary Street" should have a "Street" type.
chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 11
Send a message

Post by chengkeith
By the way, talking about U-turn prevention in the first post, isn't u-turn already prevented if the three conditions are met (three segments, middle segment <15m long, first and third segment are 175-185° from each other (=almost parallel)) in Leo's first reply's link?

I observe that in most junctions in HK we don't seem to trust this three-segment u-turn prevention method and always try to draw new "right-turn filter" for right turn traffic and make it a big red arrow on the u-turn direction. Is it because this is a new routing logic that wasn't available back in the days? or is it not working effectively?
chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 11
Send a message

Post by Editot
Tin Wah Road should be divided on the map as it is today. It's a divided road. Looking at the junction on the OPs hyperlink as it is today, it appears correct to me.
Editot
Send a message

Post by Editot
Let's pick up the filters issue on the other thread - I'd like to understand the problem.

It works well for me...
Editot
Send a message

Post by leocylau
In order to avoiding u turn, you can refer to here. Bow tie method is one of them too.
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by leocylau
Oh, I just realised that I forgot to respond to this thread. Thanks Ian to bring it alive again. Yes, Tin Wah Rd should be divided and please keep it as it is.

@Victor, I understand your points but please also read the requirement to divide road in the wiki and Philip has posted in this thread for reference. Some fellow wazers know me well that I love 'Simplicity' but for this case, it is quite obviously they should be divided.
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

Post by leocylau
Oh forgot to mention, I hate these filter lanes and should be removed. We have a thread to discuss this. hehehe...sorry Editot, the word 'hate' may be too strong... :mrgreen:
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

Post by leocylau
yes, thank keith to adding this
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

Post by philip923
Following rules could support dividing the road:
A road may be divided when any of the following conditions are met:
It is an Interstate Highway (USA) or other Limited Access Highway using the "Freeway" road type,
GPS tracks show a clearly definable and continuous gap (blank area) between the color-by-azimuth arrows at the 100m/500ft zoom level,
multiple houses or businesses with no off-street parking are located directly on the street but are not accessible from the opposite direction of travel due to lengthy median, obstruction, or traffic control signage, or
U-turns are required to properly make turns from public drivable road types that are blocked by a median.
philip923
Send a message