Waze on WP8

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Waze on WP8

Postby OldGnome » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:49 pm

xyes wrote:isn't BB version already available even though it's not even 5% of the market?

From what I have read around here, I don't think Waze is continuing to develop for the BB platform.
OldGnome

Postby tbofram » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:45 pm

I would really love to use waze on my new WP8 (htc windows phone 8s)

I loved it on my android phone but as wp8 looks so much nicer im sure waze would work and look great on this.

Hopefully sometime during my 2 year phone contract i will be using waze
tbofram

Postby gettingthere » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:08 pm

OldGnome wrote:
xyes wrote:isn't BB version already available even though it's not even 5% of the market?

From what I have read around here, I don't think Waze is continuing to develop for the BB platform.

That is correct, the only active platforms that Waze is developing for is Android and iOS. The legacy 2.x Waze clients are still available for download for Windows Mobile, BlackBerry and Symbian. Obviously the legacy clients are limited in features vs. the current client.

Waze did a re-write of the application to be native to both Android and iOS with version 3. The legacy versions of Waze were written on a common platform and ported to each OS.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Froggypwns » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:56 pm

OldGnome wrote:
Froggypwns wrote:Now that there are millions of Windows 8 devices including tablets, laptops, and phones out there

What is the source of your data?

Right from Microsoft. They sold 40 million licences in the first month alone.
Froggypwns
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby gettingthere » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Froggypwns wrote:Right from Microsoft. They sold 40 million licences in the first month alone.

You are mixing the data with Windows 8 Operating systems for Personal Computers. Microsoft does not sell Windows 8 SmartPhone operating systems. They are provided to their OEM partners such as Nokia, Samsung, HTC, etc. to install on their SmartPhones.

This thread is discussing a version of Waze specifically for Windows Phone 8.

It has not been a target market of Waze to have versions of the application for Desktop and Laptop computers. In addition, the Microsoft Surface Tablet which runs Windows RT (a version of Windows 8 for ARM processors that does not run Windows Applications) could in theory run a Waze Windows 8 Store Apps (previously called Metro Apps). But the Surface hardware doesn't have a GPS so that would be of little use.

Unfortunately Microsoft is confusing the heck out of consumers by calling multiple versions of their OS, designed specifically for different hardware types, Windows 8.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Froggypwns » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 am

I'm not confusing anything, I have two desktops running Windows 8, a 12" Asus tablet with Windows 8 Pro, and a Microsoft Surface Running Windows 8 RT, and I will be getting a Nokia 920 running Windows Phone 8. What do they all have in common? They all can run the same Metro apps. I have a USB GPS unit on my Surface and it lets me use the Bing maps app while I am on the go, but I would love to use Waze on it instead.
Froggypwns
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby petervdveen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:31 pm

Froggypwns wrote:I'm not confusing anything, I have two desktops running Windows 8, a 12" Asus tablet with Windows 8 Pro, and a Microsoft Surface Running Windows 8 RT, and I will be getting a Nokia 920 running Windows Phone 8. What do they all have in common? They all can run the same Metro apps. I have a USB GPS unit on my Surface and it lets me use the Bing maps app while I am on the go, but I would love to use Waze on it instead.

Waze is made for phones, not for laptops and desktops.
Besides, I don't think all apps are standard compatible with all windows 8 versions?
WP8, Windows RT, windows x64
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Froggypwns » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:00 pm

petervdveen wrote:Waze is made for phones, not for laptops and desktops.
Besides, I don't think all apps are standard compatible with all windows 8 versions?
WP8, Windows RT, windows x64

The way things are heading, other than size there will be no distinction between laptop, desktop, and phone.

Windows 8 "metro" apps are cross compatible between WP8, RT, and x86 and x64 versions. The API is the same, the only changes that need to be made are to accommodate screen usage, and from what I've seen most of the devs get it right the first time and most apps work equally as good on WP8 as they do on my x64 work desktop and my Surface RT tablet. There are even rumors that the next Xbox will be using the same APIs so you could say download Cut The Rope on your desktop, phone, and Xbox, but I really can't see how Waze would be used on that one though.
Froggypwns
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby petervdveen » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:20 pm

I don't think waze wants to use the metro (windows 8) design.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby jeffro02 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 pm

I too doubt Waze will consider developing for WP8 until the market share is higher. Tough to warrant throwing money at a tiny market. That being said, I really hope a Waze client is developed soon! It is one of the few things I miss on my Lumia 920 from my old iPhone, though not enough to switch back. The tethering is one option, but carting two phones and enabling the tethering every time I drive is just too much extra hassle. Oh well, Nokia Drive is just as good at navigating but I miss reporting traffic!
jeffro02

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General