Apple to acquire Waze?

Moderator: Unholy

Apple to acquire Waze?

Postby fvwazing » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:11 pm

Waze's assets are both its map and its community. As for the community - its value is estimated based on some rule of the thumb, calculating expected revenue from advertising etc. Yes, each and every one of us is worth $5 and it quickly adds up.

The other asset that Waze holds is its map. After 3 years of work there are patches on the world that have an exceptional good map, so good that its usability is better than any commercial map. But really - most of the map worldwide is still unusable. It will take many more years to get those areas in a shape where you can expect a useful route.

Online communities can fall apart within weeks or months, history shows that selling the ownership/changing tactics can accelerate that process. Waze's community - held together by 0.1% of its userbase - seems exceptionally brittle and it does not really help that 2/3 of us are on Android.

If Apple wants the map but looses the community in the process they are in for a few unpleasant surprises. They must keep the community alive if they ever want to harvest the maps, and Apple has a notorious bad reputation with social things. On the other hand it is understandable that Waze would sell; getting offered 300 times last years revenue is more than many of us could withstand.
fvwazing

Apple to acquire Waze?

Postby banished » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:48 am

Depressing. Most depressing. The Apple and Waze cultures are diametrically opposed, but money talks. I wonder how much I should bill Apple for all the effort invested into Waze?
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Apple to acquire Waze?

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:52 am

Depends on what Apple would be willing to pay for it

If they were willing to pay a large sum, it would either be because they are a huge potential for profit, or they feel that their own maps are threatened by it.

Either way, it would make sense for then to hang onto it.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300

Apple to acquire Waze?

Postby jmp316 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:27 am

jasonh300 wrote:This rumor has been around for over a year now. Considering Waze's behind the scenes licensing with Bing, it would be just as likely that Microsoft would buy them. I think that at this point, the chance of Microsoft or Apple acquiring Waze is slim to none.

I confess I don't know much about Waze's profit strategy (other than recent ads from Taco Bell and Dunkin Donuts appearing in the client maps recently). They already give some data to Apple. Would it make more sense to sell the business for one lump sum or continue to license data and advertise?
jmp316

Apple to acquire Waze?

Postby jmp316 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:54 pm

As an Apple guru myself (fanboy if you wish) it is intriguing. But I wouldn't want Apple to ruin the gaming, social, and crowd sourcing of waze. I fear they would kill map editing. Boo.
jmp316

Apple to acquire Waze?

Postby gettingthere » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:36 pm

gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Website, Community, General