Mark Moving Police differently!

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Mark Moving Police differently!

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed May 15, 2013 1:47 pm

bombebomb wrote:Think of it like reporting a hazard in the south bound lane when you're in the north bound lane, sure it's not important to you, but it's important to someone in those other lanes.

Completely inaccurate analogy! Since when did a hazard or an accident move at 100kph down the road? A police report for a moving vehicle is useless within 60 seconds or less. There are just as many people, if not more, who have griped about police reports they've slowed down for which no longer exist. More often than not it was a moving vehicle marked and in 2 minutes they've made 6 turns and are a mile away. Utterly useless to report moving police.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:07 pm

Waze has limits on the number of reports one can make in a set distance/time. Also, as you get closer to those limits you start getting fewer and fewer points per report.

If you can get the username (tap on the reports), send that info to support and support can check into the report history & if necessary have a chat with them...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:32 am

txemt wrote:I understand that, but I've also seen reports that have:

Police visible: 2 miles ahead
Reported by: AndyPoms
Notes: Black unmarked car moving along east on highway 1

WTF?!?

Yea, I had Scotty beam me from Connecticut to Texas just so I could post that to piss you off... :lol:

txemt wrote:
CBenson wrote:Ok so yesterday morning I was completely stopped in traffic on a divided highway with two lanes going in my direction. A police car with its lights and siren on passed me on the shoulder (presumably going to whatever issue had stopped the traffic) and traveled out of sight up the shoulder. Within seconds a police alert popped up on the road a couple hundred yards ahead of me. How could this possibly be useful to anyone? What are people thinking?

You should have tried to figure out who did it.....then tell them you're a CM for Waze and I am ordering you to STOP DOING THAT SH*T!!!!
I've sent more than a few polite PMs telling people not to do that. Most who read the message are understanding - those who do not read the message get another with a sterner subject line, or even an in-app Ping when I catch them.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:17 pm

zxttfan wrote:
txemt wrote:If the cop is moving, it shouldn't be reported in the first place. A lot of people don't understand that. If you report a cop, you're putting down a point on a map and "advertising" something is there. If the cop is moving....it's not THERE!!! Ugh....

Newbie here but I agree with the OP about having a cop driving option. A fair amount of local and county police/sheriffs drive with their radar on, which would be useful to know. Only laser requires an officer to be stationary. Any chance Waze will add this feature?

Radar or Ladar (Laser) will work while in motion, HOWEVER, it needs to be tied to something else (GPS, Speedometer) to determine the speed and direction (relative to the target) of the vehicle that it is in. The basic physics behind Radar & Ladar is to determine distance to target, wait a set amount of time, determine distance to target & calculate the speed based on the change in distance. When both vehicles are in motion, it takes more math to figure out (two vehicles traveling at the exact same speed in the same direction will maintain the same distance between them, if they were traveling different directions the speed between them would be double)
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Wed May 15, 2013 11:22 am

CBenson wrote:I agree that moving police should be reported differently. That way waze can know to ignore the report. The reporters get to remain under the illusion that reporting a moving police car has any value and the map won't get cluttered with useless reports.

We could also use the same logic for Speed Camera Vans - put a "Mobile Speed Camera" report button in and it doesn't add a camera to WME, but adds a Police/Hazard Report.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu May 16, 2013 1:39 am

davipt wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:
CBenson wrote:I agree that moving police should be reported differently. That way waze can know to ignore the report. The reporters get to remain under the illusion that reporting a moving police car has any value and the map won't get cluttered with useless reports.

We could also use the same logic for Speed Camera Vans - put a "Mobile Speed Camera" report button in and it doesn't add a camera to WME, but adds a Police/Hazard Report.

I'd rather see the report camera option moved inside the map problem, next to the pave road, so people don't ever have the temptation to report cameras where they don't exist.

I support moving all the Camera reporting into Map Issue over what I proposed above (I just didn't have time to type that in this morning). However, we haven't been able to get any traction on getting it moved, so anything is better that what we have now.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bombebomb » Wed May 15, 2013 1:29 am

Adding a "moving" option to the police report section would be a great idea, many people would like to see this update in the future for Waze.

As it stands right now your options are to..
1. Not report and hope a wazer 4 minutes behind you does not face a ticket.
2. Report and hope the wazer see's the alert and uses caution a few miles before he arrives.
3. Report up and down the road, which looks cluttered and could be a spammer.

A simple and very quick way to fix this it to add a "moving" option, and then when you select the lane that would solve the direction. Just change the symbol slightly so it can be seen at a glance. What is being proposed is by no means a technical hurdle and should be very easy to implement.

Adding in a shorter timer for such alerts would also be a wise decision, maybe 5-10 minutes before they expire (that would be 5 to 10+ miles he would of traveled). This would also keep the map from being turned into a big mess of rolling police.

