Dui checkpoints

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Dui checkpoints

Postby OldGnome » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:51 pm

daknife wrote:Report it for the traffic impact.

Thanks, daknife. I appreciate the information.
OldGnome

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:55 pm

daknife wrote:Report it for the traffic impact.
and the fact that there will be lane closures/restrictions/narrowing, people in the road, etc...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Plinko75 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:48 am

I would play the odds and say that a person that is too drunk to be driving will most likely not be using(or be able to accurately follow) Waze reports. I would absolutely report a checkpoint because a checkpoint is a delay. Isn't that what we are all here trying to avoid?
Plinko75

Postby pogglywoggly » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:50 pm

If you want DUI checkpoint direct reporting why stop there? Why not add registration/inspection checkpoints as well as giving road construction it's own dedicated tab
pogglywoggly

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:38 am

pogglywoggly wrote:Why not add registration/inspection checkpoints
Why not report it? These checkpoints effect traffic, pose a hazard (barriers, lane closures, police cars, officers in the road, etc)

pogglywoggly wrote:...as well as giving road construction it's own dedicated tab
That's been suggested several times - it's own report would also allow for easier descriptions/lane closure info...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby majic12 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:13 pm

everything that would impact traffic and routing should be reported...isnt that the point.
majic12

Postby PhantomSoul » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:46 pm

I don't see any impact to the risk of drunk drivers being on the road in posting a report about a check point. From a delay standpoint - after all, they are stopping every car and interviewing the driver - there is a lot of value in telling drivers about the delays that causes.

I don't know how other people report it, but I, personally, would probably try to focus reporting on the delay aspect of it instead of the checkpoint aspect - maybe use a traffic pin instead of a cop pin and wording in the description that makes it more about the delay than it being a checkpoint. The main reason for this is if any of the authorities administering the checkpoint also run Waze, they can remove the reports if they feel they are compromising the stealth of their operation. Same thing goes for speed trap pins, though I think their aim is to capture a much shorter interval of time.

This may all be moot anyway, since many DUI checkpoints aren't exactly stealthy, instead operating under the assumption that the worst offenders they are trying to target won't, in their inebriated state, be savvy enough to avoid them anyway.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS 9.3.2 / Waze 4.6
PhantomSoul
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby weeezer14 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:49 am

I don't remember what the laws are in NJ for checkpoints, but here in TN they actually need to be published in the newspaper ahead of time. So absolutely no stealth aspect at all. If you get caught, boy did you deserve it!
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby Daknife » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:59 am

I'm not one hundred percent certain, but I'm fairly positive the public notice is a federal requirement imposed by the Supreme Court.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby BlazeTool » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:01 pm

daknife wrote:I'm not one hundred percent certain, but I'm fairly positive the public notice is a federal requirement imposed by the Supreme Court.

Sort of, SCOTUS basically requires that there are safeguards, the NHTSA recommends the safeguards, but public notice isn't a federally established requirement. But in California the requirement established by the CASC is that "Advance publicity is necessary to reduce the intrusiveness of the checkpoint and increase its deterrent effect." And there's a pretty good chance if a DUI checkpoint was set up in another state without notice it'd end in a case going to the state supreme court and there being a similar finding.

So is notice required everywhere in the US? No. Is it in the police department's best interest in giving notice so that the legality doesn't get challenged? Yes.
BlazeTool

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General