Apple to acquire Waze?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Re: Apple to acquire Waze?

Postby dmcconachie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:19 pm

Poopstick wrote:Investors are indeed the real threat. You can't refuse a return on investment which represents your investment 10 folds.

Edit: selling would be IMHO a mistake. Apple is past (if not a dead man walking), crowdsourcing still has a long way to go with the newer generations which were born after Internet has become widespread.

Aren't you contradicting yourself there?

Private equity investors will happily turn down a 10x ROIC if future returns are estimated in excess of that. Just ask Ronald Wayne! In this case I'm pretty sure it's less than half of that anyway. $67m of investment vs Waze's supposed acceptable figure of $750m. Pretty sure Waze will have retained more than 50% of the company during funding! Which would also leave the ultimate decision in the hands of the Waze board presuming they didn't hand majority voting rights away which would be unusual if not unheard of.
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:20 pm

petervdveen wrote:Well.. Just give every wazer a dollar for every edit and I'm okey with it ;-)

Not sure even Apple's $200bn war chest could fund Mapcat on that basis! ;-)
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Re: Apple to acquire Waze?

Postby Colonel667 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:26 pm

petervdveen wrote:Well.. Just give every wazer a dollar for every edit and I'm okey with it ;-)

Waze contrubutions are measured in points, not # of edits. Maybe half of $750m should be divided by the total number of points... how much would that be per point? :D

Is the total # of points known?
Colonel667

Re: Re: Re: Apple to acquire Waze?

Postby Poopstick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:35 pm

dmcconachie wrote:
Poopstick wrote:Investors are indeed the real threat. You can't refuse a return on investment which represents your investment 10 folds.

Edit: selling would be IMHO a mistake. Apple is past (if not a dead man walking), crowdsourcing still has a long way to go with the newer generations which were born after Internet has become widespread.

Aren't you contradicting yourself there?

Private equity investors will happily turn down a 10x ROIC if future returns are estimated in excess of that. Just ask Ronald Wayne! In this case I'm pretty sure it's less than half of that anyway. $67m of investment vs Waze's supposed acceptable figure of $750m. Pretty sure Waze will have retained more than 50% of the company during funding! Which would also leave the ultimate decision in the hands of the Waze board presuming they didn't hand majority voting rights away which would be unusual if not unheard of.

I hope you're right! Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough on this matter. If the founders of waze keep the upper hand we have a chance to see it survive.

I see investors as a threat since for the last 30 years investors are only looking for a quick ROI rather than pushing a project to its end. They screwed up the western world by moving factories to China. Now China is knocking at the door with Made BY China stuff.
Nexus 4 - Android 4.2.2
Poopstick
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby OldGnome » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Colonel667 wrote:
OldGnome wrote:I never said that.

Yes, of course you did. Also you continue to do so.

Sorry, I'm not playing this game any more.

GPSDARH
OldGnome

Re: Re: Re: Apple to acquire Waze?

Postby Colonel667 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:44 pm

Poopstick wrote:I see investors as a threat since for the last 30 years investors are only looking for a quick ROI rather than pushing a project to its end.

What if the fouders of Waze themselves are now having a similar plan?

Poopstick wrote:They screwed up the western world by moving factories to China. Now China is knocking at the door with Made BY China stuff.

If consumers were willing to pay as much for products as you in France are willing to pay for high quality food, the people who started this would have gone bankrupt. ;)
On the other hand, outsourcing enabled people in China etc. to be better off, and now being able to buy our German cars, which then enables us to bail out half of Europe, haha. :lol:

OldGnome wrote:Sorry, I'm not playing this game any more.

No problem, bro. It's not like talking to you is going anywhere for me, either. Obviously there are people here who actually know basic economic principles.
Colonel667

Postby Poopstick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:09 pm

And good part of German cars are built outside Germany and you'll see Chinese cars able to compete with the best European models within the next decade. You can't make business with the Chinese unless you're ready to sell them the know how as well. Guess what they did with your ICE technology recently?
Nexus 4 - Android 4.2.2
Poopstick
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby slicer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:11 pm

OldGnome wrote:So what? You still haven't "created" anything.

Wrong. At the beginning, there were no road at all. We have created them by building with our GPS.

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7 avec Tapatalk
Ghost
S6 Edge+ - Android 6.0.1
slicer

Postby Poopstick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Nexus 4 - Android 4.2.2
Poopstick
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby vanterax » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:51 pm

So false news. But look at the amount of free publicity for Waze. A lot more people are suddenly aware of it now. :)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57561 ... pany-waze/
vanterax

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General