Foursquare checkins no longer an option?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Foursquare checkins no longer an option?

Postby porubcan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:43 am

paulgoss wrote:I too was very disappointed to see the dedicated foursquare check-in button replaced by a road closure button. I live in rural California and use the app to check-in on foursquare and report hazards, traffic and police as well as check-in on foursquare... seems a problem for more than a few... am still waiting for the speedometer to not be covered up by the the main report icon on the droid dna... if I had an option I'd be gone..

it is possible to hide speedometer: settings - display - speedometer (checkbox)
porubcan
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby paulgoss » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:38 am

I too was very disappointed to see the dedicated foursquare check-in button replaced by a road closure button. I live in rural California and use the app to check-in on foursquare and report hazards, traffic and police as well as check-in on foursquare... seems a problem for more than a few... am still waiting for the speedometer to not be covered up by the the main report icon on the droid dna... if I had an option I'd be gone..
paulgoss

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:00 pm

iceprincess213 wrote:I'm quite unhappy with the "NO CHECK=IN"

Did you read anything? Check-in is still available, just not from the Report menu.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby IcePrincess213 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:12 am

I'm quite unhappy with the "NO CHECK=IN", my family & friends have battles using waze & also our check=ins. I sure hope waze reconsiders this button. Maybe they should offer a version with foursquare check in & one without. The programming is already in place for both. I love my waze but not happy with them at the moment.
IcePrincess213

Postby porubcan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:03 am

I definitely think that it would be much more useful to place report of "camera" under "map issue" option and bring 4Sq back.

Currently many users are unaware of what camera report really does and that causes:
1. Police report's lost - instead of creating proper police report immediately visible to others we got unapproved speed cam in WME. We are loosing very valuable data!
2. Tons of useless speed cams in WME.

Devs, pls think of it.

Edit. Now I found Alan posted the same on previous page

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
porubcan
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:16 pm

Of course it's my opinion, such is the nature of a forum. And I understand the convenience of having the two services interlinked but the foursquare app is so much nicer than it was a year ago whereas the waze implementation is so basic. I guess it's more the users threatening to quit waze without it that I'm bemused at.
dmcconachie

Postby stonierocks » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:12 pm

dmcconachie wrote:I can't believe people actually use waze to check in on Foursquare, it's a horrendous implementation!

That's your opinion.

I stopped using the regular Foursquare app long ago, mostly because i just forgot to use it. When I started using Waze, I started checking-in almost every time I went somewhere . Waze is usually already running on my phone when I arrive somewhere and the Foursquare check-in was so convenient. Now, not so much.

The "horrible implementation" is where the button is now. I very rarely use the route function. The other option is the "check-in" under "My friends > On The Way". Makes no sense to be placed there. I won't stop using Waze because of it. But I don't have to like it.
stonierocks

Postby dmcconachie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:12 pm

I can't believe people actually use waze to check in on Foursquare, it's a horrendous implementation!

And to the point you'd stop using waze without it? Come on! Seriously?
dmcconachie

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:09 pm

By a pretty large margin, more users use Waze for traffic avoidance so adding Closure to the Report menu was more important for more users. It's been asked for for a very, very long time.

Check-ins aren't gone, as noted above. There is another way to check-in when you use Waze to route you to a destination.

IMG_0806.PNG
(13.91 KiB) Downloaded 4909 times

IMG_0807.PNG
(33.52 KiB) Downloaded 4907 times

Maybe if they finally get rid of the Camera report button (because 99% of drivers are clueless about what a traffic enforcement camera looks like anyway and the map is spammed with them every day), the 4sq button could return...
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonsf » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:59 pm

In the beta, if you were using driving directions, the toolbar that showed at the top had a "social" icon that let you check in at the end of your route. I can't find how to check in on Foursquare if you are not using driving directions, though.

UPDATE: I just found the "My Friends" button in the main menu. Click it and you now see a Foursquare Check in button.
jasonsf

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General