Security and False reporting

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Security and False reporting

Postby gettingthere » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:04 pm

neon-samurai wrote:Im really liking waze and its concept, even though my area isnt very populated with waze users. So far this is the only drawback i can see, users being silly (the few bad apples) and frustrating the regular decent waze community.

Shame they cant use google maps (due to terms of service violations) to keep maps mostly accurate (not sure if they can use openmaps or not though http://www.openstreetmap.org/ .. some other gps systems are using this).

Google Maps are OSM edited by the end users also, although via moderation or some other 'security' features. These same issues can occur with Google Maps and OSM.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:55 pm

You need to look at the UK, Netherlands and Brazil. All have a base map.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby neon-samurai » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Im really liking waze and its concept, even though my area isnt very populated with waze users. So far this is the only drawback i can see, users being silly (the few bad apples) and frustrating the regular decent waze community.

Shame they cant use google maps (due to terms of service violations) to keep maps mostly accurate (not sure if they can use openmaps or not though http://www.openstreetmap.org/ .. some other gps systems are using this).

Seems like a solution would be to have some sort of base map, and users can make changes over the top, so that both user annoted data and original data can be displayed at the same time. Maybe this would allow people to see what officially exists, and what users recommend/suggest.
neon-samurai

Postby floppyrod84 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:11 pm

Probably you buggers stealing our CPU time ;-)

We have some issues here with one or two specific users editing user A, stupidly and user B, destructively. Both messaged, user A stopped editing, user B continues to F things up, and despite contacting Waze 3 times (4 different MegaEditors here have problems with him), they seem unwilling or unable to do anything except to say "let us know if it continues". Well I have a few times, when are we going to see results?
Hate to say it, but you know how protective we all get, but when it's seemingly on purpose and the company do nothing, it doesn't bode well for them or us and is extremely disheartening after putting so much time and effort into it.

floppyrod84

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:20 pm

xteejx wrote:Before it goes live? I'm not sure the auto problem reports are updated that frequently...

I've seen Map Problems come up before the changes go live. I saw it a lot a few months back when the updates were only coming every 30 days or more. I was able to catch a few things that a new inexperienced editor did before they ever hit the client maps.
jasonh300

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:45 pm

It is also unlikely that Waze will implement much of a solution before there is a problem. The plans they have for more granular and street-importance-based permissions are a step in the right direction. They are, at the moment, just plans.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:39 pm

The map and routes are subject to editing problems and vandalism. There are few protections against this. We have been lucky so far that there have not been widespread issues. This is surely a negative of using a navigation solution that is based on community map updates.

I suspect that if we start to have more problems Waze will be forced to implement a better system to protect the map. They tend to wait until things become a problem before taking action.

The challenge for Waze is how to protect the map but not to prevent community map editors with good intentions from contributing.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:15 pm

I don't know if they are reliably that frequent. But many times the MPs show up the day after I have made an edit based on GPS data that is half a year old.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Before it goes live? I'm not sure the auto problem reports are updated that frequently...

floppyrod84

Postby neon-samurai » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:14 am

OK cool, so it sounds like there is something in place to prevent too much messing about with the maps :)
neon-samurai

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General