Sound to Speaker / Bluetooth?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Sound to Speaker / Bluetooth?

Postby girevikkb » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:11 pm

Nacron wrote:The only way for sound to come out of you car stereo from Waze (on Android anyway) is to have it as your Bluetooth media option on the car stereo. You cannot have Waze interrupt radio or CD operation on your car stereo. You either have to live with having the navigation directions come out of the phone's loudspeaker or streaming music from your phone with the Waze audio playing with it.

I would love to get the directions from the phone's speaker. I don't get them at all when it's connected to BT, regadless of how I configure the sound settings in Waze.
girevikkb

Postby girevikkb » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I'm having similar problems. I just got a car with bluetooth, and ever since I did I've lost my directions. I've tried the 'route to speakers' option both ways, and I never hear the guidance.

Like serveral folks in the thread, I have a Galaxy S3. Has anyone found how to configure it to get the sounds from Waze?
girevikkb

Postby gerben » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Isn't the Prefer BT an iOS only option?
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben

Postby EricRFMA » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:53 am

From some mucking around today, I've discovered the following... I think... it got confusing.

If "Media Audio" is set to "on" for the Bluetooth device (Sync) in the system Settings, then sound will come through the sync system if the Sync system is set to Bluetooth Streaming. If it's set to Bluetooth Streaming it doesn't play anything other than what's coming in through Bluetooth, which means no playing the radio, CD, anything else. It doesn't matter what the Waze "Route sound to speaker" setting is.

So, so far, I haven't found the necessary voodoo spell to get Waze voice nav to interrupt what's playing through the Sync system, like a phone call would. Maybe the Android version is awaiting the "Prefer BT" option? For now, it's all through the Samsung's speaker.

Stay tuned to this channel for more late-breaking developments as they happen...
EricRFMA

Postby EricRFMA » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Well, I suppose if "Route to speaker" and "Prefer BT" are mutually exclusive then, technically, you only need one.

I'll have a closer look at your comments when I have a chance. I'm sure there's some crossover between platforms. In fact, I've gotten bitten by the volume one you mention. I think. There are a few volume sliders in the Android settings->Sound panel, and Waze has its own. I had the "main" volume down at one point, and Waze was quite audible, but on another occasion it wasn't until I turned up the "main" volume.

Very confusing!

Thanks again for your help... if it doesn't apply to me directly, I'm sure it will help some iOS user with the same question(s!)

-Eric
EricRFMA

Postby EricRFMA » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Wow, Alan! That's a mouthful!

Just want to check one thing... you're citing iOS, but I have an Android phone... how might that effect you answers!

Thanks again!

-Eric
EricRFMA

Postby EricRFMA » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:35 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Eric, speaker is the phone speaker. Otherwise, waze will use BT streaming (Sync phrase). If "Prefer BT" is selected, then it will use the BT phone style connection and interrupt any playing audio on the car stereo just like a phone call does.

Thanks for your reply Alan!

Just a couple of things: First, I couldn't find the "Prefer BT" option. In the "Sound" settings there's only "Route sound to speaker" and a "Prompts volume" control. Second, by default "Route sound to speaker" is not selected, and the prompts come through the phone speaker anyway. When I did select "Route sound to speaker", that's when I lost all sound from the prompts.

I'm fully ready to blame the Sync system for this, or myself ;) Do you have any idea if I would need to set anything in the Sync system, other than pairing the phone with it (which it is?) I can make/receive phone calls through Sync no problem. If I select "Bluetooth Streaming" on the Sync, then it assumes that's how I'm playing music through it and so can't listen to what I really want to listen to. Other possibly helpful tidbits: In the Bluetooth settings, I have both "Call audio" and "Media audio" checked. I have Waze 3.2.2.2 on a Samsung Galaxy S3, Android version 4.0.1.

Thanks again for your help!

-Eric
EricRFMA

Postby EricRFMA » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:00 am

Hello all...

i have a related question, also with an S3 and the abominable Ford Sync System.

I tried selecting "Route sound to speaker" while the phone was paired with the car, and then I heard nothing at all from Waze. When I unchecked "Route sound to speaker" I still couldn't hear any of the voice nav from Waze. I tried various things in the Sync settings such as Bluetooth Streaming on/off and still no voice nav from Waze.

Now that I'm away from the car, Waze is talking to me again, but I fear when I approach the car again, it'll lose its voice.

Also, what exactly does "Route sound to speaker" mean? Does it mean the S3's speaker? The bluetooth connected device? If it's not routing sound to the speaker, where is it supposed to go?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

-Eric
EricRFMA

Postby DrGBH » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:35 pm

I have had a similar problem. I found that directions would play through the phone speaker when 'prefer bluetooth' was checked. However when I set both 'play sound to phone speaker' AND 'prefer bluetooth' OFF, the sound is routed to the bluetooth speaker. Odd!
DrGBH

Postby CharlesNakar » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:53 pm

I initially thought it was my car causing the problem but after reading the posts I understand it is likely Waze that has as issue. In my 2015 CRV only in the last few months whenever I try to use Waze via Bluetooth there is no sound and I am being asked by the car system if I would like to transfer the call but what ever I am doing I cannot make the Bluetooth to work with Waze. Funny is the fact that when I am in a middle of a phone call, Waze sounds loud and clear through Bluetooth which is very irritating because is is so loud you cannot continue the phone call.
Please advise
Charles
CharlesNakar

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General