Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Any rules/system on updating according to Traffic notices

Post by NickYau00
Hi There,

I've been running into some errors on map directions. However, when I try to fix it, I find they are changed according to Traffic Notices posted by the Traffic Department.
http://www.td.gov.hk/en/traffic_notices/index.html

And some of them are time limited like the one on Tsat Tsz Mui Road, North Point.
http://www.td.gov.hk/en/traffic_notices ... 46535.html

Is there a rule or system on how we should update the map according to the Traffic Notices? If no, any suggestions on how to update the map accordingly?
NickYau00

POSTER_ID:17394936

Send a message

Post by chengkeith
Editot wrote:Yes... https://support.google.com/waze/partner ... 9810?hl=en

I used this recently for the HK Cyclothon and other "Events". It seemed to work well.

Would be great if we could collectively keep an eye on the TD web site for Traffic Notices and implement them using this.
I saw that you added the HK Cyclothon event and Closure the other day. The accurate Closure info enabled Waze to correctly route me to the best route to the airport and also gave me a very good ETA. Thanks for that, Editot.

I'd love to help adding the Closures, unfortunately this function is currently locked to L5, and you and Leo are the only two editors in HK that has L5 or above ranks. Leo is currently living in the UK so I highly rely on you to help adding the Closures. :mrgreen: What is the most effective way for us to let you know about a latest TD notice? Do you read the HK Editor Requests forum or the Forum PM often?

Also, does any of you by any chance know whether TD put a graphical interpretation of closure details anywhere on their website? Every time I read their traffic notice (in text form), I have to figure out myself which road segment (and direction) is closed. That's frustrating. I see that the media (TV news) draw nicely visualized maps, I wonder TD supplies that info or whether they interpret it from TD's (text form) notice too.
chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 11
Send a message

Post by chengkeith
I know it must have taken you ages to include all the Closure segments, which is why I was wondering if you had a visualized map in hand.

I'd love to help in China but I don't know where to start. I've never driven in China so I'm not familiar with their driving rules and stuff (for example, speed limit on G-road / S-road / X-roads?). Without Google Street View and a usable non-copyrighted source, it's so hard to contribute in China. I've witnessed that in the Mega MapRaid last month.

Regarding my own rank, I got from a completely L1 newbie to L3 in two months, I'm not sure whether this is a fast pace or not, but I don't think I can reach L5 in near future. The ranking system has changed since your days. In 2017, to reach higher rank, it's not the number of edits that matters, so I don't really know what I need to get me further up the ladder. To me, the rank doesn't matter much, I just want to be able to edit and do my work. It is sometimes frustrating to see that certain features are locked to L5 (another feature is Junction Box). I know in some other countries (e.g. USA) the community is so big that L5 is so common (almost everyone is L5), so they still have enough people to do the Closure / Junction box thing even these features are locked to L5. Not the case in HK.
chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 11
Send a message

Post by Editot
Yes... https://support.google.com/waze/partner ... 9810?hl=en

I used this recently for the HK Cyclothon and other "Events". It seemed to work well.

Would be great if we could collectively keep an eye on the TD web site for Traffic Notices and implement them using this.
Editot
Send a message

Post by Editot
The "Report a Road Closure" feature works well, I'm pleased you benefited from it the other day.

Please accelerate your editing (can you help out in China?) to get to L5 so you can help.

I don't always have time to edit and rarely attend these forums, so it comes in fits and bursts during quiet periods. We would need more contributors to capture all closures, I'm happy to help out where I can but the Cyclothon should have been called the Cyclothon / editorthon - it took ages!

I think if there are critical large-scale events like fireworks or the Cyclothon we will see images of closures but for the most part it's in text form and not always 100% accurate - so you need to be able to contextualise to double-check what is happening and where and, as you say, it's not easy.

We should introduce waze to a TD staffer or someone from the Lands Dept (mapping) so we can get help from them on some of this stuff.

I'm seeing more and more wazers on the map every day in HK which is great. What (or who) is driving adoption? Brilliant.
Editot
Send a message

Editot
Send a message