No GPS

Moderator: Unholy

Re: No GPS

Postby TenorDriver » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:53 am

I have the same problem. always 'no gps'. I will delete the app. It is useless. Too bad, it worked well for awhile.
TenorDriver

Postby whatever2015 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:45 pm

hi,
when i have gps problems, i ran gps doctor and it fixes it.
you may want to see if there is an equivalent program that is free if you just want to experiment.

if you do run gps doctor though, try to do it when at home or in the morning, because once you run it, it will take a few minutes for your gps software to get a fix. but it fixes my gps problems 98% of the time.
whatever2015

Postby wine4sure » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:46 pm

I never used to get this (I have the same phone, IOS and so on) but now I increasingly do.

Some journeys it doesn't happen at all, others I'm plagued by it.

Sometimes just leaving it alone is all I have to do and it fixes itself. Other times powering off the phone and on again kind of helps for a while.

I also quite often lose GPS lock when I turn a corner. This is when the view will change to different satellites, I assume.

I just assumed that it's because the GPS in the iPhone 3GS is a bit rubbish, and my phone is getting old.

I think comparing with Google maps can be a bit misleading because that also uses WiFi and 3GS signals, whereas I don't know if Waze does that?
wine4sure

Postby wine4sure » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:55 pm

Follow-up: I'm pretty sure it's dodgy hardware on my iPhone because:

a) Today I went into Google maps and that also was stuck in the same (wrong) location.

b) I've just remembered that it gets worse, the hotter the phone is.

You can of course use an external Bluetooth GPS receiver. This sounds inconvenient, but presumably you can leave it permanently in your car and powered on, and just continue to use the smartphone as usual, once it's configured to use the Bluetooth GPS (how on earth you do that I have no idea).
wine4sure

Previous

Return to Website, Community, General