MTR/Railway

Post by leocylau
Please do not map MTR/Railway if they are underground. It serves no purposes to driver. There is some guidelines for your reference.

1. If MTR/Railway is above the ground, you can map it for location purposes.
2. MTR/Railway should not be overlapped with normal road segment. You can offset them a bit away from drivable segment.
3. They should not be connected to other drivable segments.
4. They should be locked in L5+ to prevent other editors to connect them to drivable segments.
5. Do not map any railroad underground. It serves no purposes to driver and make the map clutter.
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3

POSTER_ID:524814

Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by chengkeith
How about existing railways that are underground? Leave them there? Can I still update them or delete them?

This makes the railway map inconsistent / incomplete. For example, as of today, we have full length of Island Line and Tsuen Wan Line (most of which are underground) in the map, but only the section above ground of Kwun Tong Line is drawn. Tseung Kwan O Line is completely missing, because it's fully underground

I think we should either:
1) Complete the rest of Kwun Tong Line and Tseung Kwan O Line; or
2) Remove underground sections of all other MTR lines.
chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 11
Send a message

Post by chengkeith
Do you mean Tsuen Wan Line (between Kwai Hing and Kwai Fong) and East Rail Line (between University and Tai Po Market)? We can keep those, or just disconnect the part inside tunnels.

I suggest that even if we keep the over-ground (or at-grade) railways, we should draw them slightly offset from drivable road segments. For example, the tramway on HK island used to be completely overlapped with the drivable segments (e.g. King's Road, Hennessy Road). It makes editing of these drivable segments difficult on WME. I have moved the tramway slightly off.
chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by chengkeith
Converting two-way to one-way requires immense amount of work and is prone to mistakes. If current routing works well, I would not want to touch it.

Afterall, the tramline is there for visual appearance only. In my Waze mobile app (I use iOS, not sure if it's the same on Android), it thickens all drivable segments and so tramline will still appear in the middle of the drivable segment and not on its left nor right, although on WME,
it isn't completely overlapped: Permalink (you have to zoom all the way in).

https://holland.pk/3ct24jfn
chengkeith
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by Editot
I generally agree although how to deal with predominantly over-gound railways with occasional tunnels?

I suggest keep these.

Editot
Editot
Send a message

Post by Editot
Re HK Island Tramlines, most of the time these run through the middle of the road and the road should be split, so the Tramlines should not interfere with the road segments.

For simplicity, there should only be 1 tramline to represent 2-way tramlines - they're for visual interpretation only, not for "driving".
Editot
Send a message

Post by Editot
If there is a single road segment near the tramline, consider separating to 2 road segments (unless 1-way)...

Also have to consider the Light Rail in New Territories but the satellite images aren't always clear enough.

#HongKongPollutionSucks
Editot
Send a message

Post by Editot
Im on iOS also.

I knew you'd pick Kennedy Town - those are all 1-way segments. It's a nightmare!!! lol

Let's leave it on the basis "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...
Editot
Send a message

Post by leocylau
Hi all,

In case you encounter some under-construction railway, tram, light rail, MTR, etc, you can map them as far as following the above guidelines.

Cheers,

Leo
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

Post by leocylau
I suggest to remove all existing underground railways. Keep thing consistent.
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum