Security and False reporting

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Security and False reporting

Postby Daknife » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:10 am

Actually the system will protect against this, maybe not by design but it works.

In my area we have a section of interstate undergoing a major rebuild, two weeks ago a rather heavily trafficked interchange was closed for a six week period. In anticipation of the closure I disconnected the ramps and the cut the road under the freeway (as that section of road is also closed) and did it timed for an update to have the closure go active a couple days after the interchange closed. From the time I made the edit until the interchange closed and a couple days afterwards I was seeing multiple UR's from the system because the roads were not connected yet traffic was flowing through the disconnects.

Thus the protection. Someone could try to be a joker or a jerk, but if any editors are paying attention to the area, they'll see UR's popping up almost as soon as the edits are made, and thus will most likely be able to fix the problem before it goes live.
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby neon-samurai » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:29 am

but no one can actually do this without first driving on the road right (like they cant use the map editor to do this randomly can they?)

Guess im worried about the assholes who may do this. I love the idea of a community driven app such as this, that even adds an extra dimention to travel and navigation.. i just dont want it screwed up by some guy thinking he's funny (espically when people may be using this to navigate to work etc)
neon-samurai

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:40 am

It is possible for someone to go through and close roads, or worse, flat-out delete roads like crazy if they want. There are enough users who aren't assholes, who would notice, call attention to it, and Waze could revoke that other user's privileges. It's not nearly a perfect system.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Security and False reporting

Postby Kuhlkatz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:44 am

xteejx wrote:Ermm...not only is this an old thread

Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread with a brand new plot.
It didn't pan out too bad for Rocky, Rambo or the Harry Potter 'franchises'. ;)
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Previous

Return to Website, Community, General