can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Postby Bengoshi2000 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:20 am

The lack of having a "pre-load maps" option is pretty close to a deal breaker for me.

First, it would help limit the amount of plan data being used. Second, it would allow Waze to work in poor reception areas (keeping core functionality intact in those ares would make Waze indispensable for the end user). Third, the social functions of Waze could be kept intact regardless of any pre-caching option (so I don't buy that excuse).

I've used Waze a couple of times now and really like it. Pre-caching of maps via wi-fi would vault Waze to the forefront of GPS apps, but it's crippled without it.
Bengoshi2000

Postby gettingthere » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:56 am

I suggest you use Waze more before proclaiming the product is crippled by not having a manual method to pre load maps.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:54 am

Had you searched the forums, you'd know that by setting a route via wifi does indeed cache most, if not all of the relevant map.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby Bengoshi2000 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:38 am

Settle down everyone... Waze is a fantastic app and I am enjoying it, but putting this option in the routing interface would help data conscious users stay within their data plans and, more importantly, avoid the problem of no map availability in low signal areas.

If, indeed, the Waze does cache the route via wifi, the app developers should just come out and say this up front instead of leaving it to be hashed out deep in a forum thread somewhere.

Until the app developers either put a pre-load map route option in the app, or state clearly and unequivocally in the app description/FAQ that maps pre-load automatically (to quell my concerns about map availability in low signal/rural areas), I stand by the term "crippled."
Bengoshi2000

Postby floppyrod84 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:28 am

Then with all due respect I'd call people in wheelchairs able-bodied...

floppyrod84

Postby searstd0 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:51 am

I can see where pre-loaded maps would be beneficial. Before the moderators yell at me, I do love Waze. I have made tons of my friends add the app because there aren't enough people in my area that use it. There have been many times that my handy dandy Waze app saved me from a speeding ticket. Thank you for that. However, I drive though a lot of areas that have very spotty cell service and when that happens I am 100% screwed when I'm using Waze for directions. I literally had to pull over at and buy a GPS one time because my poor little Waze was just dropping connection and I have zero sense of direction. I love the interactive nature of Waze. I have, of course, created my little driving group and I am a reporting fool. But limited service and limited data plans are out there. Can there be any provisions made? Thanks for listening and keep the wonderful updates coming.
searstd0

Postby RallyChris » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:32 pm

It use to at least cache the whole route when navigating. That was backed off some at some point (they didn't announce it, was just kinda noticed at some point). The best we have gotten is that this was for performance reasons.

My educated guess is to lessen the load on the servers when trying to download all the map tiles.

Once waze has gotten through the infrastructure changes noted in the status.waze.com posts, hopefully they can bring back the ability to cache the whole trip at all zoom levels.

I would love to suggest to waze that they also cache the list of tiles requested, and if it can't be retrieved at the time it was requested, try again later when it can. That way at least on the second trip through an area that can't be routed through (or is off the beaten path) it will already have them loaded.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby queenbenjii » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:35 pm

iseeu1001 wrote:
RallyChris wrote:Unfortunately that is one of the pieces of data Waze is trying to use as monetization. So trust me, that people have been asking for this for a long time. It has not happened yet, so don't expect it in the near future.

So unfortunately, data plan is required for the time being.

Ah since data plan is required I might as well try the navigation for AT&T since they have off line or on line navigation for just $9 a month. Oh an you do know that some people just use the report feature to get points right... you should track those people and ban there accounts or something on dis accurate reporting because I was on vacation from maryland to illinois and I saw a lot of wrong reporting on waze using my brothers in laws android phone on sprint so I made sure it was right I looked on my iphone to and it was the same place same report, But no road work or police when reported even passed 100 miles and yet no cops yet or road work where it was reported.

Waze does deduct points when people report that there is a problem and nothing is there.
queenbenjii

Postby floppyrod84 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:51 am

Since when?

floppyrod84

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:58 am

Yeah. That doesn't happen. Sine those notices are for events that are usually very temporary in nature, the purpose of Not There is so that people can get rid of the notice once the problem is gone.

I'm not drunk...I'm using Tapatalk.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General