Mark Moving Police differently!

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Mark Moving Police differently!

Postby txemt » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:56 am

If the cop is moving, it shouldn't be reported in the first place. A lot of people don't understand that. If you report a cop, you're putting down a point on a map and "advertising" something is there. If the cop is moving....it's not THERE!!! Ugh....
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt

Postby squallywood » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:50 am

It sucks to have slowed down for a police symbol only to see there isn't one. Often times the same Wazer keeps reporting the same police cruiser as it continues down the highway.

If the police is moving, that should be indicated by a different symbol.

I suggest: "Hidden, Visible, Driving"
squallywood

Postby Riamus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:06 pm

That wouldn't be even remotely valid. Police pulling people over can move down the road rather quickly. It doesn't take more than a few minutes in most cases before the officer is heading after another car and may be 1/4 mile further down the road by the time someone comes by. They'll mark the police as being not there even though the officer really was there at the time of the report. In most cases, just letting the reporter know that they shouldn't mark moving police is enough to get them to stop. Most aren't doing it due to trying to get points or cause trouble. They just don't know that they shouldn't do so. The client doesn't say not to and most probably never come to the forum.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Lol! Though I wouldn't want to be the Wazer right next to them when they start swaying. :)
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Moving police could be valuable to avoid being caught speeding or doing anything else that you aren't supposed to be doing. However, as has been stated, an option that points to a specific point isn't going to work because the car is moving and can be anywhere by the time someone else sees the report. Consider what happens when police are driving around a large city and every Wazer starts reporting them on every block? You end up with dozens of reports and they basically become useless. It wouldn't be so bad in a rural area because you may only get a few reports, but in a city, it would be a problem.

If we ever want to have reports for moving police or other moving vehicles that could be a hazard (slow moving vehicles like tractors, fast moving like emergency vehicles, etc.), then we need to do something different from current report types. Basically, do a heat map type of display instead of a point on the map. If a moving police car is marked on the map, an overlay showing a shaded circle of X radius for X time on the map. As you enter the circle, you get a warning that there may be a moving police car in the vicinity. You get no other reports from it while you're in the shaded area, but you can easily see that you're in the area and should be careful. If multiple people report moving police in an area, the heat map style is used in that if 5 are in the same area and then you see a couple in another area nearby and one in another area nearby in another direction, it will shade the are with the most reports darker than the areas with the least reports. This lets you know that there is increased presence in those darker areas. An overlay can very easily be disabled by anyone who doesn't want it. It still isn't perfect, but it does provide a viable way to show a moving vehicle and would work for slow vehicles as well (with a smaller radius and increased time on the map). We'll probably still never see that, but it's at least something that would work better than marking a single point. That simply is a bad idea and should never be done.

Of course, a similar argument could be used for Rain. Seeing rain notices just bugs me because they are usually somewhere in the middle of the rainstorm and I've already been driving in it for a long time by the time I see it. It's one thing to mark an area with very heavy rain because that's often smaller is area and is more dangerous, but some people mark light rain or sprinkling in the middle of the area and it just isn't helpful there. Rain also moves around and can start or stop at any time, so it's really little different from a moving vehicle other than that it covers a larger area, so movement isn't as much of a problem (it's still a problem, though).

I do like the unrelated comment above to mark start and end of construction so it can be displayed in the client, but it isn't necessarily valuable. Waze should route you around it if there is a better option anyhow, so having it marked just gives you an idea of the length, but doesn't really help you any.
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby pittpanther » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:21 pm

If someone is reporting the same cop moving cop multiple times, clearly they are abusing a loophole to get more points.

If I'm in a construction zone that lasts for 2 miles, I "could" report that a dozen times... There are several of these loopholes that can be abused to gain points. Not sure if these can all be addressed...
pittpanther

Postby ozaudioman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:50 am

I too think an "in motion" icon would be very beneficial in spotting highway police . If you're 6 miles away on a highway and you see an in motion police ahead, I would thing there would be an excellent chance that they would still be driving when you meet up with the icon.

Are there any plans for this in the future.
ozaudioman

Postby mrtdg » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:22 pm

I seriously think wazers who report moving police should lose points and be downgrade. They are inherently unreliable and clutter the map with useless warnings.

I think this could be achieved if you tag a cop and it is reported "not there" within a few minutes, say 5, and this happens repeatedly. Perhaps after so many, you take a point hit of say -1000.

To fix the Noobs who do this, there should be a warning to baby wazers who tag police letting them know NOT to tag moving police, everytime until they graduate. I think some people just don't know.
Samsung SII
Android 4.1.2
mrtdg

Postby LadyBuell » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:04 pm

pittpanther wrote:If someone is reporting the same cop moving cop multiple times, clearly they are abusing a loophole to get more points.

If I'm in a construction zone that lasts for 2 miles, I "could" report that a dozen times... There are several of these loopholes that can be abused to gain points. Not sure if these can all be addressed...

You know what would be a good option? If we could mark the start and end of the construction zone. When you hit hazard>on road>construction instead of having the send button have a start button and then change to send. Hit send to end the construction zone.
LadyBuell

Postby fvwazing » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:56 am

Alas, the introductory video in the Wazeclient shows a policecar getting reported.

Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General