Friends without FaceBook

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Friends without FaceBook

Postby forserioussounds » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:42 pm

I would also love to have this functionality. I have several friends that have waze but don't have facebook. There no way to see them on my map or chat between each other and count toward the Friends reward for points on waze.
forserioussounds

Postby majic12 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:11 pm

can we please not become slaves to facebook... I really could use the option to use waze with friends and business people i know without having to "facebook" them...its actually comical that a system like waze is incapable of forging ahead without facebook.
majic12

Postby OldGnome » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:22 pm

majic12 wrote:...its actually comical that a system like waze is incapable of forging ahead without facebook.

You mean instead of building their own social network infrastructure? I would much rather the app remain focused on driving than social networking.
OldGnome

Postby cameraguy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:30 am

I vote for this too!
cameraguy

Re: Re: Friends without FaceBook

Postby cherianchris » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:33 am

OldGnome wrote:
majic12 wrote:...its actually comical that a system like waze is incapable of forging ahead without facebook.

You mean instead of building their own social network infrastructure? I would much rather the app remain focused on driving than social networking.

+1
FB is an option, not a compulsion to use Waze.

Regards,
Chris

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
Image Image
cherianchris
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby travtufts » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Another vote for friends without using facebook. Or at the very least, the ability to use Facebook with "custom" groups of friends. I don't need every whatshisname knowing where I'm driving -- just a few select family members and friends at most.
travtufts

Postby OldGnome » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:25 pm

travtufts wrote:Another vote for friends without using facebook. Or at the very least, the ability to use Facebook with "custom" groups of friends. I don't need every whatshisname knowing where I'm driving -- just a few select family members and friends at most.

There is a pretty granular level of control you can establish with Facebook - that is, who can see what. You can create custom lists there.

On the other hand, if you have 10,000 "friends" on Facebook....
OldGnome

Postby Bad_Luck » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:22 am

My friends and I keep track of our live locations on Google maps using their Latitude program. It's free and seems to work fine for us so far. It has been particularly helpful to us (as a group) when we are out on our motorcycles. Allows us to either meetup easier, or re-find each other if we get separated. You can see your friends on the map, click on them, and get specific directions to them.
Bad_Luck

Postby cherianchris » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:53 am

I use Waze on my Motorcycle with Bluetooth Earphones in my Helmet. And I don't try to look at the screen when moving.

Waze employs a time delay, so it would be practically impossible for you to locate your missing rider if he strays too far from the pack. More advisable to use Short Wave Radio for Group Motorcycling.

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
Image Image
cherianchris
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby travtufts » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:03 pm

OldGnome wrote:
travtufts wrote:Another vote for friends without using facebook. Or at the very least, the ability to use Facebook with "custom" groups of friends. I don't need every whatshisname knowing where I'm driving -- just a few select family members and friends at most.

There is a pretty granular level of control you can establish with Facebook - that is, who can see what. You can create custom lists there.

On the other hand, if you have 10,000 "friends" on Facebook....

True, Facebook allows you to group people into various lists and apply custom privacy settings to those lists. But I don't believe Waze allows you the same benefit when in the app. That is, I can control when Waze posts on Facebook and to whom, but I can't control other "friends" that are Wazers seeing me while in the app. I'd be very happy if this wasn't the case, but as far as I can tell, it is.
travtufts

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General