can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Re: can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Postby Borgholio » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:13 pm

TSXyKorova wrote:
I see no point in arguing about it.

// Sent using Tapatalk HD Beta. Please PM me with any issues. //

I see no point in necroing a 7 month old thread...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio

Re: Re: Re: can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Postby Borgholio » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:58 pm

rand0m9 wrote:
Borgholio wrote:
TSXyKorova wrote:
I see no point in arguing about it.

// Sent using Tapatalk HD Beta. Please PM me with any issues. //

I see no point in necroing a 7 month old thread...

I don't see the point in letting these threads go dead which just causes people to make a ton of duplicate topics because a previous one got pushed back a few pages and people are too lazy to search.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Obviously someone doesn't know basic forum etiquette involving necroing old threads.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio

Re: can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Postby checkyoulater » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:18 am

first off i have to tip my hats off to the devs, from all the GPS/nav apps i've tried nothing has come close to the experience i have had with WAZE. that being said, having downloadable maps must be on the table. with all the social aspects layered over it. making that an optional "paid" version would definitely put waze over the top. while i have no fear of data plans going haywire on an unlimited data plan, BUT the philippines is notorious for not having the best OTA data speeds transfers. this would definitely cause problems with maps not loading fast enough, or not loading at all, to be actually useful.

i love the social feature/crowd sourcing data implementation. and it does bring drivers and commuters together on a common platform. but this is all for nothing if the maps don't load properly because of slow data connection speeds. (am i making sense here?)
checkyoulater

Postby dmcconachie » Sun May 13, 2012 10:53 am

Planning your route (ie requesting a route) whilst you have a data connection should* cache the required route.

*I say should, there are mixed reports of the success of this. I've seen it work for a 150 mile journey (during the fabled AWS Ireland outage no less) but YMMV.

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby dtothill » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Love Waze! :D But would love it more if I could download my maps ahead of time. I have an iPhone with plenty of storage! Seems like it would improve the app a lot if the only data that needed to be transmitted was GPS coordinates of other users.

Hope we see this rolled out soon
dtothill

Postby gettingthere » Mon May 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Navigation applications that download the entire map to your device are not that cost prohibitive. Browse your app store. Could be less expensive than spending for a higher capacity data plan if you don't need the data for other users.

Although I should also say that I was running Waze a couple of hours daily for my commute on an AT&T 200MB plan and it was workable. Of course I had to minimize usage of everything to not go over.

My iPhone has been much more useful when I switched from the 200MB to 2GB plan. No need to be fussing over data usage constantly. When I look back it was foolish to be limited to 200MB per month.
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, Waze 3.7.8
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:56 am

I suggest you use Waze more before proclaiming the product is crippled by not having a manual method to pre load maps.
Wazer in San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, Waze 3.7.8
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gianekaren » Thu May 31, 2012 12:02 pm

i have the same plan with att.. 200mb and i use waze all day long..refresh map, sending log and whatever..
until now i never exceed the 200mb..
off course the way we use the phone is different for everybody... i don't download or stream unless i'm connected with wireless...but i surf a little, download small app.. etc...

i don't think that the maps in waze will kill your data plan..Image
ImageImage
ImageArea Manager North East PA Image
Atrix 4G rooted 2.3.6
gianekaren

Postby iseeu1001 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Can you please make it so maps are pre loaded and not using data because I only have a 200 MB cap on my service :( I don't want to pay extra $15 for every time I go over :( I would get unlimited if it was around but sadly most companys run out of unlimited and AT&t doesn't seem to have it. Please I really like waze it's a good gps but the data consumption please do something bout it thanks...
iseeu1001

Postby iseeu1001 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:18 pm

maantje76 wrote:
iseeu1001 wrote:Can you please make it so maps are pre loaded and not using data because I only have a 200 MB cap on my service :( I would get unlimited if it was around but sadly most companys run out of unlimited and AT&t doesn't seem to have it. Please I really like waze it's a good gps but the data consumption please do something bout it thanks...

The idea behind waze is routing based on realtime traffic situation. Without à dataconnection you don't have the profit of that. Also you don't automaticaly provide information for the other Wazers in your area.

But the reports are rarely correct so I don't see the point of reporting :roll: . Can you please make it seperate so I can just use the gps and not all that reporting I will pay 3.99 for an app like that. Except all other apps are more expensive.
iseeu1001

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General