How does address entry work? (badly, it seems)

Moderator: Unholy

How does address entry work? (badly, it seems)

Postby jhandl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi, I'm having a really hard time entering addresses. For example, if I enter "1000 street, city", I get results like "3626 street, city". The only way I've found to enter a destination is to browse the map and put a pin near my destination, but that presumes I already know where it is and isn't accurate at all.

Why is it ignoring the street number? It looks like it's searching against a database of individual addresses instead of valid street number ranges. That can't be right... right?
jhandl

Re: How does address entry work? (badly, it seems)

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:56 pm

1) What country are you located in?
2) What happens when you search the address(s) at Bing.com?
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jhandl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:44 pm

I'm currently in Argentina. I tried entering the address both the local way (name number) and the US way (number name), no luck. I did not try Bing, not sure how that is relevant, as I'm using Waze. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I just tried searching in Bing, and it found the address without a problem. As did Google Maps.
jhandl

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:48 pm

USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jhandl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:03 pm

Thanks Andy,

Yes I read the FAQ and searched the forum before I posted. That particular issue you linked is not related to the problem I'm reporting. It's not that the location is shown in the wrong place in the map. It's that the search results show wrong addresses, including the right street but the wrong street number. Not in the map, but in the search results list. Text only. I search for "1234 streetX" and get results like "2376 streetX". This would be ok if it was a search engine for particular addresses, like a list of gas station addresses. But this is for searching a map. The address I entered exists, it's on the map, and streetX goes from 1000 to 3000. Address 1234 should not be expected to be individually specified in the database the search function is using. Otherwise EVERY individual address would need to be in that database, which is very obviously absurd.

</rant>
jhandl

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:06 pm

Actually it does apply to your situation...

If you put "1000 street, city" into Bing, and Bing only returns results to "3626 street, city", that is where the problem is. If Bing returns correct results for "1000 street, city" then there is another issue...
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jhandl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Andy, for some reason you seem to have missed when I posted "I just tried searching in Bing, and it found the address without a problem. As did Google Maps."

There is clearly a serious problem with the way Waze searches for addresses. From what I can see, it's searching for the exact address in some database of exact addresses, instead of looking the address up in a GIS database where each street has a range of valid numbers. If that is the case, somebody at Waze needs to be fired.

If the only way I can enter an address is to point it on the map, and the notifications (the most innovative feature in Waze) aren't filtered to what happens on my route to make them relevant, then I see no point in using Waze.

It's a nice idea with a very bad implementation. I hope somebody else picks it up and makes it work.
jhandl

Postby OldGnome » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:40 pm

jhandl wrote:If that is the case, somebody at Waze needs to be fired.

I think that's a bit harsh.
jhandl wrote:It's a nice idea with a very bad implementation.

Ditto

What you seek works for me. Every time. Then again, I am navigating on the USA, not Argentina. There could be a country-specific issue. Have you checked the Argentina forum?
OldGnome

Postby jhandl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:14 pm

You are right, it was harsh, and I have to correct myself and apologize.

I did further tests and it seems that Waze is not searching on a database of specific addresses. I searched for an address that I know doesn't exist but is a possible address given the range of valid house numbers on a given street (for example, there's a house on "1234 StreetX" but not on "1235 StreetX"). All map systems I tested (Google, Yahoo, Bing, Waze) were able to locate the fake address, although while most went straight to the correct location on the map, only Waze shows text results where the correct address is not among the first results. This is probably due to messy data in which case presenting the search results in text form before jumping to the map is a sensible decision.

So the problem is in the data. Most of the addresses I search for don't show up in the search results or show up at the bottom of the list. Most of the search results are clearly garbage, like an empty title with a wrong address (wrong number or just the street name, no number, which makes no sense). Clearly the data needs to be cleaned up. I'll look into map editing to see if I can help in that effort.
jhandl

Postby amiga6 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:15 pm

jhandl wrote:So the problem is in the data. Most of the addresses I search for don't show up in the search results or show up at the bottom of the list. Most of the search results are clearly garbage, like an empty title with a wrong address (wrong number or just the street name, no number, which makes no sense). Clearly the data needs to be cleaned up. I'll look into map editing to see if I can help in that effort.

It may be that the address is not added to Waze. Have you checked in the map editor, the address is added? It is a big job and it's users like you, me and everyone else who uses Waze needs help to add addresses.
I'm using Samsung Galaxy S6 Android 6.0.1 Swedish and the latest Waze version.

amiga6
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Website, Community, General