Security and False reporting

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Security and False reporting

Postby neon-samurai » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:29 am

but no one can actually do this without first driving on the road right (like they cant use the map editor to do this randomly can they?)

Guess im worried about the assholes who may do this. I love the idea of a community driven app such as this, that even adds an extra dimention to travel and navigation.. i just dont want it screwed up by some guy thinking he's funny (espically when people may be using this to navigate to work etc)
neon-samurai

Postby neon-samurai » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:14 am

OK cool, so it sounds like there is something in place to prevent too much messing about with the maps :)
neon-samurai

Postby neon-samurai » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Im really liking waze and its concept, even though my area isnt very populated with waze users. So far this is the only drawback i can see, users being silly (the few bad apples) and frustrating the regular decent waze community.

Shame they cant use google maps (due to terms of service violations) to keep maps mostly accurate (not sure if they can use openmaps or not though http://www.openstreetmap.org/ .. some other gps systems are using this).

Seems like a solution would be to have some sort of base map, and users can make changes over the top, so that both user annoted data and original data can be displayed at the same time. Maybe this would allow people to see what officially exists, and what users recommend/suggest.
neon-samurai

Postby Seandrea » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:44 am

image (2).gif
Looks like traffic building, wonder what it is?
image (2).gif (23.5 KiB) Viewed 242 times
image (1).gif
Holy road batman, look at that pothole!
image (1).gif (31.39 KiB) Viewed 242 times
I've been a Wazer for 3 months & use it all the time. Recently I noticed how minor accident reports increased greatly. I started to monitor them. An 'anonymous' user (joined 50 days ago) was responsible for all reports in the same region. Very frustrating as we should be able to rely on this info being as accurate as possible. Didn't know his user name / nick name at first but looks like he just slipped up. Either an update or his absent mindedness resulted in him revealing himself.
I sent him a message something like:
Plz let me no where & wen you're driving so I know where to avoid. You really do have some bad luck coming across so many accidents! I drive 400 - 500 miles per week & in 3 months have only seen ONE! You seem to come across them many times every day.

Usual posts in quick succession are:
Moderate traffic. Heavy traffic, Minor Accident. Object in road. Police (visible), Car on shoulder Often doubled up by re-reporting for 'other lane'! He's now moved on to Potholes!
Reports are rarely verified by others or Waze app itself, although I note he has at least TWO user names & often 'thanks' his own reports?? He's created 3 new groups, all of which have only 1 member... HIM.

DON'T MISS - THE NEXT EXCITING EPISODE OF..... 'Fullocrap' IN A FOLLOW-UP TO THIS POST!

It's time these idiots were booted off so the app could be used as intended. Out of curiousity, I just logged in to Waze & wasn't surprised to see he'd just witnessed another minor accident, probably caused by the 'Pothole' he reported! Not to worry, it appears the POLICE are at the scene, although it's caused quite a tailback of heavy traffic.... none of whom are Wazers, and the app itself doesn't appear to have detected a 'Slowdown'.
Seandrea

Postby Seandrea » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:57 am

EPISODE TWO:
image.gif
Look Robin, a car stopped dangerously on the shoulder thats causing a major hazard. We'll employ the bat hazard remover...
image.gif (34.16 KiB) Viewed 240 times
image (4).gif
Holy hazard oh victim of holy road hazard. Looks like a minor accident!
image (4).gif (26.97 KiB) Viewed 240 times

What are we to do batman? Who can be responsible for all this mayhem?

FIND OUT SOON!
Seandrea

Postby Seandrea » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:11 am

CONCLUSION:

image (3).gif
Crisis over commissioner.... the police are in attendance.... they're visible over there...looks like they were lucky enough to be here when the collision occured!
image (3).gif (26.31 KiB) Viewed 238 times
image (5).gif
.... and we have the culprit. He'll be spending a few check-ins at gotham city penetentiary!
image (5).gif (36.01 KiB) Viewed 238 times

Yes... we have you now where you cant do any more tomfoolery and the world is saved.

...... or is it? Could steven-birkin be the very same alias user Steve Birkin, also from West Yorkshire, driving the same routes on the same roads, having the same bad luck, getting stuck in traffic 4 or 5 times a day & all because of minor accidents, caused by various hazards, obviously put there by the Police who are always in the right place at the right time?

Surely not, not even the cunningest of master reporters would do that.

THE END
Seandrea

Postby Seandrea » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:04 am

:D

That was quick. Anyway, I thought I WAS reporting to waze by emailing an agent in the support section. If that too wasn't what I do, please tell me how exactly I report it to waze.

Thanks

BTW: The only narcotic vice I have is caffeine & I don't think I've read a comic for 35 years! However, I did find myself glued to an original episode of batman on TV recently.... OKAY! You win... it made me late for work! :oops:
Seandrea

Postby xteejx » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Before it goes live? I'm not sure the auto problem reports are updated that frequently...

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
xteejx

Postby xteejx » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:11 pm

Probably you buggers stealing our CPU time ;-)

We have some issues here with one or two specific users editing user A, stupidly and user B, destructively. Both messaged, user A stopped editing, user B continues to F things up, and despite contacting Waze 3 times (4 different MegaEditors here have problems with him), they seem unwilling or unable to do anything except to say "let us know if it continues". Well I have a few times, when are we going to see results?
Hate to say it, but you know how protective we all get, but when it's seemingly on purpose and the company do nothing, it doesn't bode well for them or us and is extremely disheartening after putting so much time and effort into it.

xteejx

Postby xteejx » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:55 pm

You need to look at the UK, Netherlands and Brazil. All have a base map.

xteejx

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General