I know I am not alone in this idea and with the ease of implementation I feel it's worth a good look at, and would solve multiple problems mentioned already.

I posted in this thread instead of creating a new one because it was fairly recent.
bombebomb

Postby bombebomb » Wed May 15, 2013 12:42 pm

daknife wrote:But you are forgetting one key point. Any report takes about 4 minutes to propagate across the network, so such a report is worthless. Do Not report moving police. By the time anyone else sees your report, the officer is likely miles away in who knows what direction, from the point of the report.

What if that officer doesn't like waze and notes the blue subaru with the cell phone mounted on it's dash, and the driver tapped the phone a couple times and then the officer's location popped up on his waze screen, is that couple taps on the device going to violate the state's no texting laws? It's not an easy fix, and it's not a logical addition. A moving officer inserts too many variables to be able to predict his location for more than a few seconds. Or do you propose allowing users to repeatedly post about the officer they are following thus increasing the amount of spam rather than decreasing it, and further distracting those drivers making such posts.

It sounds like a good idea but it is not. There is NO value in reporting a moving police car. You don't know if he's cruising to show a presence, moving to a site to set up a radar trap, heading back to the office, heading to eat, heading home etc. A moving police car is not a hazard to navigation. Further; avoiding tickets is NOT the primary reason for these reports, even if it is reported as a speed trap, the real reason is to warn of the hazard created by the officer sitting on the side of the road.

What good does reporting the lane do, when 2 seconds after you hit send, he changes lanes? Then twenty seconds later he's off at the next off ramp? Your report is now more worthless than the frequent posts as he bounces down the road from speeder to speeder where he is usually going to be sitting for 10-15 minutes at a time.

But again all of you posting what a great idea this is are ignoring the fact that the moment you hit send the report is sent, four minutes will pass before anyone else sees it, but even if waze manages to cut it down to 10 seconds, the instant you post it it's set on the map, and 2 seconds later the officer changes direction speed or lane and your post is worthless. If you are six miles away from an "in motion" police, unless he's just circling the same area you will most likely never see him, unless your overtake speed is so high that you deserve to get a ticket as you are a hazard to others.

Stationary police reports are often incorrect by the time they propagate across the network, and you somehow think moving reports would be an improvement?
I have seen multiple reports pop up in front of me, and even tested it with multiple cell phones I have never had a report more than two minutes from the first report. While some reports could take up to four minutes that is not something that occurs most of the time.

Waze has integrated voice reporting, if a particular person does not like voice reporting or does not work quite right for them. They can not report (since all of the reports they do would be illegal, police, accident, etc.) or continue breaking the law. The probability of a moving police officer seeing a wazer mess with his phone is substantially lower than a stationary police officer looking at each automobile which passes.

A moving officer does insert extra variables, however with a short 5-10 minute timer these variable are greatly reduced. If I see a moving report for police 6 minutes ago, I drive with in 3-4 miles of the marker and see no police I know he either hopped off an exit, pulled into the shoulder, or is sitting in the median. These possibilities can be narrowed down by knowing the area you drive.

Police are "never" off duty, if they are just patrolling making a presence and someone breaks the law, the officer will do the work he is required to do. Moving police can come at you, or be driving away from you. The police coming at you can clock your speed from the other side of the road. Think of it like reporting a hazard in the south bound lane when you're in the north bound lane, sure it's not important to you, but it's important to someone in those other lanes.
bombebomb

Postby bombebomb » Wed May 15, 2013 2:19 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bombebomb wrote:Think of it like reporting a hazard in the south bound lane when you're in the north bound lane, sure it's not important to you, but it's important to someone in those other lanes.

Completely inaccurate analogy! Since when did a hazard or an accident move at 100kph down the road? A police report for a moving vehicle is useless within 60 seconds or less. There are just as many people, if not more, who have griped about police reports they've slowed down for which no longer exist. More often than not it was a moving vehicle marked and in 2 minutes they've made 6 turns and are a mile away. Utterly useless to report moving police.
The idea of the analogy was to show that it's not always the cars ahead of you (going in the same direction as you) that would be important, it would be the cars coming towards you. This was a rebuttal to Daknife mentioning you catching up with a police car going in the same direction being unlikely.
bombebomb

Postby CBenson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:33 am

Ok so yesterday morning I was completely stopped in traffic on a divided highway with two lanes going in my direction. A police car with its lights and siren on passed me on the shoulder (presumably going to whatever issue had stopped the traffic) and traveled out of sight up the shoulder. Within seconds a police alert popped up on the road a couple hundred yards ahead of me. How could this possibly be useful to anyone? What are people thinking?
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Next

Return to Website, Community, General