How should the Highway type classify in HK?

Post by
There is report from user with suggestion on highway color(road type for editors I guess). May be because of pedestrian side walk with the freeway.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... ueFilter=1

I have been wonder if there is any guideline for the convention for HK highway?

I believe only the major route should be mark as freeway.

Reference from the Gov data on major routes
http://www.td.gov.hk/mini_site/hksrens/ ... teMapM.htm

POSTER_ID:16984711

Send a message

Post by chengkeith
Perhaps not many editors are reading this forum, but given that we have three types of highways in WME (minor highway, major highway, freeway), may I suggest the following classification?

- All official expressways are marked as freeway
- All roads with road shield numbers but not expressways (regardless of speed limit) are marked as major highway (including Waterloo Rd even though it has speed limit 50km/h)
- All roads without road shield numbers but with speed limit >= 70km/h are marked as minor highway (including Castle Peak Rd between Tsuen Wan and Tuen Mun, Tai Po Rd, Tsing Yi N Coastal Road)

- Other roads with 50km/h or below, should be classified at street level. If editor believes that it is a trunk road with significant traffic, classify it as primary street (e.g. Nathan Road, King's Rd). I can't think of a more clearer guidelines so this is up to discretion of the editor.
- Everything else, just street.

The above is just my personal thought. Feel free to suggest some other ways to classify them. I'm open to opinions.
chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 11
Send a message
Last edited by chengkeith on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by chengkeith
Agree with you, no need to change PS to S or vice versa if it makes no difference in routing. My main focus is to downgrade some mH to PS, mainly for better voice guidance. Junctions from a highway type (FW, MH, mH) to ramp or street type (PS, S) with junction angle <45 degrees will result in "exit left" instructions instead of "keep left". I don't know how much this downgrade action would affect routing though, as you said PS are treated the same as S. Surely Waze gives better weighting to and would prefer to use a highway, but I hope it also use past Wazer's data to determine whether a route is faster or not.

For examples: Permalink and Permalink. The at-grade connectors following these mH segments has "exit left" instruction but it would be more appropriate if it is "keep left" instead?

On the other hand, in the context of routing, given PS and S have no difference, I am curious to know, is there any difference among the three highway types (FW, MH, mH)?
chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by chengkeith
leocylau wrote:Again, I have a feeling that Road Shield only works with freeway type. I hope Editot can clarify that. But I'm testing it here. Just to wait for the tile update.
You have a very good point. I have been wondering why sometimes the road shield cannot be spoken by TTS voice guidance. This is probably why.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure road shield doesn't work in Cantonese TTS, even for FW. Normally when it would say "Keep left onto XXX", it becomes "Keep left" if "XXX" contains a curly brackets (road shield sign). The road segment name will simply be muted. Of course, I mean "Keep left" in Cantonese when it is spoken.
chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by cwlau9
*Sign*, this topic is somewhat I'm asking for a long time since 2015 and no one, especially Editot, who is named by leocylau, answer me for the standard they are using.

I somewhat agree with YouTube00crashtest, that the road types should consistency with other countries, and have done a lot of changes on the roads like Waterloo road, Sha Lek Highway, etc. too. However, Editot will revert the changes back to his standard, and lock the roads.

So disappointed that the major editor only edit himself and not discussing with others on this community map.
cwlau9
Send a message

Post by Editot
Hi guys, apologies - I rarely check into the forums.

Someone alerted me to this discussion, so here are my comments:

The Road Shields were created by waze to match the HK Strategic Routes and are triggered by using, e.g. {1} to show the Route 1 Shield.

All the Strategic Routes (1 through 10 - there's no 7) are also identified on the map as Freeways. This is perhaps unique to HK but displays the Strategic Routes clearly. Should not impact navigating.

Junctions on the Strategic Routes were included using the "Ramp" segments. Awkardly in HK only "Exits" are mapped and numbered, but not entrances (or Junctions which would capture both).

Other roads which would enjoy the characteristics of a Motorway, or Freeway, but are not HK Strategic Routes, should generally be marked with the next highest designation of Major Highway.

I hope this makes sense as you review the layout.

Would be great if we could get a HK Govt rep from the Lands Dept (http://www1.map.gov.hk/gih3/view/index.jsp) or Transport Dept (http://www.td.gov.hk/en/home/index.html) to provide input and help us create consistency with the mapping here.

China is a whole other issue. Very complicated!
Editot
Send a message

Post by leocylau
I believe Editot can answer your query. Just for your interest, this thread is something related to this topic.
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by leocylau
subaruho wrote:除左用政府既幹線圖,或者用埋速度去區別~~
Someone did suggest to use speed limit to define road type in Mainland China but I'm a bit hesitate to do this.
Btw, I think it is time to put the speed limit on every segments ;)
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

Post by leocylau
Hi all,
Nice to see everyone to take this seriously. It is a good sign but please to be gentle when there is some disagreement. Try to compromise with majority if it doesn't really affect navigation.
Anyway, I have a feeling that Waterloo Rd has been defined as 'Freeway' because of the road shield? I can't recall that but hope that Editot can give us some input.
In my own opinion, I'll keep Waterloo Rd as Freeway.
Cheers,
Leo
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

Post by leocylau
chengkeith wrote:- All official expressways are marked as freeway
No doubt no one will disagree this ;)
chengkeith wrote:- All roads with road shield numbers but not expressways (regardless of speed limit) are marked as major highway (including Waterloo Rd even though it has speed limit 50km/h)
Again, I have a feeling that Road Shield only works with freeway type. I hope Editot can clarify that. But I'm testing it here. Just to wait for the tile update.
chengkeith wrote:- All roads without road shield numbers but with speed limit >= 70km/h are marked as minor highway (including Castle Peak Rd between Tsuen Wan and Tuen Mun, Tai Po Rd, Tsing Yi N Coastal Road)
I'm in between agree and disagree but I'm OK with it.
- Other roads with 50km/h or below, should be classified at street level. If editor believes that it is a trunk road with significant traffic, classify it as primary street (e.g. Nathan Road, King's Rd). I can't think of a more clearer guidelines so this is up to discretion of the editor.
Yes, it is OK. More busy road should be PS but it depends on local ppl how to define it. In term of routing, S & PS has no difference and just only have visual differences in the app and WME. So it is not necessary to change what we have already done.
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

Post by subaruho
唔係好睇得明添....
subaruho
Send a message