Voice Alerts

Moderator: Unholy

Voice Alerts

Postby MukErik » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:00 pm

The Waze User Guide explains that I must be in navigation mode to receive voice alerts. Is there a way to enter navigation mode without setting a destination? I do not want to have to set a destination every time I head somewhere but I would like to receive voice alerts. I also do not neet turn-by-turn directions when I am going somewhere familiar. I just want the alerts.

Thanks
MukErik

Voice Alerts

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:22 pm

An additional purpose for the turn by turn when traveling to a familiar destination is to get you there the fastest way. I navigate to work every day, although I'm familiar with the route because it may take me any of three different routes depending on traffic. That's why Waze is a commuters app, rather than a travel app.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana or Mississippi Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Voice Alerts

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:15 am

Navigation mode means, by definition of the phrase, means you have input a destination. Set the destination, then mute the turn-by-turn from the main menu mute/speaker icon. You should still get all other alerts, and Waze will also suggest different routes based on traffic conditions, which it cannot do if you don't have a route because it doesn't know where you're going.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby MukErik » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:57 am

Thank you for the reply. Muting the turn-by turn directions does give me an option I had not considered.

Erik
MukErik

Postby shahryarrizvi » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:02 pm

I wish Waze always alerted you of speed cameras regardless of if you are in a navigation mode or not,regardless of your speed.
iPhone 5 with Sprint
2013 Acura RDX w/ Tech, 2007 Accord I4 w/ Navi
DC/Baltimore
shahryarrizvi

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:09 pm

shahryarrizvi wrote:I wish Waze always alerted you of speed cameras regardless of if you are in a navigation mode or not,regardless of your speed.

It does. Sometimes when you're just in a parking lot nearby, too. Quite annoying.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby rottielover » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:29 pm

In my mind the #1 reason to always tell Waze where you are going, is the auto-routing you around traffic or accidents.

Real World Example: I was on a major interstate I use everyday. A fellow wazer dropped an accident report pin where the accident happened. I drive this route home every single day. Anyway Waze alerted me with "Accident reported ahead, Exit right", so I decided to listen. I followed Waze and it routed me up a side rode I and then back to a highway on ramp a couple miles farther along.

I later turned on the local news and found out that the entire highway had to be shutdown for 2 hours to allow the Hwy Patrol to reconstruct the accident. Waze not only saved me 2 hours of time, it saved me $50 in baby sitting fee's because I was NOT late to pickup my daughter from daycare!

THANKS WAZE!

(This was the incident that caused me to get interested in map editing. I watched all the video's and read the Wiki and forums.)

Happy Wazing!
rottielover
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby nqjoe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:16 pm

rottielover wrote:In my mind the #1 reason to always tell Waze where you are going, is the auto-routing you around traffic or accidents.

Real World Example: I was on a major interstate I use everyday. A fellow wazer dropped an accident report pin where the accident happened. I drive this route home every single day. Anyway Waze alerted me with "Accident reported ahead, Exit right", so I decided to listen. I followed Waze and it routed me up a side rode I and then back to a highway on ramp a couple miles farther along.

I later turned on the local news and found out that the entire highway had to be shutdown for 2 hours to allow the Hwy Patrol to reconstruct the accident. Waze not only saved me 2 hours of time, it saved me $50 in baby sitting fee's because I was NOT late to pickup my daughter from daycare!

THANKS WAZE!

(This was the incident that caused me to get interested in map editing. I watched all the video's and read the Wiki and forums.)

Happy Wazing!

Now that story kind of inspired me to contribute more to other wazers! Thanks :D
nqjoe

Return to Website, Community, General