Waze on WP8

Moderator: Unholy

Waze on WP8

Postby top_gun_de » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Afaik, Google Maps were never licensed for Waze-editing?

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD
AM Region Hannover, CM Deutschland (Germany), Coordinator Germany, Global Champ

Wiki Deutschland | Straßen und Orte benennen D | Karte bearbeiten | Editorbedienung
top_gun_de
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Waze on WP8

Postby dmcconachie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:03 pm

top_gun_de wrote:Afaik, Google Maps were never licensed for Waze-editing?

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

The aerials before the switch to Bing were Google aerials, albeit dated ones.

via tapatalk
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Re: Waze on WP8

Postby Froggypwns » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:03 am

I too would love to have Waze on Windows 8/RT. I picked up a Surface tablet last month and the only time I still use my Android tablets is for Waze. Oh well my phone still runs Windows Mobile 6 so I can still Waze on that for now.
Froggypwns
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Spontbox » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Can anybody from inside tell us if there are plans for windows phone 8 client? or maybe as a developer I can help with it and create a client using some public API?
Spontbox

Postby minivini » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Was unsure whether to start a new thread, or add here.
Just want to add another request/plea for Waze on WP8. About to switch from iPhone 4 to Lumia 920 and this is also one of my big ones. I figure the more of us post, the more we show a rice interest which will hopefully get the ball rolling faster. I've used Nokia Drive and it's ok for very basic Nav, but it's not intuitive and it lacks the lie traffic etc that we've all grown accustomed to with Waze

Please Waze team - WP8? Give us an official update?? Throw us a bone?? Is this a non-starter or something that is being actively pursued?
minivini

Postby gettingthere » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:22 am

Waze stated previously that it had no plans to develop for Windows Phone 7. You can assume it's currently the same situation for Windows Phone 8.

Everything I have seen regarding SmartPhone market share and sales shows that Windows Phone has not been making any significant gains. It's currently a two horse race Android and iOS. All other platforms are currently insignificant.

Gartner's data published in November 2012 shows Microsoft Windows Phone at 2.4% of 3rd Quarter 2012 Worldwide sales. I have not seen specific data yet for Windows Phone 8 but I have not seen much of anything in the news stating that Windows Phone 8 devices are being sold in high volumes. http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=2237315

Per Gartner's data linked above, Android and iOS are 86.3% of 3rd Quarter 2012 sales. If you had limited resources and have to pay developers to develop software are you going to develop for the operating system with 72.4% of sales or 2.4% of sales?

Until Windows Phone 8 has a significant market share (I am thinking >10%) Waze shouldn't even consider it. Starting with Waze 3, the Waze application is developed as a native app to both the Android and iOS platforms. It's no longer some common code that is ported to each platform.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Froggypwns » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Per Gartner's data linked above, Android and iOS are 86.3% of 3rd Quarter 2012 sales. If you had limited resources and have to pay developers to develop software are you going to develop for the operating system with 72.4% of sales or 2.4% of sales?

Well given that not a single Win8 Phone existed in the third quarter, this data is useless. The Windows phones shown in those stats are all the old Win7 phones. Now that there are millions of Windows 8 devices including tablets, laptops, and phones out there, it makes sense to start looking into a Metro Waze client.
Froggypwns
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby OldGnome » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:46 pm

Froggypwns wrote:Now that there are millions of Windows 8 devices including tablets, laptops, and phones out there

What is the source of your data?
OldGnome

Waze on WP8

Postby xyes » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:18 am

i believe it's a mere speculation of how many Lumia 920/820 & HTC 8X/8S have been sold. being conventionally 2.x% of market share for WP7 & if the reports of sold-outs are true because of its popularity (unlikely, due to some Nokia stronghold markets like Singapore & HongKong have plenty of stocks), it could be well over a million by now since most of them only sold before X'mas.
http://bgr.com/2012/12/19/nokia-lumia-9 ... sis-259684
http://bgr.com/2012/12/04/mobile-market ... 12-android
http://bgr.com/2013/01/02/android-ios-a ... 012-279464

isn't BB version already available even though it's not even 5% of the market? i don't think Waze would need to wait for 10% market share but rather once it's doubled, the significance of WP client is worth developing for... ::fingers-crossed:: i really wanna get rid of my old Android since Lumia 920 will be my main phone & Waze is the only reason i keep that old Android (just to contribute to the traffic info, GPS on Android phones are slower than Nokia somehow) or I should tether my PV808 with Waze although Nokia Drive is still preferred for navigation.
xyes

Postby Arfy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:17 pm

I really miss Waze since I am on Windows Phone (7 on my HTC Titan) ...

I hope for a (near) future ...

Regards,
Arfy
Arfy

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General