Mark Moving Police differently!

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Mark Moving Police differently!

Postby zxttfan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:45 pm

txemt wrote:If the cop is moving, it shouldn't be reported in the first place. A lot of people don't understand that. If you report a cop, you're putting down a point on a map and "advertising" something is there. If the cop is moving....it's not THERE!!! Ugh....


Newbie here but I agree with the OP about having a cop driving option. A fair amount of local and county police/sheriffs drive with their radar on, which would be useful to know. Only laser requires an officer to be stationary. Any chance Waze will add this feature?
zxttfan
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Mark Moving Police differently!

Postby wisedraco » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:24 pm

cannot argue to you about latvian translations, because on my phones, computers, gps and such devices i always use english language, as so i not suffer from strange translations around.
traps, in my opinion, also can be moving - moving police car with speed detection units = moving PoliceTraps :)
as so i continue to mark moving police too. in previous saturday i see in one stage police car, who was already cought one driver and write ticket to him. report about "police (visible)" and after approx half an hour get "thanks". that was at morning, when i drive via that stage to home, police already driving in this stage around to hunting, and another wazers have been marked additionals 3 or four places where he see police cars nearby...
i assume, in different countries and so situation in that plane can be different, but in latvia it is good, and no drawbacks, to report about moving \ hunting police cars. and if in waze client not an icon for that special purpose, people use a normal police icon. that's all - majority these things like me in that question ( it means - thinks logically, thanks to god :D ), and you cannot change that fact...
Image
wisedraco
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Mark Moving Police differently!

Postby wisedraco » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:10 am

dmcconachie wrote:How about the boy who cried wolf?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Cried_Wolf

good answer :D
but, be real: moving police not encounter 3x in each day, as so, if he is there, it is better to show it, than not, i think. in another way, there is the same "How about the boy who cried wolf?", but in reverse view - police standing on map is useless, because driving ( patrulling) police dont show at all, and can catch you every moment, as so you can not think "there in waze on map not showing police, as i can get my speed to legal +15 miles,and there not a big possibility to get catched"?
There also we can view on more older practice in that field: CB radio on trucks, where a many years it used to communoicate by truck drivers and anothers, who interesting about situation on roads and also, police. and there always be warnings about moving police cars also, in any case - in Latvia, and ex-ussr territories. maybe rest of europe even on CB not warning anothers about police cars on road, because "he drive around, he in sot here", and so on? ;)

also, i think, we can try discussion about that from general thing - why really in waze involved reports about police ?
Image
wisedraco
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Mark Moving Police differently!

Postby wisedraco » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:43 am

daknife wrote:
It says none of those things, it says "At least four minutes ago someone saw a police car at this very specific point of ground." That is it. That officer may have had someone pulled over, may be sitting on the side of the road watching for speeders and other violators (both valid reports) or, he may have been cruising watching for speeders, cruising trying to do a slowdown, may have been going on a call, may have been going to dinner, may have been going to work, may have been going home, but most importantly was at this spot at least four minutes ago and is now most likely miles away (or kilometers away). So by the time you get this report the officer could, have someone pulled over, still be driving but four minutes down the road, may be at a call, may be at dinner, may be at the station, may be home, but most importantly (if the officer was moving) IS NOT HERE any more. A police report does not block out a section of road that may be patrolled, it says an officer is at this geographic point at some fairly recent but still minutes ago period of time. There is no value to navigation, there is no value to a rapidly outdating report(every second the officer gets further away from the point and each intersection vastly increases the possibilities of where he could go.) And too many false reports result in drivers just ignoring them, including the legitimate ones resulting in getting caught speeding and more importantly in not knowing ahead of time to move over and slow down for safety reasons.


