can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Postby RallyChris » Fri May 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Unfortunately that is one of the pieces of data Waze is trying to use as monetization. So trust me, that people have been asking for this for a long time. It has not happened yet, so don't expect it in the near future.

So unfortunately, data plan is required for the time being.
RallyChris

Re: can you please make it so maps are pre loaded?

Postby iseeu1001 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:18 pm

maantje76 wrote:
iseeu1001 wrote:Can you please make it so maps are pre loaded and not using data because I only have a 200 MB cap on my service :( I would get unlimited if it was around but sadly most companys run out of unlimited and AT&t doesn't seem to have it. Please I really like waze it's a good gps but the data consumption please do something bout it thanks...

The idea behind waze is routing based on realtime traffic situation. Without à dataconnection you don't have the profit of that. Also you don't automaticaly provide information for the other Wazers in your area.

But the reports are rarely correct so I don't see the point of reporting :roll: . Can you please make it seperate so I can just use the gps and not all that reporting I will pay 3.99 for an app like that. Except all other apps are more expensive.
iseeu1001

Postby rand0m9 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:39 pm

An cached route would be handy. Have run into this issue a few times where I hit a dead zone and then I'm just on a white screen. Hard to argue about it being useful or not. A trip down to new Mexico caused me to learn this lesson the hard way. Waze is my primary gps navigation but I do have a backup Garmin for when I run into this issue. If I could have it set to auto cache my route then I would be thrilled. Someone asked about the data usage. I don't have an exact number for my monthly but my average drive uses a little less than a mb. So I would assume Waze uses roughly 30-50mb a month. If the user has a low data plan I could see how this could be an issue. I do know one of my family members has the 200mb plan on their iPhone and they do not run over their limit while using Waze quite regularly. They do not stream media often at all though. Primarily emails and small amounts of browsing.
rand0m9

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:58 am

Yeah. That doesn't happen. Sine those notices are for events that are usually very temporary in nature, the purpose of Not There is so that people can get rid of the notice once the problem is gone.

I'm not drunk...I'm using Tapatalk.
jasonh300

Postby gettingthere » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:56 am

I suggest you use Waze more before proclaiming the product is crippled by not having a manual method to pre load maps.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby maantje76 » Sun May 13, 2012 11:12 am

Planning à known route without dataconnection can also work if the tiles are in cache. Because of datacompression is not working for me (why? I don't know), I sometimes deside to switch of dataconnection if I cross a border. You can calculate the route if you did it before...

Only plan à route without precache the tiles won't work (for me). They load during your trip. Maybe the highest zoomlevel?...
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby maantje76 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:34 am

And you have lots of zoomlevels, so it's not simple scrolling...

Every week the maptiles getting automaticaly refreshed. The tiles your route is crossing are also refreshed during driving, so you have to switch of your internet connection to prevent that!
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby maantje76 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:03 pm

iseeu1001 wrote:Can you please make it so maps are pre loaded and not using data because I only have a 200 MB cap on my service :( I would get unlimited if it was around but sadly most companys run out of unlimited and AT&t doesn't seem to have it. Please I really like waze it's a good gps but the data consumption please do something bout it thanks...

The idea behind waze is routing based on realtime traffic situation. Without à dataconnection you don't have the profit of that. Also you don't automaticaly provide information for the other Wazers in your area.
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby iseeu1001 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Can you please make it so maps are pre loaded and not using data because I only have a 200 MB cap on my service :( I don't want to pay extra $15 for every time I go over :( I would get unlimited if it was around but sadly most companys run out of unlimited and AT&t doesn't seem to have it. Please I really like waze it's a good gps but the data consumption please do something bout it thanks...
iseeu1001

Previous

Return to Website, Community, General