can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Moderator: Unholy

Postby maantje76 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:34 am

And you have lots of zoomlevels, so it's not simple scrolling...

Every week the maptiles getting automaticaly refreshed. The tiles your route is crossing are also refreshed during driving, so you have to switch of your internet connection to prevent that!
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators

Re: can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Postby dmcconachie » Sun May 13, 2012 10:53 am

Planning your route (ie requesting a route) whilst you have a data connection should* cache the required route.

*I say should, there are mixed reports of the success of this. I've seen it work for a 150 mile journey (during the fabled AWS Ireland outage no less) but YMMV.

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby maantje76 » Sun May 13, 2012 11:12 am

Planning à known route without dataconnection can also work if the tiles are in cache. Because of datacompression is not working for me (why? I don't know), I sometimes deside to switch of dataconnection if I cross a border. You can calculate the route if you did it before...

Only plan à route without precache the tiles won't work (for me). They load during your trip. Maybe the highest zoomlevel?...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby floppyrod84 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:26 pm

No. Although they're vector maps, and the client draws the map itself, it still needs different data for different zoom levels, don't ask me why. For that reason, getting a route from home or scrolling (results may vary) seems the only option at the moment. It is extremely unlikely that Waze will ever implement an offline mode because of their business model, i.e. live data.
floppyrod84

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon May 14, 2012 2:35 am

xteejx wrote:It is extremely unlikely that Waze will ever implement an offline mode because of their business model, i.e. live data.

I certainly understand why they are thinking this at the time. However, at both meetups, I think everyone made it clear that for Waze to be useful and to compete in the general GPS market (commuter market alone isn't going to generate enough revenue), that caching the entire route at a fairly low zoom level and have the client determine what to display at the various zoom levels, as soon as possible after the route is set is important.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Postby bgodette » Mon May 14, 2012 6:33 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
xteejx wrote:It is extremely unlikely that Waze will ever implement an offline mode because of their business model, i.e. live data.

I certainly understand why they are thinking this at the time. However, at both meetups, I think everyone made it clear that for Waze to be useful and to compete in the general GPS market (commuter market alone isn't going to generate enough revenue), that caching the entire route at a fairly low zoom level and have the client determine what to display at the various zoom levels, as soon as possible after the route is set is important.

+1

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:05 pm

+1 here too

Sent from my Telenor_OneTouch using Tapatalk
floppyrod84

Postby gettingthere » Mon May 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Navigation applications that download the entire map to your device are not that cost prohibitive. Browse your app store. Could be less expensive than spending for a higher capacity data plan if you don't need the data for other users.

Although I should also say that I was running Waze a couple of hours daily for my commute on an AT&T 200MB plan and it was workable. Of course I had to minimize usage of everything to not go over.

My iPhone has been much more useful when I switched from the 200MB to 2GB plan. No need to be fussing over data usage constantly. When I look back it was foolish to be limited to 200MB per month.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby JwK_ » Fri May 18, 2012 8:28 am

Hi, Summer is coming up and with that a lot of roadtrips. For Europe, which normally have no problem with data caps, this becomes an issue. I will be doing 6000km from Sweden to Spain in a few months, caching maps (while still reporting data to waze for crowd sourcing) would be extremely useful , and would reduce the roaming charges considerably.
I see no disadvantage for waze implementing this. As it stands now, most people will buy an offline app instead for these occasions.
Please make this possible for us!

On a side note; does anyone have reliable statistics on waze data usage, when no maps are locally cached, and perhaps also for different road reports enabled/disabled.
JwK_

Postby Bombebomb » Wed May 30, 2012 8:14 pm

Straight talk has an unlimited $45 plan for ANY GSM smart phone (the ones which take sim cards)
Around 2GB is the data "limit" (yes, they lie on their unlimited).

I basically dedicate my Iphone to waze on this plan.

That may interest some of you to save cash.

As far as false reports, it's hard to tell what is false and what is true. Cops move constantly, a long with automobiles on the side of the road etc.
Bombebomb

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General