Yes, yes,yes, you right.
IS NOT HERE ANYMORE. but he's here there around and may catch you for speeding.
cannot see your point -for what reason, you think, police reports in waze is need?
for me, as i already says, is more important to not catch for speeding or so, than a "false alarm".
for me lot better is ten times slow down to legal speeds, than one time get catched for speeding, because in that situation i lost my money, time, and possible - licence. false warnings and driving in speed limits no introduce any lose for me, as so i always be winner there. but if anyone thinking not show moving police at all - there is big chances get a speed ticketing, who really put down whole thing about police reports in waze - because always there will be moving police, who can give you speeding tickets, in any place, and peoples like you say "moving police must not be showing, because it not there, but 200 metres further!".
for me, it looks very, very strange and alogically.
P.S. do you hear about Pascal's Wager?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager
i think, that situation, about we there discuss is very similar -if you report about moving police and all around see that and slow down - no one had loss. there is only a gains. for absolutely all, including driving safety, and police ( except amount of police collect money).
Image
wisedraco
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Mark Moving Police differently!

Postby wisedraco » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:27 am

txemt wrote:If the cop is moving, it shouldn't be reported in the first place. A lot of people don't understand that. If you report a cop, you're putting down a point on a map and "advertising" something is there. If the cop is moving....it's not THERE!!! Ugh....

on my experience, it rides in the district - in example, in via baltic it move around 10 - 20 kilometres, then turn around, drives again 10 - 20 kilometres, again turn around and so on. based on that, i can easily see a benefit from showing moving police. for example, when one wazers report on map "moving police", it also choose what direction that police drive, and then, waze get average driving speed on that lane, and warn all wazers in, say, 10 kilometres from that point to both direction about "in that stage is moving police car" ?
i think, it is a good thing...?

P.S. yes,yes, i read whole topic. many of us want to break speed limit every yard, when it is possible. i think different - if you see a possibility of moving police -from all things, is better to drive with legal speed even for 10 - 20 - or 30 miles, than break speed limit and get caught by police, even not speaking about safety...
from that point, i clearly see, a report and showing moving police car in mildly large road stage is good thing, without doubt.
Image
wisedraco
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Mark Moving Police differently!

Postby txemt » Thu May 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Police I've been reporting haven't been showing up after I place them, even after 4 minutes.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
 
Posts: 4772
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:03 pm
Location: 26.1901 80.3659
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 1033 times

Re: Mark Moving Police differently!

Postby txemt » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:54 am

I think most users use it to report the speed trap. I'm also assuming that a lot of people don't know about the law of slowing down (decreasing speed by 25mph) and/or getting over into the next lane. That law is plastered all over Texas using the Amber Alert boards.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
 
Posts: 4772
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:03 pm
Location: 26.1901 80.3659
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 1033 times

Re: Mark Moving Police differently!

Postby txemt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
txemt wrote:I understand that, but I've also seen reports that have:

Police visible: 2 miles ahead
Reported by: AndyPoms
Notes: Black unmarked car moving along east on highway 1

WTF?!?

Yea, I had Scotty beam me from Connecticut to Texas just so I could post that to piss you off... :lol:


OR....I was driving in Connecticut and saw it on the reports. :D

I'm kidding. I wasn't picking on you, I just used your name because it was the first one that I could think of.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
 
Posts: 4772
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:03 pm
Location: 26.1901 80.3659
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 1033 times

Re: Mark Moving Police differently!

Postby txemt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:36 am

CBenson wrote:Ok so yesterday morning I was completely stopped in traffic on a divided highway with two lanes going in my direction. A police car with its lights and siren on passed me on the shoulder (presumably going to whatever issue had stopped the traffic) and traveled out of sight up the shoulder. Within seconds a police alert popped up on the road a couple hundred yards ahead of me. How could this possibly be useful to anyone? What are people thinking?


You should have tried to figure out who did it.....then tell them you're a CM for Waze and I am ordering you to STOP DOING THAT SH*T!!!!
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
 
Posts: 4772
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:03 pm
Location: 26.1901 80.3659
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 1033 times

Re: Mark Moving Police differently!

Postby txemt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:49 am

I understand that, but I've also seen reports that have:

Police visible: 2 miles ahead
Reported by: AndyPoms
Notes: Black unmarked car moving along east on highway 1

WTF?!?
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
 
Posts: 4772
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:03 pm
Location: 26.1901 80.3659
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 1033 times

Next

Return to Website, Community, General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users