Mark Moving Police differently!

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Mark Moving Police differently!

Postby Daknife » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:41 am

And all the challenges of accurately radar or ladar gunning speeders. The primary reason NOT to report moving police is that by the time the report appears on the map the officer is likely to be miles down the road. And every interchange and cross-over decreases the reliability of the report. Reports of stationary police are often only accurate for a very short time. Now you want to try to track moving officers. You also are assuming that the primary reason is to avoid tickets. While it is labeled "Speed-Trap" on the map when the warning appears, the biggest reason to report officers is for safety. Too many police are hit every year by drivers. Most states now have move over or slow down laws and these reports make you aware of a police car stopped so you can move over or slow down (both for safety and to avoid a ticket) before you get to where the officer is. There is no such benefit for reporting a moving car.
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:17 pm

zxttfan wrote:
txemt wrote:If the cop is moving, it shouldn't be reported in the first place. A lot of people don't understand that. If you report a cop, you're putting down a point on a map and "advertising" something is there. If the cop is moving....it's not THERE!!! Ugh....

Newbie here but I agree with the OP about having a cop driving option. A fair amount of local and county police/sheriffs drive with their radar on, which would be useful to know. Only laser requires an officer to be stationary. Any chance Waze will add this feature?

Radar or Ladar (Laser) will work while in motion, HOWEVER, it needs to be tied to something else (GPS, Speedometer) to determine the speed and direction (relative to the target) of the vehicle that it is in. The basic physics behind Radar & Ladar is to determine distance to target, wait a set amount of time, determine distance to target & calculate the speed based on the change in distance. When both vehicles are in motion, it takes more math to figure out (two vehicles traveling at the exact same speed in the same direction will maintain the same distance between them, if they were traveling different directions the speed between them would be double)
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby zxttfan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:45 pm

txemt wrote:If the cop is moving, it shouldn't be reported in the first place. A lot of people don't understand that. If you report a cop, you're putting down a point on a map and "advertising" something is there. If the cop is moving....it's not THERE!!! Ugh....

Newbie here but I agree with the OP about having a cop driving option. A fair amount of local and county police/sheriffs drive with their radar on, which would be useful to know. Only laser requires an officer to be stationary. Any chance Waze will add this feature?
zxttfan

Postby txemt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
txemt wrote:I understand that, but I've also seen reports that have:

Police visible: 2 miles ahead
Reported by: AndyPoms
Notes: Black unmarked car moving along east on highway 1

WTF?!?

Yea, I had Scotty beam me from Connecticut to Texas just so I could post that to piss you off... :lol:

OR....I was driving in Connecticut and saw it on the reports. :D

I'm kidding. I wasn't picking on you, I just used your name because it was the first one that I could think of.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:32 am

txemt wrote:I understand that, but I've also seen reports that have:

WTF?!?

Yea, I had Scotty beam me from Connecticut to Texas just so I could post that to piss you off... :lol:

txemt wrote:
CBenson wrote:Ok so yesterday morning I was completely stopped in traffic on a divided highway with two lanes going in my direction. A police car with its lights and siren on passed me on the shoulder (presumably going to whatever issue had stopped the traffic) and traveled out of sight up the shoulder. Within seconds a police alert popped up on the road a couple hundred yards ahead of me. How could this possibly be useful to anyone? What are people thinking?

You should have tried to figure out who did it.....then tell them you're a CM for Waze and I am ordering you to STOP DOING THAT SH*T!!!!
I've sent more than a few polite PMs telling people not to do that. Most who read the message are understanding - those who do not read the message get another with a sterner subject line, or even an in-app Ping when I catch them.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby txemt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:36 am

CBenson wrote:Ok so yesterday morning I was completely stopped in traffic on a divided highway with two lanes going in my direction. A police car with its lights and siren on passed me on the shoulder (presumably going to whatever issue had stopped the traffic) and traveled out of sight up the shoulder. Within seconds a police alert popped up on the road a couple hundred yards ahead of me. How could this possibly be useful to anyone? What are people thinking?

You should have tried to figure out who did it.....then tell them you're a CM for Waze and I am ordering you to STOP DOING THAT SH*T!!!!
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CBenson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:33 am

Ok so yesterday morning I was completely stopped in traffic on a divided highway with two lanes going in my direction. A police car with its lights and siren on passed me on the shoulder (presumably going to whatever issue had stopped the traffic) and traveled out of sight up the shoulder. Within seconds a police alert popped up on the road a couple hundred yards ahead of me. How could this possibly be useful to anyone? What are people thinking?
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Daknife » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:56 am

Cut it out Andy, we all know you are doing it just to mock TXemt. :lol:
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby txemt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:49 am

I understand that, but I've also seen reports that have:

WTF?!?
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Daknife » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:30 am

More likely it's not the same user but the same usergroup reporting the officer as he jumps down the road from ticket to ticket. Many officers will start out at one point and then each time the finish writing a ticket, they just turn on the radar gun and immediately tag the next victim. Easily resulting in reports "moving" down the road with them.
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General