can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Postby RallyChris » Fri May 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Unfortunately that is one of the pieces of data Waze is trying to use as monetization. So trust me, that people have been asking for this for a long time. It has not happened yet, so don't expect it in the near future.

So unfortunately, data plan is required for the time being.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby RallyChris » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:32 pm

It use to at least cache the whole route when navigating. That was backed off some at some point (they didn't announce it, was just kinda noticed at some point). The best we have gotten is that this was for performance reasons.

My educated guess is to lessen the load on the servers when trying to download all the map tiles.

Once waze has gotten through the infrastructure changes noted in the status.waze.com posts, hopefully they can bring back the ability to cache the whole trip at all zoom levels.

I would love to suggest to waze that they also cache the list of tiles requested, and if it can't be retrieved at the time it was requested, try again later when it can. That way at least on the second trip through an area that can't be routed through (or is off the beaten path) it will already have them loaded.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Postby rand0m9 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:39 pm

An cached route would be handy. Have run into this issue a few times where I hit a dead zone and then I'm just on a white screen. Hard to argue about it being useful or not. A trip down to new Mexico caused me to learn this lesson the hard way. Waze is my primary gps navigation but I do have a backup Garmin for when I run into this issue. If I could have it set to auto cache my route then I would be thrilled. Someone asked about the data usage. I don't have an exact number for my monthly but my average drive uses a little less than a mb. So I would assume Waze uses roughly 30-50mb a month. If the user has a low data plan I could see how this could be an issue. I do know one of my family members has the 200mb plan on their iPhone and they do not run over their limit while using Waze quite regularly. They do not stream media often at all though. Primarily emails and small amounts of browsing.
rand0m9

Re: Re: Re: can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Postby rand0m9 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:25 am

Borgholio wrote:
TSXyKorova wrote:
I see no point in arguing about it.

// Sent using Tapatalk HD Beta. Please PM me with any issues. //

I see no point in necroing a 7 month old thread...

I don't see the point in letting these threads go dead which just causes people to make a ton of duplicate topics because a previous one got pushed back a few pages and people are too lazy to search.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
rand0m9

Postby rand0m9 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Good to know... Hope they give me the option to cache off cell signal. I rarely enter my route before I am in my car.... Happens the most when I am sitting at the end of the block and way out of wifi range.

rand0m9

Postby rand0m9 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:31 pm

I like it

rand0m9

Postby rapsis » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:25 pm

My data plan is for 200 megs and I have never exceeded it. Though I would like to have offline version as well. When going abroad 1 day of data roaming costs more than my usual monthly payment for data plan. So the only alternative is to buy another gps navigation app. It would cost me less than roaming with waze for 2 weeks.
rapsis

Postby searstd0 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:51 am

I can see where pre-loaded maps would be beneficial. Before the moderators yell at me, I do love Waze. I have made tons of my friends add the app because there aren't enough people in my area that use it. There have been many times that my handy dandy Waze app saved me from a speeding ticket. Thank you for that. However, I drive though a lot of areas that have very spotty cell service and when that happens I am 100% screwed when I'm using Waze for directions. I literally had to pull over at and buy a GPS one time because my poor little Waze was just dropping connection and I have zero sense of direction. I love the interactive nature of Waze. I have, of course, created my little driving group and I am a reporting fool. But limited service and limited data plans are out there. Can there be any provisions made? Thanks for listening and keep the wonderful updates coming.
searstd0

Postby TSXyKorova » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:50 pm

I drove from Raleigh, NC (27606) to Kershaw, SC (29067), and lost T-Mobile coverage on long sections of the trip. For most the second half of my drive, Waze showed a white screen -- no street, no landmarks, nothing. When I pulled over and zoomed out, I found that I'd somehow deviated from my planned course, and Waze never even alerted me. Fail!

Waze has GOT to start caching ahead, and not just the route, but 10 or so miles on each side of the route, in case of detours. Otherwise, Waze is useless to me.
HTC Amaze 4G (Gingerbread 4.0.3) on T-Mobile.
TSXyKorova

Postby TSXyKorova » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:58 pm

Borgholio wrote:Google Nav caches the whole route now, and just recently introduced the feature where you can pre-download maps in a 10-square mile area from any arbitrary point too. If Waze wants to keep competing, it needs something similar.

Google Maps has offered the "pre-cache map tiles" add-on since before I got my Android in December, 2011. I'm not sure it's built-in now, is it?
HTC Amaze 4G (Gingerbread 4.0.3) on T-Mobile.
TSXyKorova

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General