Mark Moving Police differently!

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Mark Moving Police differently!

Postby dmcconachie » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:29 am

It is off the road though!
dmcconachie

Postby Riamus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:06 pm

That wouldn't be even remotely valid. Police pulling people over can move down the road rather quickly. It doesn't take more than a few minutes in most cases before the officer is heading after another car and may be 1/4 mile further down the road by the time someone comes by. They'll mark the police as being not there even though the officer really was there at the time of the report. In most cases, just letting the reporter know that they shouldn't mark moving police is enough to get them to stop. Most aren't doing it due to trying to get points or cause trouble. They just don't know that they shouldn't do so. The client doesn't say not to and most probably never come to the forum.
Riamus

Postby mrtdg » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:22 pm

I seriously think wazers who report moving police should lose points and be downgrade. They are inherently unreliable and clutter the map with useless warnings.

I think this could be achieved if you tag a cop and it is reported "not there" within a few minutes, say 5, and this happens repeatedly. Perhaps after so many, you take a point hit of say -1000.

To fix the Noobs who do this, there should be a warning to baby wazers who tag police letting them know NOT to tag moving police, everytime until they graduate. I think some people just don't know.
mrtdg

Postby Riamus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Lol! Though I wouldn't want to be the Wazer right next to them when they start swaying. :)
Riamus

Postby fvwazing » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:46 pm

CBenson wrote:I agree that moving police should be reported differently. That way waze can know to ignore the report. The reporters get to remain under the illusion that reporting a moving police car has any value and the map won't get cluttered with useless reports.

This is still the best option so far! I would like to see this implemented in such a way that the reporter has to answer a number of follow-up questions (like:"Are they speeding?", "are they shooting?", "are sirens engaged?") in ever smaller print, with ever smaller buttons. The inevitable swaying of the reporter's vehicle will guarantee attention of the cops, during the resulting licensecheck/questioning/stripsearch at the roadside Wazers coming up from behind will have no trouble for at least 10 minutes.
fvwazing

Postby Riamus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Moving police could be valuable to avoid being caught speeding or doing anything else that you aren't supposed to be doing. However, as has been stated, an option that points to a specific point isn't going to work because the car is moving and can be anywhere by the time someone else sees the report. Consider what happens when police are driving around a large city and every Wazer starts reporting them on every block? You end up with dozens of reports and they basically become useless. It wouldn't be so bad in a rural area because you may only get a few reports, but in a city, it would be a problem.

If we ever want to have reports for moving police or other moving vehicles that could be a hazard (slow moving vehicles like tractors, fast moving like emergency vehicles, etc.), then we need to do something different from current report types. Basically, do a heat map type of display instead of a point on the map. If a moving police car is marked on the map, an overlay showing a shaded circle of X radius for X time on the map. As you enter the circle, you get a warning that there may be a moving police car in the vicinity. You get no other reports from it while you're in the shaded area, but you can easily see that you're in the area and should be careful. If multiple people report moving police in an area, the heat map style is used in that if 5 are in the same area and then you see a couple in another area nearby and one in another area nearby in another direction, it will shade the are with the most reports darker than the areas with the least reports. This lets you know that there is increased presence in those darker areas. An overlay can very easily be disabled by anyone who doesn't want it. It still isn't perfect, but it does provide a viable way to show a moving vehicle and would work for slow vehicles as well (with a smaller radius and increased time on the map). We'll probably still never see that, but it's at least something that would work better than marking a single point. That simply is a bad idea and should never be done.

Of course, a similar argument could be used for Rain. Seeing rain notices just bugs me because they are usually somewhere in the middle of the rainstorm and I've already been driving in it for a long time by the time I see it. It's one thing to mark an area with very heavy rain because that's often smaller is area and is more dangerous, but some people mark light rain or sprinkling in the middle of the area and it just isn't helpful there. Rain also moves around and can start or stop at any time, so it's really little different from a moving vehicle other than that it covers a larger area, so movement isn't as much of a problem (it's still a problem, though).

I do like the unrelated comment above to mark start and end of construction so it can be displayed in the client, but it isn't necessarily valuable. Waze should route you around it if there is a better option anyhow, so having it marked just gives you an idea of the length, but doesn't really help you any.
Riamus

Postby wisedraco » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:24 pm

cannot argue to you about latvian translations, because on my phones, computers, gps and such devices i always use english language, as so i not suffer from strange translations around.
traps, in my opinion, also can be moving - moving police car with speed detection units = moving PoliceTraps :)
as so i continue to mark moving police too. in previous saturday i see in one stage police car, who was already cought one driver and write ticket to him. report about "police (visible)" and after approx half an hour get "thanks". that was at morning, when i drive via that stage to home, police already driving in this stage around to hunting, and another wazers have been marked additionals 3 or four places where he see police cars nearby...
i assume, in different countries and so situation in that plane can be different, but in latvia it is good, and no drawbacks, to report about moving \ hunting police cars. and if in waze client not an icon for that special purpose, people use a normal police icon. that's all - majority these things like me in that question ( it means - thinks logically, thanks to god :D ), and you cannot change that fact...
wisedraco

Postby fvwazing » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:09 am

wisedraco wrote:also, i think, we can try discussion about that from general thing - why really in waze involved reports about police ?

Apparently, the Latvian translation of the Waze-client needs some work. It should not say "reports about police" but "reports about policeTRAPS". These have a place and a duration, they can be marked on the map and have value. This was made very clear in about every qualified answer in this thread. CB could approximate the positions of policecars because each and every trucker was connected and you don't get anywhere near that if the most populated areas have less than 1 Wazer on 2000 cars.

A precise positioning of every policecar in your vincinity would therefore need cooperation of your local policeforce and I expect to see a few eyebrows raised if you would propose that to them.
Until then you will have to live with just the reports of policeTRAPS only.

If you are not feeling secure moving in traffic because drivers routinely get harassed consider mounting a dashcam (they come in versions for motorcycles as well). I hear that these devices sometimes produce good entertainment, too.
fvwazing

Postby wisedraco » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:10 am

dmcconachie wrote:How about the boy who cried wolf?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Cried_Wolf

good answer :D
but, be real: moving police not encounter 3x in each day, as so, if he is there, it is better to show it, than not, i think. in another way, there is the same "How about the boy who cried wolf?", but in reverse view - police standing on map is useless, because driving ( patrulling) police dont show at all, and can catch you every moment, as so you can not think "there in waze on map not showing police, as i can get my speed to legal +15 miles,and there not a big possibility to get catched"?
There also we can view on more older practice in that field: CB radio on trucks, where a many years it used to communoicate by truck drivers and anothers, who interesting about situation on roads and also, police. and there always be warnings about moving police cars also, in any case - in Latvia, and ex-ussr territories. maybe rest of europe even on CB not warning anothers about police cars on road, because "he drive around, he in sot here", and so on? ;)

also, i think, we can try discussion about that from general thing - why really in waze involved reports about police ?
wisedraco

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:23 am

dmcconachie

Next

Return to Website, Community, General