Let's put some Greek in waze!

Post by krankyd
hi guys,

just wanted to let you know that thanks to one of our wazers in Greece, we have a good start on the translation of waze to Greek.
If you want, you can complete this translation (especially important is the first tab - 'client text'). Once this tab is ready we can upload this language to the options in waze, and you will have the application working in Greek!

The instructions are available here:
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Tran ... l_language
And the most updated file is here:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9Mrke ... Mzdm&hl=en
krankyd

POSTER_ID:84

Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by hsoc
Hei krankyd,
I have started doing the translation at least a dozen times, but it seems hard for me (to translate accurately that is). I'll try once again though since someone started it already :-)
hsoc
Send a message

Post by hsoc
Hello zgargant,
Glad that you are wazing like crazy, we definately need more wazers. Besides translating you can help by correcting geometry and putting names on your driven roads in the cartouch section (Live Map -> Update Map). Let me know if you need some help :-)
hsoc
Send a message

Post by hsoc
Όποιος ασχολείται με τις μεταφράσεις ας μου στείλει ένα PM για να του στείλω με email αυτά που είχα κάνει παλιά.
hsoc
Send a message

Post by iniochos
Hello,

I am a newbie in waze but willing to learn and contribute :) . The more users the merrier for waze to unleash it's potential. A Greek translation will surely help waze to gain more Greek users.

We might focus on the first tab "client text" as krankyd suggested and divide the task in ~100 lines (001 - 099, 100 - 199, 200 - 299, ...). Anyone willing to try can declare which part he will undertake in order to avoid overlaps. We should agree first on some general rules on the translation (eg open = άνοιγμα or άνοιξε, close = κλείσιμο or κλείσε). The rules in my opinion are needed if we want to reach a uniform result. Then again, our first target should be to complete the translation, polishing the translation follows :roll: .

Waiting for your comments,

zgargant
iniochos
Send a message

Post by kazaline
Hi krankyd

The Greek translation is wrongly placed in the ticker_text tab of the spreadsheet instead of the client_text tab, that it corresponds to.
Maybe it was done on purpose because that is where it should be, since the percentage of completion is still very low, or maybe because if it was in the client tab it would appear in our clients, part in English and part in Greek.
But then, how can others associate the corresponding text in English or other language they feel comfortable with?

By the way, is there some way we could test the translation result (simulate the translation application on the client and therefore correct possible mistakes), because our language is a bit grammatically peculiar?

Thanks
kazaline
kazaline
Send a message

Post by kazaline
Hello everybody,

HSOC, you have done an excelent job in Thessaloniki!
zgargant, happy to find you here, I was looking for you and couldnt find a way to reach you. I was also looking for dtsoukalas.

I agree on the points you both made above. That is why I started the Area Managers Ελλας topic so that we can discuss matters in Greek comfortably.

As far as the translation, if we manage to set up also the wiki pages in greek I believe it will help more than translating the client itself although I started from that point.
I have some experience of the platform as a wikipedia contributor and believe I can help. By translating the wiki we can expect more wazers also.

We have to find a way of direct communication in between us. First alternative and maybe one of the best is here on the forum. Second alternative, we can exchange email addresses but I would prefer this being done over a direct message in lets-say twitter or foursquare (which I assume that is our common link) or maybe facebook so we can gather some points as well ;) .

Keep in touch & take care...
kazaline
kazaline
Send a message

Post by pinitrius
Χρησιμοποιω το waze αρκετα και εχω ασχοληθει με την διορθωση των χαρτων.

Θεωρω οτι στην λειτουργια "αναζητηση" θα πρεπει τα αποτελεσματα να ειναι πιο ευελικτα. Για παραδειγμα, θα πρεπει βρισκει το ονομα της οδου ανεξαρτητα απο το αν δωθει τονισμενο ή οχι (Τσιμισκη ή Τσιμισκή).

Νομιζω οτι αυτο αποτελει μειονεκτημα και σε σχεση με αλλες εφαρμογες GPS.
pinitrius
Send a message