Friends without FaceBook

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Friends without FaceBook

Postby OldGnome » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:26 pm

travtufts wrote:True, Facebook allows you to group people into various lists and apply custom privacy settings to those lists. But I don't believe Waze allows you the same benefit when in the app. That is, I can control when Waze posts on Facebook and to whom, but I can't control other "friends" that are Wazers seeing me while in the app. I'd be very happy if this wasn't the case, but as far as I can tell, it is.

Facebook allows you to restrict posts from an application to a custom group. Or at least, it seems/claims to. I have not tested it.
OldGnome

Postby travtufts » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:30 pm

OldGnome wrote:
travtufts wrote:True, Facebook allows you to group people into various lists and apply custom privacy settings to those lists. But I don't believe Waze allows you the same benefit when in the app. That is, I can control when Waze posts on Facebook and to whom, but I can't control other "friends" that are Wazers seeing me while in the app. I'd be very happy if this wasn't the case, but as far as I can tell, it is.

Facebook allows you to restrict posts from an application to a custom group. Or at least, it seems/claims to. I have not tested it.

Yes, that is absolutely right, but that's within the Facebook ecosystem. What Waze does not do is allow you to select individual Facebook "friends" to see where you are on Waze. As it stands now, if you are "friends" with someone on Facebook who is also a Wazer, then they can see where you are when you open the app on your phone. We need an option to choose who sees that information in Waze, just like we can choose who can see what Waze posts on Facebook.

I understand Waze probably isn't eager to create their own mini social network, but it shouldn't be hard to use a Wazer's nickname to add them as a friend, vs the Facebook method.
travtufts

Postby kbwaldron » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Two and half years later and still the requirement for Facebook. As a professional I killed my FB account long ago. Too many ways for your reputation to be screwed by FB.
I understand the nature of Waze development model, but this is a pretty starightforward requirement. Let me select Waze users I'd like to be my friends and who then can then see my location. I they want to let me see them, they select me as a friend. End of requirement.
I can only imagine the amount of time that went into writing the FB interface for Waze, and goes into maintaining it.
kbwaldron

Postby woodchuck3 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:09 am

Had I known this was a Facebook required app I would have never downloaded and installed it. It's too bad because this is a great idea with a lot of potential. I have friends that do not have FB and that makes this app useless for all the "friend" features. I will be uninstalling this app and going back to google latitude. Such a shame, good idea, poor execution.
woodchuck3

Postby OldGnome » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:31 am

woodchuck3 wrote:Had I known this was a Facebook required app...

Interesting thought. Facebook is NOT required. Whatever gave you that idea?
OldGnome

Postby nate2569 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Just get your programmers moving on getting Waze up to being a standalone program without piggybacking off Facebook for the "friends" feature. That's one aspect of Waze I (along with a lot of others) do not like. Is this even in the works?
nate2569

Postby macmum » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:36 pm

Another anti-Facebook vote.

I know we can use Waze without Facebook, just as we can also use other competing mapping solutions. I guess Waze has decided they would rather lose users to competitors than change this policy. So be it. Sad but not surprising consequence of what, IMHO, is an ill-advised, short sighted stance.

Best regards.
macmum

Friends without FaceBook

Postby seriousarsonist » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:50 pm

hanesian wrote:Another anti-Facebook vote.

I know we can use Waze without Facebook, just as we can also use other competing mapping solutions. I guess Waze has decided they would rather lose users to competitors than change this policy. So be it. Sad but not surprising consequence of what, IMHO, is an ill-advised, short sighted stance.

Best regards.

+1

NI area manager
Waze Beta - iPhone 4s iOS 6.0.1 not jail broken
Image Image Image
UK Champ and Area Manager for the North of the Island of Ireland Image Image

Comber WX: What the weather is like where I edit
seriousarsonist

Postby guimaurin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:03 am

Would love to have the ability to add friends from Google+ by example too
guimaurin

Another anti-Facebook vote (2nd)

Postby rolphdie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:05 am

hanesian wrote:Another anti-Facebook vote.

Best regards.

totally i agree with this.

stop toadying to fb!
rolphdie

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General