Sound to Speaker / Bluetooth?

Moderator: Unholy

Postby thebackroad » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm trying to figure out how the "sound to speaker" function works.

Using an Android (Galaxy S3) if I have checked the "Route Sound to Speaker" button and if the phone is communicating with my bluetooth radio will the navigation info "punch through" whatever is playing on the radio? Or is this a radio-dependent issue?

Does it matter what input the radio is set for? The choices are:
- Tuner (the usual as I am an NPR junkie)
- Aux "(which might be what I need but I thought that was just for a mini-plug connector if you're using one)
- USB (I could connect to the Android via USB but I'm usually charging my phone via the 12 volt socket
- XM Tuner

I fear that unless I am set to Aux I'll not hear the navigation. But if so what is the Bluetooth doing for me (other than answering phone calls).

This may be as much an Android question as a Waze query but who knows, maybe someone has the answer.

Thanks.
thebackroad

Postby Migueis » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:13 pm

That function is amazing.
If you are listening radio de Voice allways Play. Even if the radio it's turned OFF.
It works like a phone call.
Waze 3.2.2.0 • iPhone w/iOS6 • Enthusiastic Wazer! @ Esposende
Migueis

Re: Sound to Speaker / Bluetooth?

Postby iamborg » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:32 pm

I also have the sgs3 and originally had the "route to speaker" checked.
because I had my headphone jack plugged into the car stereo where i was streaming music.
i wanted waze to come out the phone speaker, while the streaming music routed out the headphone jack. this did NOT work.
no audio came out of the speaker, both waze and streaming app came out the headphone jack.

BUT i found out that having this set this way, every time waze would speak, it would cause my streaming app to stop streaming, and i had to restart the streaming app, which was very annoying on a long drive.

so i turned off/unchecked the route to speaker option and still waze and the streaming app would go out the headphone jack over the car's radio, however this time, the streaming app was NOT stopped or affected. so while this wasn't ideal, it did work and i was no longer annoyed by waze.
iamborg

Postby EricRFMA » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:00 am

Hello all...

i have a related question, also with an S3 and the abominable Ford Sync System.

I tried selecting "Route sound to speaker" while the phone was paired with the car, and then I heard nothing at all from Waze. When I unchecked "Route sound to speaker" I still couldn't hear any of the voice nav from Waze. I tried various things in the Sync settings such as Bluetooth Streaming on/off and still no voice nav from Waze.

Now that I'm away from the car, Waze is talking to me again, but I fear when I approach the car again, it'll lose its voice.

Also, what exactly does "Route sound to speaker" mean? Does it mean the S3's speaker? The bluetooth connected device? If it's not routing sound to the speaker, where is it supposed to go?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

-Eric
EricRFMA

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Eric, speaker is the phone speaker. Otherwise, waze will use BT streaming (Sync phrase). If "Prefer BT" is selected, then it will use the BT phone style connection and interrupt any playing audio on the car stereo just like a phone call does.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby EricRFMA » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:35 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Eric, speaker is the phone speaker. Otherwise, waze will use BT streaming (Sync phrase). If "Prefer BT" is selected, then it will use the BT phone style connection and interrupt any playing audio on the car stereo just like a phone call does.

Thanks for your reply Alan!

Just a couple of things: First, I couldn't find the "Prefer BT" option. In the "Sound" settings there's only "Route sound to speaker" and a "Prompts volume" control. Second, by default "Route sound to speaker" is not selected, and the prompts come through the phone speaker anyway. When I did select "Route sound to speaker", that's when I lost all sound from the prompts.

I'm fully ready to blame the Sync system for this, or myself ;) Do you have any idea if I would need to set anything in the Sync system, other than pairing the phone with it (which it is?) I can make/receive phone calls through Sync no problem. If I select "Bluetooth Streaming" on the Sync, then it assumes that's how I'm playing music through it and so can't listen to what I really want to listen to. Other possibly helpful tidbits: In the Bluetooth settings, I have both "Call audio" and "Media audio" checked. I have Waze 3.2.2.2 on a Samsung Galaxy S3, Android version 4.0.1.

Thanks again for your help!

-Eric
EricRFMA

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:14 pm

EricRFMA wrote:Thanks for your reply Alan!

Certainly! I drive a Fusion, so have figured out most of this, I think. There are issues with app/iOS which muddy the situation. Here's some info/tidbits, hopefully helpful stuffz:

1. iOS only allows the phone to output sound via one method at a time. Each output type (speaker, headphone, BT, dock) has its own volume setting iOS stores.
2. Make sure your phone and Sync and paired and that BT is enabled on both
3. Waze should have "Always output to speaker" and "Prefer bluetooth" options under Device/Prompts volume sliders. These two options are mutually exclusive. You cannot turn both on at the same time.
4. Waze's "device volume" doesn't update when another app changes the volume when Waze isn't running for the selected output method. Therefore, the speaker volume could be set very low or near zero and the device volume slider may not show that. The only way to adjust the audio up within Waze is to have Waze play a sound, such as activating voice commands, and while the sound is playing use the volume+ button to increase the volume.
5. When both "speaker" and "prefer BT" are off, Waze will use whatever output was last used, or whatever output is currently in use by another audio-outputting app like Music, Pandora, etc. In this mode, iOS will fade the other audio app output and allow Waze to overlay the other audio program. This will happen even if the other app is outputting to the speaker.
6. When "speaker" output is selected, iOS will force any app currently playing audio to stop playback and then play the Waze sound outputs. This will happen even if the other app is using the speaker.
7. When the iPhone is outputting audio/music to Sync, this is almost always via bluetooth streaming, but could be via the dock connector.
8. Dock connector, Waze, and iOS do not play well at all together. Long-term user Shorty-CM from BC, Canada, has been diligent in documenting issues with each beta release of the app.
9. "Prefer bluetooth" will send Waze sounds through the bluetooth "headset" mode (whatever that's called, I forget), which will make Sync see this as an incoming call, which will interrupt whatever audio is currently playing on the car stereo. This option also allows giving voice commands to Waze via a bluetooth headset or Sync.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby EricRFMA » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Wow, Alan! That's a mouthful!

Just want to check one thing... you're citing iOS, but I have an Android phone... how might that effect you answers!

Thanks again!

-Eric
EricRFMA

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:07 pm

EricRFMA wrote:Just want to check one thing... you're citing iOS, but I have an Android phone... how might that effect you answers!

Aw, crap. :roll: Um, so a lot of it should apply, but I am not sure of the OS-level portion and how that affects it. I'm sorry, I knew that from your initial post, but somehow, went off on my tangent anyway. For example, I don't know why you wouldn't have the "prefer bluetooth" option in Sound settings.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby EricRFMA » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Well, I suppose if "Route to speaker" and "Prefer BT" are mutually exclusive then, technically, you only need one.

I'll have a closer look at your comments when I have a chance. I'm sure there's some crossover between platforms. In fact, I've gotten bitten by the volume one you mention. I think. There are a few volume sliders in the Android settings->Sound panel, and Waze has its own. I had the "main" volume down at one point, and Waze was quite audible, but on another occasion it wasn't until I turned up the "main" volume.

Very confusing!

Thanks again for your help... if it doesn't apply to me directly, I'm sure it will help some iOS user with the same question(s!)

-Eric
EricRFMA

Next

Return to Website, Community, General