can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Postby gianekaren » Thu May 31, 2012 12:02 pm

i have the same plan with att.. 200mb and i use waze all day long..refresh map, sending log and whatever..
until now i never exceed the 200mb..
off course the way we use the phone is different for everybody... i don't download or stream unless i'm connected with wireless...but i surf a little, download small app.. etc...

i don't think that the maps in waze will kill your data plan..Image
ImageImage
ImageArea Manager North East PA Image
Atrix 4G rooted 2.3.6
gianekaren

Postby rapsis » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:25 pm

My data plan is for 200 megs and I have never exceeded it. Though I would like to have offline version as well. When going abroad 1 day of data roaming costs more than my usual monthly payment for data plan. So the only alternative is to buy another gps navigation app. It would cost me less than roaming with waze for 2 weeks.
rapsis

Postby checkyoulater » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:18 am

first off i have to tip my hats off to the devs, from all the GPS/nav apps i've tried nothing has come close to the experience i have had with WAZE. that being said, having downloadable maps must be on the table. with all the social aspects layered over it. making that an optional "paid" version would definitely put waze over the top. while i have no fear of data plans going haywire on an unlimited data plan, BUT the philippines is notorious for not having the best OTA data speeds transfers. this would definitely cause problems with maps not loading fast enough, or not loading at all, to be actually useful.

i love the social feature/crowd sourcing data implementation. and it does bring drivers and commuters together on a common platform. but this is all for nothing if the maps don't load properly because of slow data connection speeds. (am i making sense here?)
checkyoulater

Postby floppyrod84 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:38 am

Yeah that makes perfect sense and although my data plan is only 500mb I'm not charged for using extra. There MUST be an option to cache an entire route map from Wi-Fi for those on low data plans or for signal dropouts. Especially for the developing world or in areas in some countries where signal is likely to be inconsistent.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby KCMike » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:43 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing this feature but instead of the entire US, however about the option for either cities, states or regions? I like in Kansas City & 95% of my driving is done 45 minutes from my house & back.
KCMike

Postby TSXyKorova » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:50 pm

I drove from Raleigh, NC (27606) to Kershaw, SC (29067), and lost T-Mobile coverage on long sections of the trip. For most the second half of my drive, Waze showed a white screen -- no street, no landmarks, nothing. When I pulled over and zoomed out, I found that I'd somehow deviated from my planned course, and Waze never even alerted me. Fail!

Waze has GOT to start caching ahead, and not just the route, but 10 or so miles on each side of the route, in case of detours. Otherwise, Waze is useless to me.
HTC Amaze 4G (Gingerbread 4.0.3) on T-Mobile.
TSXyKorova

Postby Borgholio » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:55 am

Google Nav caches the whole route now, and just recently introduced the feature where you can pre-download maps in a 10-square mile area from any arbitrary point too. If Waze wants to keep competing, it needs something similar.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby TSXyKorova » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:58 pm

Borgholio wrote:Google Nav caches the whole route now, and just recently introduced the feature where you can pre-download maps in a 10-square mile area from any arbitrary point too. If Waze wants to keep competing, it needs something similar.

Google Maps has offered the "pre-cache map tiles" add-on since before I got my Android in December, 2011. I'm not sure it's built-in now, is it?
HTC Amaze 4G (Gingerbread 4.0.3) on T-Mobile.
TSXyKorova

Postby Borgholio » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:08 pm

I just read an article about it the other day but it may be old news...I only switched from Iphone to Droid about two weeks ago.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby dtothill » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Love Waze! :D But would love it more if I could download my maps ahead of time. I have an iPhone with plenty of storage! Seems like it would improve the app a lot if the only data that needed to be transmitted was GPS coordinates of other users.

Hope we see this rolled out soon
dtothill

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General