are police there?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: are police there?

Postby jmp316 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:08 am

Spil wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
DaveHolzmann wrote:(Could be the police are using Waze and marking themselves as "Not There"... in order to keep their presence somewhat of a surprise.)

That's been suggests before and not something I think can be easily done, but I've not tried this, so I'm not totally confident. The only way to tap "not there" is to have the police "ahead of you" on your route. So if they were running Waze, they'd have to be moving to tap Not There. They could have some coordination going on with someone else doing it for them, but I doubt they are going through that amount of effort.

In addition to that problem ... if they're just sitting there and not moving, Waze will shut down after the inactivity timeout (which is 5-10 minutes, don't remember for sure), so they'd have to keep re-starting Waze. Also, they would be polluting the speed data for the segment that they were last on before pulling off behind the billboard or onto the U-turn ... so Waze could potentially see that as a "traffic jam" and send you a different direction (thus adding to your trip time, but still keeping you from getting the speeding ticket that you deserved ;)).

They could use Live Map from a laptop... I highly doubt it though.
jmp316

Postby Mr_GO_HERD » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:56 am

I usually click that they are there when it comes to police becuase better safe then sorry... getting a ticket that is. :)
Mapping from the plains of Illinois to the mountains of West Virginia!
Mr_GO_HERD

Postby PDXMadDog » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:01 am

I usually lose the notice BEFORE I get to the spot. I agree, letting it stay active for just a little longer would be nice.
PDXMadDog

Postby Spil » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:12 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
vinval1 wrote:When there is a notification for police ahead it asks if he is there. The notification disapears at 0 feet. How am I supposed to respond that he is not there if it disappears at the instant I would see him?

Post your hardware/OS info. I've never personally seen this happen. I see the hazard/police notification near .6 miles or so I think.

Actually, this happens all the time. Yes, the notification shows up around .6 miles, but it disappears the instant you reach the zero mark; thus, the OP's complaint that "not there" can't be selected once you know for sure whether or not the police are actually there.
aigarslv wrote:I think that police/hazard questions do need a bit longer delay.
I agree.
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
Spil
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Spil » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:18 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
DaveHolzmann wrote:(Could be the police are using Waze and marking themselves as "Not There"... in order to keep their presence somewhat of a surprise.)

That's been suggests before and not something I think can be easily done, but I've not tried this, so I'm not totally confident. The only way to tap "not there" is to have the police "ahead of you" on your route. So if they were running Waze, they'd have to be moving to tap Not There. They could have some coordination going on with someone else doing it for them, but I doubt they are going through that amount of effort.

In addition to that problem ... if they're just sitting there and not moving, Waze will shut down after the inactivity timeout (which is 5-10 minutes, don't remember for sure), so they'd have to keep re-starting Waze. Also, they would be polluting the speed data for the segment that they were last on before pulling off behind the billboard or onto the U-turn ... so Waze could potentially see that as a "traffic jam" and send you a different direction (thus adding to your trip time, but still keeping you from getting the speeding ticket that you deserved ;)).
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
Spil
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

are police there?

Postby vinval1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:59 pm

When there is a notification for police ahead it asks if he is there. The notification disapears at 0 feet. How am I supposed to respond that he is not there if it disappears at the instant I would see him?
vinval1

Postby xteejx » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:38 am

Cadurama wrote:You can only report when you are at the location.

I don't think that's anything to do with what these guys are talking about. They're talking about police using a laptop to see on the live map if they're reported.
Please stay on topic and relevant to the thread.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
xteejx

Previous

Return to Website, Community, General